White/black style

Board rules and such. Read before posting.

White/black style

Postby Arseny » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:43 am

I preferred "old" black style of the forum.
But today it become black.
When I go to the personal setting page, I can not select black style, only "White" one. :(
Is it a bug or a feature?.. :?
Arseny

Re: White/black style

Postby railtwister » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:43 am

Hi Arseny,

Same thing happens with me. When I started on this group, the black style must have been the default, because that's what I got. I found it annoying at first, but grew to like it better as I used it, plus it was different than all the other groups (TT is different too). This forced change to the white format is probably the result of an "improvement" some button pusher made while trying to justify his job.

Bill in FtL
railtwister

Postby Marquette » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:37 am

:(
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Postby Marquette » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:47 am

Something more significant than the colour change, is that options have disappeared: the "View unread posts" page no longer has a "mark all as read" option...
Marquette

Postby LVG1 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:11 am

Marquette wrote:the "View unread posts" page no longer has a "mark all as read" option...

Do you mean the "mark all as read" button on the "board index" page?
This one still exists.
"Let's eat, grandpa."
Punctuation marks save lives!
LVG1

Postby ConducTTor » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:21 am

I've riled up the vocal minority :problem:

Sorry guys but maintaining the 3 different styles on forum has become a PITA. Any time there's any kind of updates in software, they inevitably include things which screw the styles. Having 3 styles means I have to fix everything 3 times :evil:

"This forced change to the white format is probably the result of an "improvement" some button pusher made while trying to justify his job."

I hope this button pusher has justified his job :shifty:
My website: https://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Marquette » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:23 am

Not on the "board index" page. On the "View unread posts" page.

ConducTTor: I preferred the white on black, but honestly the colour is irrelevant to me so long as functionality remains! :)
Marquette

Postby ConducTTor » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:37 am

Marquette wrote:Not on the "board index" page. On the "View unread posts" page.

I'll look into that.
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby railtwister » Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:27 pm

ConducTTor wrote:I've riled up the vocal minority :problem:

Sorry guys but maintaining the 3 different styles on forum has become a PITA. Any time there's any kind of updates in software, they inevitably include things which screw the styles. Having 3 styles means I have to fix everything 3 times :evil:

"This forced change to the white format is probably the result of an "improvement" some button pusher made while trying to justify his job."

I hope this button pusher has justified his job :shifty:

Hi Alex,

Since you are the list owner, you are really the only button-pusher that doesn't need to justify his position. However, the button-pushers I was really referring to are the ones who come up with all the frequently unneeded updates, many of whose purpose is only to obsolete previous versions of software/hardware in order to the cash flow moving. As a Mac owner/user, I have seen this all too often, although it also exists in the PC world. Don't ask me about my iPhone 3GS...

As for the white vs. black screen, I didn't realize why I had grown to prefer the black over the white, until my wife pointed out that the light emitted from white leds like monitors) is thought to be problematic for Human Circadian Systems, and research is supposedly being done on what the long term effects are. Silly me, I just thought it was because I liked the TTNut forum better than the rest! I can remember when early CRT monitors displayed white on black, then green on black and amber on black, until finally color monitors were introduced.

If you fix the problems with the black screen option, I won't be riled, I promise!

Bill in FtL
railtwister

Postby ConducTTor » Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:44 pm

Well, I don't really mind the updates because for THIS software they're actually useful. There have been some features introduced in the past few years that everyone (on this board) is using that weren't available before. Also there are a lot of things in the background that you guys don't see. Just as an example, the CAPTCHA has been revised several times to combat spam bots from breaking it and registering as legitimate users. Also, the software is completely open source and I don't know of anyone making money from it.

The "problem" is the fact that I don't use the generic styles that come with the board. So, I have to "fix" things that otherwise I wouldn't.

I know what you mean about the white on screen - I'm not particularly thrilled either and others have expressed the same opinion. I'll look into doing something about it but I don't plan on going very dark.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Next

Return to About The Board