Who else is modelling TT scale narrow gauge ?

Re: Who else is modelling TT scale narrow gauge ?

Postby Biased turkey » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:07 pm

Thank you AngrySailor302, Marquette, j p, scaro for taking some of your valuable time to reply and for all those interesting links
In my opinion, the easiest way to model the TT scale narrow gauge is to use N scale 9 mmm track, almost perfect for simulating metric gauge.
I'm puzzled here because my wife is Brasilian, I visit Brasil almost every year, about 90% of their railroad trackage is metric and ... so far I've never seen any Brasilian metric model railroad.
The biggest model railroad manufacturer in Brasil ( Frateschi ) is modelling HO scale 16,5 mm standard gauge.
http://www.frateschi.com.br/site/
Go figure.

Jacques
Biased turkey

Postby Biased turkey » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:17 am

I checked the link, Chris Happé did a great job with that G-12 engine.
I really like the Canadien National green and gold livery ( I have 2 of them in N scale )

Jacques

AngrySailor302 wrote:
Marquette wrote:I don't know if they're on this forum, but I do know TT narrow gauge is quite a thing in New Zealand, and I believe someone has done some Canadian National/Newfoundland Railway stuff in TT...

There is a photo on TTscale.com of a TT scale 42" gauge G-12 locomotive in Canadian National livery that runs on N gauge track. (Actually 42" of prototype size converts to 8.89 mm, which is 0.11 mm narrower than that is the N scale 9mm track gauge, but who is counting...)

The photo is about halfway down on the Gallery 2 page.
Biased turkey

Postby TTTerrific » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:30 am

Over the years I have scratch-built about ten TTn42" NG freight cars (box cars, flat cars, gondola, a tank car.) I also "bashed" a "critter" from an old four-wheel Euro diesel switcher. In fact, I'm in the process of receiving a replacement power unit (a KATO 4 whl some-or-other from BLW) for $16.00 bucks. The original drive was pure junk, unless you enjoy watching your little loco scooting along at a scale 200 mph!. I'll try to post some pics of this project when I get the new unit installed, and some of the unpainted cars painted and prettied-up for service.

Like someone else mentioned, I too, am sticking mostly to TT northamerican std stuff.
TTTerrific

Postby scaro » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:27 am

Biased turkey wrote:I'm puzzled here because my wife is Brasilian, I visit Brasil almost every year, about 90% of their railroad trackage is metric and ... so far I've never seen any Brasilian metric model railroad.
The biggest model railroad manufacturer in Brasil ( Frateschi ) is modelling HO scale 16,5 mm standard gauge.
http://www.frateschi.com.br/site/
Go figure.

Jacques

there's a huge mileage of narrow gauge track in many countries, in most cases using some variety of off-the-shelf GE or GM export locomotives.

it's an untapped market in my view, with significantly more potential than standard gauge TT ... especially as the N scale mechs are all there ... as folk get richer in those countries we may see some pioneer interest.

worsley works are in the process of doing an etched NZR DH GE loco, and even this one design (U10B i think) saw service in literally dozens of countries.

http://www.nz120.org/forumtopic/ge-dh-project

mark4design even looked at an RP shell for them TT but it didn't go ahead for some reason.

brazil built and used them on both broad and metre gauge i think.
scaro

Postby Arseny » Sun May 06, 2012 10:01 am

Just for you: fine narrow gauge German layout (with a ferry!):
http://rcb-info.de/schmalspur-tt/module ... wahl.shtml

It is not TTm, but TTe.
Arseny

Postby Gummy-Joe » Mon May 07, 2012 2:32 am

AngrySailor302 wrote:There is a photo on TTscale.com of a TT scale 42" gauge G-12 locomotive in Canadian National livery that runs on N gauge track. (Actually 42" of prototype size converts to 8.89 mm, which is 0.11 mm narrower than that is the N scale 9mm track gauge, but who is counting...)

The photo is about halfway down on the Gallery 2 page.

Here's some more on the CN G-12 (which Chris has bashed from a model of the NZ G12 variant, the DA class)

http://www.nmra.org/beginner/scratchbuild/bash_g12.html

http://www.automationz.co.nz/nz120/diesels.html

GJ
Gummy-Joe

Postby Biased turkey » Mon May 21, 2012 12:28 am

Thank you TTTerrific, scaro, Arseny and Gummy-Joe for taking some of your valuable time to reply.
Interesting links to the U10B and that TTe layout ( the ferry is quite impressive ).

Jacques
Biased turkey

Postby Marquette » Mon May 21, 2012 12:24 pm

Re Frateschi, I've heard their models are actually closer to 1:76 or 1:80 or something like that?
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Postby scaro » Mon May 21, 2012 1:55 pm

yep. the frateschi is more like OO than HO. i was watching one on a cuban themed layout last weekend and it's way bigger than it should be beside a USRA boxcar.

ben
scaro

Postby Biased turkey » Mon May 21, 2012 3:13 pm

Interesting point here, maybe it could be the start of a new topic.
I found a Brazilian website that mentions the problem:
http://vfco.brazilia.jor.br/historia/bitesc/Frateschi-escala-OO-HO.shtml
Have a look at the chart, some Frateschi engines are HO scale, some are not.

During my last trip to Brasil, I purchased the Frateschi U5B engine, unfortunately, it is a 1/78.8 model.
It's a little annoying because a very good Brazilian friend of mine owns a microbrewery, I build a paper model of it but at the 1/87.1 scale :x

My wife is Brazilian, so i'm quite fluent in Portuguese and it's interesting to see what's going on the Brazilian model railroad scene.

Jacques

scaro wrote:yep. the frateschi is more like OO than HO. i was watching one on a cuban themed layout last weekend and it's way bigger than it should be beside a USRA boxcar.

ben
Biased turkey

Previous

Return to General Discussion