Y6b steamer

Post your photos and video links here

Y6b steamer

Postby Bernd » Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:59 pm

The Big Boy thread got me to searching for some video's Talk then turned to the N&W's Y6b. I found a new video of three of them taking a coal train up grade and then down the other side. Enjoy.

Bernd
Bernd

Re: Y6b steamer

Postby AstroGoat760 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:08 pm

We have seen the 2156 back when it was at the Museum of Transportation in St. Louis, MO. I will see if I can find good photos of it.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby ConducTTor » Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:44 pm

175 wagonload???? Holy shite!
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Bernd » Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:11 pm

ConducTTor wrote:175 wagonload???? Holy shite!

Amazing ain't it? I've been trying to find a video of electric boxcabs pulling coal up hill. It was one of those side rod electric engines. Said it could out pull a steam powered train. It was on the Virginian Railway.

Bernd
Bernd

Postby richardedmonds » Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:40 pm

Bernd wrote:
ConducTTor wrote:175 wagonload???? Holy shite!

Amazing ain't it? I've been trying to find a video of electric boxcabs pulling coal up hill. It was one of those side rod electric engines. Said it could out pull a steam powered train. It was on the Virginian Railway.

Bernd

There was an extensive write up on the Electric Virginian in the Arrow which is the Norfolk and Western Historical Society magazine. Pretty impressive stuff really and I am not sure while they gave up on the Electrics and reverted back to steam. Don't know where I saw it but there is a vintage video of these loco's somewhere out there
richardedmonds

Postby milwrd1 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:30 pm

richardedmonds wrote:
There was an extensive write up on the Electric Virginian in the Arrow which is the Norfolk and Western Historical Society magazine. Pretty impressive stuff really and I am not sure while they gave up on the Electrics and reverted back to steam. Don't know where I saw it but there is a vintage video of these loco's somewhere out there

Amazing video :!: :!:

I believe the Virginian "gave up" on the electrics due to cost. Don't believe it was cost beneficial to upgrade / maintain to infrastructure associated with electric operations, similar to the issues the Milwaukee Road faced with the Pacific electrification in the late 1960's and 1970's.
milwrd1

Postby Marquette » Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:37 pm

Virginian never did give up on electrification - their wire wasn't taken down until after the merger with the N&W.

There's only two reasons any American railroad gave up on electrificaion - often both reasons together: 1, too great a focus on the next quarterly report than on long-term savings, and 2, immense pressure from the diesel builders and the oil industry. Although I don't know of proof of bribery as happened with urban transit's switch from streetcars to diesel busses, I'm sure that also played a part.

As for the Milwaukee... I'm pretty certain that if instead of dieselising, they had invested in upgrading their electrification and closing the gap between the two electrified districts, and abandoning the eastern lines, they might well still be around.
http://espeett.blogspot.com - The SP in 1:120 - my attempt at a blog
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Postby richardedmonds » Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:39 pm

[quote="Marquette"]Virginian never did give up on electrification - their wire wasn't taken down until after the merger with the N&W.

Quite right Marquette thanks for pointing that out. Should have known that! I have enough articles on the Electric N&W after the merger.
richardedmonds

Postby milwrd1 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:01 pm

Marquette wrote:Virginian never did give up on electrification - their wire wasn't taken down until after the merger with the N&W.

There's only two reasons any American railroad gave up on electrificaion - often both reasons together: 1, too great a focus on the next quarterly report than on long-term savings, and 2, immense pressure from the diesel builders and the oil industry. Although I don't know of proof of bribery as happened with urban transit's switch from streetcars to diesel busses, I'm sure that also played a part.

As for the Milwaukee... I'm pretty certain that if instead of dieselising, they had invested in upgrading their electrification and closing the gap between the two electrified districts, and abandoning the eastern lines, they might well still be around.

I agree with reason 1, reason 2 probably had some influence as well. By 1970 the electrified portion of the Milwaukee Road was worn out. Considering the Milwaukee's financial situation, the costs associated with upgrading the electric infrastructure were prohibitive. Electric locomotives would most likely have to be sourced from overseas. There was some discussion about using AC for the electrified sections, this would generate additional costs. Don't know if any American companies were producing electric locomotives at the time. American made diesels were readily available.

All can agree that closing the gap between the two electrified districts was something the Milwaukee should have done (many years ago). I believe the cost benefit would have been substantial. Don't know about abandoning the eastern lines, no money was being made on the western (electric) section, whatever money the Milwaukee made in those days had to come from somewhere.....

Sorry for getting off thread, back to the Y6b's.
milwrd1

Return to Photos / Videos