Work in progress...

Post your photos and video links here

Work in progress...

Postby Gummy-Joe » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:55 am

Howdy!

After lurking around the forum for a while, I feel the need to contribute something of my own to the board. Have never really got very far with my modelling: N (UK & US), HO, OO, TT3- tried 'em all. N is just too damn small, and OO/HO demands too much space... So TT is now on the radar :-)

SD45T-2 model 1.jpg

SD45T-2 model 3.jpg

Seeing the CAD work on here (U30B, GP38-2, etc) has given me the push to get something started myself - RP printing is something that I am particularly interested in, especially as I can't get styrene cut straight or glued square :P

First attempts at using SketchUp, 'teaching' myself as I go; maybe 10hrs total time so far. This is just me messing about - aiming to get a 'serious' CAD programme when the bank account can handle it.

Hope to get skills up to a standard whereby I can produce something useful. Not sure how useful a 20 cylinder tunnel motor is for other people, but for me they take some beating!

GJ, NZL
Gummy-Joe

Re: Work in progress...

Postby jmass » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:14 am

any and all contributions are appreciated in this scale! looks like a good start to me!
jmass

Postby richardedmonds » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:39 am

Gummy for someone like me who just cannot get his head around autocad 2007 I think your work is bloody marvellous well done keep it up mate
richardedmonds

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:25 am

Welcome to the site Gummy! My suggestion is to start with cars - mainly because locos require a chassis, drive mech, etc. If you do cars your work will come to life MUCH faster.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Gummy-Joe » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:21 am

Thanks for your responses guys!

ConducTTor: I fully agree with you about the cars vs. locomotives. Unfortunately, I don't really have much in the way of plans for cars (at least ones that I'd like for myself...) :(

However, I do have the May 1973 edition of Railroad Model Craftsman® on hand with an SD45X/SD45T-2/SD45-2 'Plan Parade' :grin:

It came down to either the tunnel motor or the AC4400CW (which I have a good set of plans for courtesy of the folks at Model Railroader). The GE looked even more complicated, so the EMD won.

Does anyone have any good suggestions for sources for plans? I find that when I can locate a plan, they are usually just of one side elevation. With the closest prototype NA equipment about 7000 miles away, plans are pretty vital: both sides, top, front and rear...

Covered hoppers are what I'm looking at in terms of CAD freight cars - particularly the PS4427 cuft, and the ACF 4600/4650 cuft series (which would both be quite useful to many people due to their long lives). I'd also quite like some autoracks and 86' autoparts box cars :thinking:

GJ
Gummy-Joe

Postby ConducTTor » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:56 pm

If by "plans" you mean technical drawings/blueprints/etc., I do a lot of research online and seek out books with such info when go to various shows. I don't have anything specific for cars. Marquette will probably "drop by" at some point (he's the resident freight car encyclopedia) and he'll likely have suggestions for you.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Marquette » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:54 am

Hi!

Well, I'm at most only a partial encyclopedia - the vast bulk of my materials centres on equipment built between roughly 1915 and 1955. I do, though, have the occasional bit of information about earlier or later equipment, though that's almost all in my magazine collection.

If there's something you're after, though, say so, I just might have something useful...
http://espeett.blogspot.com - The SP in 1:120 - my attempt at a blog
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Postby scaro » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:36 am

the trainiax site at least gives you both sides which may be some help :

http://trainiax.net/me55-emdsd45.php

ben
scaro

Postby Gummy-Joe » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:41 pm

scaro wrote:the trainiax site at least gives you both sides which may be some help :

http://trainiax.net/me55-emdsd45.php

ben

That's brilliant Ben; thanks! I'm sure this will prove super helpful :dance:
Gummy-Joe

Postby CSD » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:29 pm

You may also wish to look here: http://www.trainweb.org/willstrainart/Art_Index.htm

Click on the builder name to view the drawings. He will also supply customised measured drawings, but they are not cheep. Very nice though. I used acquired one for the development of the SW1200.
Mark
//S
CSD

Next

Return to Photos / Videos