Working with resin?

Working with resin?

Postby AstroGoat760 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:27 pm

I am curious as to if anyone out there has done any work with resin at all.

My wife and I have decided that we want to make 1:120 models of our 1985 Ford F-150, our 1993 Ford Aerostar, and of our trio of late 1960's Ford yard tractors, and that the best way to make duplicates would be to make a mold and use resin.

What would be the best place to get resin supplies?

Any tips or tricks to working with resin?

Thanks,

James the Angry Sailor
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Re: Working with resin?

Postby scaro » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:28 am

A few tips only.

My main experience over the past few years has been with Easy-cast and similar urethane resins that cure to a creamy white colour. There may be better products now.

You do not have a lot of working time before the resin hardens, as little as a minute.

On the up side, this type of resin is very viscous and flows into just about every nook and cranny in the mold.

The cured urethane is not likely to shrink or bow like the older epoxy resins. Or shatter- epoxy was incredibly brittle.

As it has a very smooth surface, it doesn’t create much friction and may be used for things like trucks (even without bearings).

If you live somewhere tropical, the resin may spoil more quickly, so buy a smaller quantity rather than a large amount.

To remove bubbles from the rubber when molding, if you can’t afford a vacuum chamber or don’t have the parts to rig one up, try sticking the poured rubber mold on the washing machine and bung a load in- the vibration will remove just about all the bubbles.

Ben
scaro

Postby CSD » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:03 am

I've got a few pictures of a casting resin loco under the topic brasswork (viewtopic.php?f=3&t=67) if you are curious about the results. I'll have to try the washing machine trick. It usually takes me more than one pour before I get the result I want. This site (http://www.alumilite.com/) has some good tutorials on it.
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby AstroGoat760 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:36 pm

Thanks for the info so far.

What would be the best medium to make the original out of?

Nicholle thinks that clay would be a good medium, as she worked with it a lot before we got married.

We intend on using a method that was in an article in the March and April 1950 issues of Model Railroader "How to Build a Freight Car with a Camera and a Metal Tape".

The article showed how to make a model using pictures of the car/item in question with measurements of key points recorded, and making a drawing of each side of the item with a graph type paper for the sides of the item to be built.

I think that would apply to a relatively boxy looking van...
Felecity.5.JPG

And a classic old Ford yard tractor......
Gretchen at purchase 2.JPG

Once I am able to get the molds made and figure out how to use resin and make it work right, I will be glad to make more and get some American prototype TT scale vehicles on many 1:120 roads.
AstroGoat760

Postby jmass » Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:30 pm

anybody ever try to make cast resin copys of the rugged rails gp9 and f3? might make it a little cheaper for kits.
jmass

Postby areibel » Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:08 pm

I've played around with the stuff from Smooth On-
http://www.smoothon.com
Their OOMO (what they call it) mold rubbers and their Smooth Cast 300 are simple to use- all are 50/50 mixes (no need to weigh the individual components), no need to vacuum the rubber to remove bubbles, the plastic doesn't set up too fast, etc.. They make a Starter pack to learn with, you can get them for around $30 each. And there's a lot of tech info on their site.
areibel

Postby AstroGoat760 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:08 pm

Excellent, I will have to look them up and perhaps give that stuff a try.
AstroGoat760

Return to Prototypes / Models