Zeuke-TT, what's new?

Re: Zeuke-TT, what's new?

Postby rdikken » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:07 am

Hi guys,

For the hoppers a hand made coal load is now available. It consist of a small strip of wood with real coal glued on it and finished with mat varnish. It will add about 14 gr to the hopper making it around 40gr in total.

Kind regards,
Rob
Attachments
P1050480.JPG
rdikken

Postby Richard-B » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:30 pm

All
The initial delivery of RTR Zeuke-MTB AAR 3-bay offset-side hoppers are now available for purchase from TT-West... http://www.tt-west.com
These cars are crafted for Zeuke TT (Netherlands) by MTB (Czech Republic) - RTR with trucks and couplers -
1:120 TT-scale, with artwork developed by TT-west from prototype photos.
  • SKU: 22-2311 B&O 435683 Class W-7
    AAR 3-bay offset hopper car Built 1945 - late 1940's with 'Capitol Dome - 13 States' herald
  • SKU: 22-2312 B&O 623040 Class W-7B
    AAR 3-bay offset hopper car Built 1948 - mid-1950s repaint, Billboard w/large ampersand
  • SKU: 22-2313 B&O 624799 Class W-7B
    AAR 3-bay offset hopper car Built 1948 - late 1950s repaint, Billboard w/small ampersand
  • SKU: 22-2316 CN 190655
    AAR 3-bay offset hopper car Built 1954 - repainted 1960s with Canadian National 'noodle'
  • SKU: 22-2318 CP 358877
    AAR 3-bay offset hopper car Built 1954 - repaint with Canadian Pacific Script
  • SKU: 22-2322 ERIE 38328
    AAR 3-bay offset hopper car Built 1930 - early 1950s repaint with small diamond and tall 'ERIE'
  • SKU: 22-0222 SP 440146 Class H-70-5
    AAR 3-bay offset hopper car Built 1949 for T&NO - repainted late-1950s for the Espee
All are USD $40.00, plus shipping and state sales tax (Tax in California ONLY)
I expect to have additional stock in-hand by mid-October.
Richard Brennan - http://www.tt-west.com
Somewhere between Shenzhen and Budapest...
Richard-B

Postby milwrd1 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:22 pm

Received my 3 bay hopper cars last week......Excellent!!! The SP and CP car bodies are very well detailed, the details on the trucks are very good also. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Somewhere, a comment was made that the finish on the cars is to glossy.... don't agree with this, the cars can be weathered with powders or sprayed with Dullcote to dull the finish.

The couplers - does any one know how to remove them? :?: I may rethink this, as the supplied couplers are very close in size to the N scale MTL couplers and are mounted at the correct height. Only complaint with the couplers is the trip pin height, it is to long and will certainly get caught on trackwork. Another easy fix, cut or remove the pin or possibly the pin could be bent up a little bit.

Car weight - as Bill Dixon noted on the entry with the photos dated 8/26/18, there is much room for car weight and can be easily added. As supplied, the cars weigh 0.98 ounces, a car of this length (approximately 41 feet) in accordance with NMRA Recommended Practice (RP20?) should weigh close to 2.3 ounces.

Ordered these from Zeuke-TT in the Netherlands, package arrived to the US in 2 1/2 weeks, Rob Dikken is very easy to work with, will certainly order from him again.
milwrd1

Postby Bill Dixon » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:20 am

20181014 new hoppers.jpg
The new hoppers look good and operated reasonably well.
There were two issues.
The cars are too light. I scoured the hall for coal and ended up with a bag of ballast. A half load into each car made them perform better. I am going to add lead shot to the inside of each hopper, painted black or brown to hide it and add a dummy load like the one Zeuke makes for these cars.

The other issue is the couplers. They are very stiff in side to side operation. They occasionally derailed on fifteen degree crossovers. More weight would help with this. So would different couplers. I am going to investigate changing them.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby Richard-B » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:51 pm

Bill Dixon wrote:<snip> I am going to add lead shot to the inside of each hopper, painted black or brown to hide it
I agree... and there is no slot in the underframe for weight. My thought is to cut some sheet metal (lead?) to exactly fit on the inside slope sheets... so that on casual inspection of an empty car, everything will be aligned (just 1/16in higher than it should be).
Richard-B

Postby krokodil » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:19 pm

In my H0 logcars I made the lead weigths into the bogies.
Greetings from Austria
E.T.
krokodil

Postby Richard-B » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:12 pm

krokodil wrote:In my H0 logcars I made the lead weights into the bogies.
Even LOWER center of Gravity!
Richard-B

Postby milwrd1 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:54 pm

Bill Dixon wrote:
20181014 new hoppers.jpg
The new hoppers look good and operated reasonably well.

The other issue is the couplers. They are very stiff in side to side operation. They occasionally derailed on fifteen degree crossovers. More weight would help with this. So would different couplers. I am going to investigate changing them.

I looked again the other night at removing the installed couplers. I can't seem to figure out how to remove them. :?: It's probably something simple I'm overlooking, since I've previously done many coupler installations. I admit to being a little extra cautious here, since I don't want to break anything. Please post when someone figures out how to do it.
milwrd1

Postby MacG » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:06 pm

I'm trying to write an instruction in English.

• remove the tucks
  • it's possible, that you can then remove the truck bolster with the coupler (I have an unbuilt kit)
  • then hold your thumb on the truck mounting cylinder or sidewise on it
  • push with a screwdriver (as a lever) from behind at the coupler box
  • use your thumb as a pivot point for the screwdriver
  • then comes the box through the frame - done!

For installing the coupler, push the box from outside into the frame.
Lok-n-Roll.de - we send worldwide :wink:
MacG

Postby Richard-B » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:04 pm

milwrd1 wrote:I looked again the other night at removing the installed couplers. I can't seem to figure out how to remove them. :?: It's probably something simple I'm overlooking, since I've previously done many coupler installations. I admit to being a little extra cautious here, since I don't want to break anything. Please post when someone figures out how to do it.
Working with an RTR 3-bay Hopper:
  • Removing the truck mounting screw (with 000 Phillips screwdriver) releases both the truck, and the entire end sub-frame assembly with coupler pocket assembly.
  • The coupler assembly is held to the sub-frame with a press fit and two small nubs on the bottom of the coupler pocket.
  • I used needle-nose pliers, tilted with one jaw on the sub-frame, and the other on the back of the coupler pocket, to gently apply pressure and 'squeeze' out the coupler assembly
  • Replacing the coupler with a different type would require further analysis...
Last edited by Richard-B on Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richard-B

PreviousNext

Return to Buy, Sell, Trade