Worsley FA and FB etches

Re: Worsley FA and FB etches

Postby richardedmonds » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:03 pm

I was just looking at those etches and if you are trying to buy some from Allen "then don't" well not yet anyway, it appears that the roof section is a tad too wide and will not fit the cab correctly. When I get some time I will look at it again and maybe get Allen to reduce the distance to try to fit a resin cab which I will try to copy soon. Got to say though with these advances with the new locos recently I am not sure whether or not to keep plugging away at the older stuff any more. Any opinions ??????????????
richardedmonds

Postby Zs12 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:12 am

I also thought about making some new parts the CAD-way. Especially a new cabine/front should be more exact and true to scale. But I think too the quality of the Kemtron FA and FB is still nearly up to date. A cast of this old metal parts would be OK for the most of us. Or wouldn't it?
I just know the resin molded FA and FB by the german a&k (they were supplied via http://www.siggis-modellbahn-shop.de/) and they look pretty good.

best regards
> lüTTe
Last edited by Zs12 on Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Zs12

Postby scaro » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:37 am

yes, i have a resin casting of the kemtron FA from somewhere and the quality is excellent.
scaro

Postby richardedmonds » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:11 pm

To be honest I did not know that there was a resin copy of the kemtron units. In that case I will not bother doing anything more with my bits. A&D products are very good so I do not doubt the quality of the resin copy in any way and am glad that others can have access to the model even if not in the original brass. All I need now is to find the brass etch for the RS1 that I saw on the Iris creek valley which I simply adore
richardedmonds

Postby Carsten » Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:54 pm

In that case a&k, but it doesn't make any difference. The master has been build out of the Kemtron parts.
Carsten

Postby AstroGoat760 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:06 pm

There are whitemetal kits out there that allow one to make a mold of an item and reproduce it in whitemetal. I have done some research into such kits, especially after my whitemetal HP steamer shell was damaged. When done thick enough white metal resists sagging and bending, however is is still rather soft and ductile, so use of whitemetal for framing is not a good idea. Even my whitemetal A-4 uses a Tri-Ang Pacific chassis.

Whitemetal casting is not a dead art at all. Catt and I were doing some experiments with such casting prior to our move, however getting our house upgraded takes first priority, as casting a copy of my Kemtron FA was, and still on the list of things to make.

Resin is nice, but sometimes the older methods are better suited for a task.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Previous

Return to Prototypes / Models