zeke

Talk about anything and everything!

zeke

Postby jmass » Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:53 pm

hey sailor, what is the designation of zeke? i think i just got the same loco. it came as part of a bttb t shaped train set but thiers no paperwork saying what kind of engine it is. or the freight cars for that matter.
jmass

Re: zeke

Postby CSD » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:46 am

TT_train.jpg

If it is the engine in the picture you got yourself a German BR 81. 10 of these where built in 1927 for heavy shunting work. After WW2 all ten stayed in West Germany and served into the 1960's. As far as the cars go, they are an assortment of standard european stock. I have exactly the same set shown and my cars are all lettered for East Germany (DR) except for the West German reefer (DB). I can't remember if the locomotive is in its prewar numbering (DR) or post (DB).
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby jmass » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:48 am

thats the one! its actually a nice little set that runs very well for a set that looks like it might of been produced in the sixties or seventies. im giving it to my granson who like me is a train freak, and trying to teach him the little i know about tt scale. thanks my freind.
jmass

Postby TTSMR » Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:55 pm

You have the 'T-Set' so named for the 'T' shape of the box.

These were produce for the US market and several hundred or more were imported. I sold a couple hundred myself. They still show up on eBay every now and then.

A Rail Power 1300 power pack was paired with the set and it listed for $129.00. It included an oval of Piltz (Tillig) nickle silver track. Rolling stock included a goods van, stock car, reefer and a flat car with a 20' container.

Some had cardboard inserts and some had styrofoam inserts.

Most were sold for around $60.00 each.

The little BR-01tank loco was a good little runner tho a bit noisy. The prototype was designed to run forward and backward so they didnt need to turn it around. It didnt have a very fast top speed.

When I displayed the set I always ran the loco backward. People would come up and tell me I had it on'backward'!

A couple od investers helped import a huge shipment of these and ather Tillig products but the company they invested in apparently went bankrupt. The investers were given all of the remaining stock in return for thier lost investment. They sold off the stock to recoup as much money as possible. I was told by one of them that they lost a great deal of money on this venture.

This little loco could repainted and turned into a US tank loco for US proto guys.

TTSMR

Postby ConducTTor » Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:59 pm

I'm curious which one of does NOT have the T set. It's a nice little set - I picked mine up brand new off Ebay for $35 last year. A lovely investment :mrgreen:
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby CSD » Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:06 pm

ConducTTor wrote:I'm curious which one of does NOT have the T set. It's a nice little set - I picked mine up brand new off Ebay for $35 last year. A lovely investment :mrgreen:

I managed to pick mine up in Vancouver along with a Karwendel (sp?) Express Train set for more money than it was worth. You can imagine my surprise at finding them. The store owner said the only people who ever showed any interest in them were German tourists.
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby AstroGoat760 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:35 pm

I think I spent about $60 on my T-set from eBay.

Here is a photo of Zeke (left), and the BR 81(right) from my T-set.

Also seen are the tail end of my PVM 25T, the snout of my attempt of a F45, and an O-27 Southern crane boom car.

Zeke is a BR81, made by Zeuke, and oddly enough there are a number of differences between the two aside from couplers and frame. Zeke is a BR81 , number 81013, while the T-set is 81001. There is crisper detail in the T-set loco, as well as more decals.

Overall Zeke is a little heavier and slower, and pulls a few more cars than my T-set engine can.

And no, so far no other TT-gauge engines have names, in fact the only other engines that I have that have names are Cheyenne, a ride on (8 3/4" gauge) 4-4-0, and Betsy Ross, a 1950 Unique Lines 0-4-0 that I got for a few bucks at an antique shop due to the fact that she did not run, with the aid of a screwdriver, I had the thing working in about 3 minutes, much to the dismay of the shopkeeper. Since the engine was on a shelf with a small flag in the smokestack, that is where the name came from.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Return to Off Topic