Working on powered trucks

Re: Working on powered trucks

Postby ctxmf74 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:53 am

"As much as I like flywheels, they take up space. They also add a significant load on the motor bearings (assuming that they are on the motor shaft), and I have concerns about doing that to these small motors. Also, I feel that if the mechanism is smooth enough, a flywheel isn't needed. DCC can do a lot as well, if it's an option."

I tend to agree. The main advantage of a flywheel is to help the motor coast over dead spots in the track. A keep alive capacitor can do the same thing so flywheels are not as necessary as they once were. I still like to have them to smooth out the power application but not if they cause other design problems.....DaveB
ctxmf74

Postby CSD » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:15 pm

On some other models I have seen where a motor is used on each truck they have been tied together by a shaft to keep each motor at the same speed. I suppose if one was to install such a shaft with universal joints, the flywheel could be mounted there and the turning radius would be maintained.
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby milwrd1 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:34 pm

Just some additional input......I think flywheels are almost a necessity, for good operating characteristics (starting and stopping) and for "coasting" through short pieces of track where the motor may momentarily lose power. A majority of the good running engines today (in all scales) use flywheels. I am aware of the design considerations.

Considering 1 motor per truck, the motor speeds have to be matched or additional problems are created. CSD mentioned one possible solution.

Is there a potential list of all of the available parts required to build the truck once the truck frame / chassis is obtained from Shapeways? NWSL wheels and I believe Tenshodo gears have been mentioned, is there a complete list available (to possibly build a prototype) :?:
milwrd1

Postby areibel » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:37 pm

If you go to the Shapeways page Ken listed, everything is listed on there. The individual parts are listed as links to the place to buy them, and instructions on how to put it all together.
areibel

Postby ctxmf74 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:44 pm

"Considering 1 motor per truck, the motor speeds have to be matched or additional problems are created. CSD mentioned one possible solution."

If one goes to the trouble of connecting two little motors with a U-joint and flywheel might as well just put one big motor in the middle and drive the trucks from there, a single motor simplifies the wiring as well as the mechanics of the design.
A flywheel doesn't help a motor get going , it does help it stay going over dead spots but a keep alive capacitor can do that too. Flywheels should be incorporated where ever possible unless their inclusion would cause more problems than they solve.....DaveB
ctxmf74

Postby milwrd1 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:49 pm

areibel wrote:If you go to the Shapeways page Ken listed, everything is listed on there. The individual parts are listed as links to the place to buy them, and instructions on how to put it all together.

Thanks Al :thumbup: . I'll take a look at the info you mentioned when I get a chance.
milwrd1

Postby milwrd1 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:53 pm

ctxmf74 wrote:"Considering 1 motor per truck, the motor speeds have to be matched or additional problems are created. CSD mentioned one possible solution."

If one goes to the trouble of connecting two little motors with a U-joint and flywheel might as well just put one big motor in the middle and drive the trucks from there, a single motor simplifies the wiring as well as the mechanics of the design.
A flywheel doesn't help a motor get going , it does help it stay going over dead spots but a keep alive capacitor can do that too. Flywheels should be incorporated where ever possible unless their inclusion would cause more problems than they solve.....DaveB

Agreed. A flywheel does not help a motor get going, but it sure can help minimize the unwanted "jack rabbit" start when the engine starts to move, especially if the engine is lightly loaded.
milwrd1

Postby DKRickman » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:56 pm

Al beat me to it - I tried to list everything needed on the Shapeways page. Of course, I'll be happy to answer any questions.

On the subject of matching two motors: I've thought abut it, and there are two possible ways to deal with the issue - if it turns out to be an issue at all. One would be to connect the two motors with a drive shaft. I wouldn't put a flywheel on it, but rather just let it "float" between the trucks. The other would be to use one motor. I have a no-motor version in the works, with the thought that it can be driven from a powered truck much like the old Hobbytown drives. If you notice the little dimples on the ends of the trucks, they are there to mark the worm shaft locations, making it easy to drill a hole in the right location to pass the shaft and connect a universal joint.
Trying something different, using 3D printing to make better models.
My Shapeways Shop
DKRickman

Postby CSD » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:57 pm

Thanks for the product listing. That makes things easy.
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby DKRickman » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:04 pm

CSD wrote:That makes things easy.

Well, I'm not going to try to make it hard!

By the way, I want to point out that I am NOT trying to step on any toes here, and I don't want to compete with someone who is making a viable product. My only goal is to help make some new models available, doing my little part.

Also, I have no intention of making these trucks available RTR. I don't have the time, and it would just make things more expensive since I'd have to pay the same price as anyone else and then charge more for shipping and my time. However, I don't mind a bit if someone else decides to make and sell them. In fact, I'd love to see that happen.
Trying something different, using 3D printing to make better models.
My Shapeways Shop
DKRickman

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion