Wiring practices

Re: Wiring practices

Postby Tom Dempsey » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:11 pm

Not a big fan of suitcase connectors long term. They tend to create failures down the road, usually at the most inopportune moments. I do like the bell wire approach though.
Tom Dempsey

Postby Surovi » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:14 pm

Thanks both!
:thumbup:
Surovi

Postby Richard-B » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:26 pm

Tom Dempsey wrote:Not a big fan of suitcase connectors long term. They tend to create failures down the road
I would NEVER use the suitcase connector on anything that was going to flex...
Since they bite into the wires to form the junction... bending could create a point of failure.
That said... these are intended for automotive applications... so some vibration is fair game.

Also... I never remove the connector from the 14AWG if I rewire something... I just cut the tap wire flush and leave the connector where it is. Trying to pry the suitcase from the 14AWG could cause more problems than it is worth.
Richard Brennan - http://www.tt-west.com
Somewhere between Shenzhen and Budapest...
Richard-B

Postby krokodil » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:16 am

IMG_2976.JPG
DB9

I also try to avoid such "suitcase" connectors. They work quite well on flexible wires but the solid wires practically damage the connector.
They are also designed for thicker wires as we usually use.
Additionally on the layout it is always very good if we can open any connection, to change the wires or make the wiring nicer. For that reason I prefer screw type connectors.
For multiple wires I use the cheap and extremely reliable D type connectors. They have different sizes DB9, DB25 pin connectors are the most popular and the cheapest. On the picture there the DB9 male type.
Greetings from Austria
E.T.
krokodil

Postby Surovi » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:34 pm

:thumbup:
Surovi

Previous

Return to Electric / DCC