wood paper kits

wood paper kits

Postby jmass » Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:02 pm

anybody have any information on the wood and paper frieght car kits that are all over ebay. who produced them and how old they might be?thanks.
jmass

Re: wood paper kits

Postby ConducTTor » Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:10 pm

Link?
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the ruling class know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby AstroGoat760 » Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:40 pm

jmass wrote:anybody have any information on the wood and paper frieght car kits that are all over ebay. who produced them and how old they might be?thanks.

Without a better look, it would be hard to determine. Jewel made wood and paper kits, and are roughly 5 decades old, give or take a few years.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby areibel » Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:00 pm

They could be Gandy Dancer, Starline, Jewel, Nielsen or a couple others. There's no real way to tell them apart with out a catalog, and even then a lot of the same road names were made by different companies. Most companies used HP trucks and couplers on all their rolling stock so they may look like HP cars but they aren't.
Sailor is right, they're probably all pre-1960. There were a few companies that did boxcars made of other materials, Gandy Dancer made a cast white metal 40' box that went over a wooden frame similar to these. They were nicely detailed but weighed a ton, like the Kemtron Hopper cars. Starline made a beautiful boxcar with plastic sides, roof and ends and they were pre printed with different logos, but unfortunatley the plastics weren't stable. The plastic would shrink and distort badly, even if it was glued to a car. Finding a nice one today is rare. And HP produced a nice plastic sided boxcar just before they sold out, they were later sold under the Allegheny Models name.
areibel

Postby jmass » Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:08 pm

dont know the link, i just go to ebay and write in the search box, tt scale trains. unfortionatly that also brings up trees and fences and anything else that might be ho/tt scale.if i knew what i was doing on a computer besides checking e mails and such , i could probly eliminate half that crap.
jmass

Postby areibel » Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:06 pm

If you search for item #230404747051 you'll find one lot, then look at the seller's other items.
This lot is interesting because it has one of the plastic sided Starline boxcars I mentioned earlier. It's the one just above the caboose, one of the ends is next to the caboose. Looking at the pic you can see the edges of the wood bracing, you can see the side has shrunk about an eighth of an inch already, if not more. And the end looks like it's started to curl- that one is a parts only one, too bad!
areibel

Postby jmass » Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:45 pm

thanks for the info Al, it seems that there might be a lot of work to make those cars runnable. altho their is alot of them. its the most ive seen for ttscale of american prototypes. might be a good learning excperence for a guy like me whos neverd dabbled in kit building.might be able to make a few good ones out of the many.
jmass

Postby areibel » Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:42 pm

I say go for it!
If the sides are in decent shape the rest isn't bad. I can remember the first TT kit I bought off of ebay about 10 years ago. I waited anxiously for it, opened it up and thought "what is this crap?"! It was an old Gandy dancer kit, so there were two printed sides, two printed ends, the wood frame and a pile of small strip wood. But I built it, and it didn't turn out too bad. I learned early that the printed ends are more of a pain than they're worth, once I found Possum Valley's parts I started putting cast resin ends on, it makes a much nicer looking result.
There are a few guys out there with parts, and you can actually use the newer trucks with Kadee or Microtrains couplers and make them nice runners. You can clean them up a bit, get a bottle of boxcar red paint for small touch ups and have at it!
areibel

Postby AstroGoat760 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:25 pm

As I have some experience with the wood/paper/cardstock/voodoo magic TT scale cars, I got four of the lots that were on eBay over the past few days, for a total of 23 more freight cars (in varied states of assembly) for the fleet.As of this time, I can't get a count of cars in my American prototype TT fleet, as Nicholle misplaced a box with about a dozen and a half cars in it, including a number of heavyweight style passenger cars.

Some makes were distinctive. Jewel models used embossed glossy cardstock for several of it's models.

The shape and beveling of HP Product's flooring is in itself a giveaway as to if a car is HP Products or not.

Aside from model parts made out of pot metal, most models will last quite well as long as they are taken care of. (Some pot metal parts will degrade over time due to impurities in the metal causing flaking and brittle fracture.)
AstroGoat760

Postby AstroGoat760 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:07 pm

The box of cars showed up today.

23 new (well new to me...) cars for the fleet.
Aside from most needing trucks and couplers, most of the cars are in good condition, most work needed is little more than a little glue work, and some paint here and there.

ImageImageImage

Only two of the lot are HP Products items, the caboose, and the Southern Railways cattle car, one is a Jewel, and the rest are going to be hard to tell who made them.

23 cars for $37.25, plus $8.00 shipping, not too shabby...
AstroGoat760

Next

Return to General Discussion