Which railway should I model?..

Re: Which railway should I model?..

Postby Arseny » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:26 pm

ctxmf74 wrote:"giant sequoias"

There might be some somewhere in Nevada but most are in California. For Wisconsin scenery I'd do some browsing of towns using google earth and street view to get good ideas for the terrain and the foliage.

Yes, of course; agreed with you.

But I've said that I need giant sequoias only if I model Washington or some other place on the Pacific coast of the America.
As I know there are some sequoias or some other giant trees in Washington or Oregon...

It's funny how we TT scale guys have to pick what we model based on what models we can get. Even though I'm a Southern Pacific guy I had a brass Pennsy caboose so decided to get a Saz model Pennsy switcher and model a Delmarva branchline that I saw in a Lance Mindheim book so i'll be searching the web to see how it should look too ....DaveB[/quote]

Yeah; I am thinking what I should say if I put my BR.44 German steam locomotive from Roco (I love it!) on my layout... :?

Maybe in my world the Bering Strait crossing was already built and trains can run from Europe or Russia throughout the Siberia and Chukot to Alaska, Canada and USA?.. :roll: :grin:
Arseny

Postby areibel » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:36 pm

Arseny wrote:Maybe in my world the Bering Strait crossing was already built and trains can run from Europe or Russia throughout the Siberia and Chukot to Alaska, Canada and USA?.. :roll: :grin:

I just want to know how your coal and water towers (to refill the steam locomotives) are going to be set up along the way!
areibel

Postby Arseny » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:48 pm

areibel wrote:
Arseny wrote:I just want to know how your coal and water towers (to refill the steam locomotives) are going to be set up along the way!

The tunnel (or bridge) will be 86-km long; it is not too long!

There are two islands in the middle of the Bering Strait.; Big Diomede and Little Diomede (Ratmanov Island and Krusenstern Island in Russian); we can build coal and water stations there. :wink:
Big Diomede Island is located about 45 km (28 mi) southeast of Cape Dezhnev on the Chukchi Peninsula; Little Diomede Island is located about 25 kilometres (16 mi) west from the mainland.

So we can start building! :wink:
Arseny

Postby ctxmf74 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:52 pm

"As I know there are some sequoias or some other giant trees in Washington or Oregon..."

Yeah., lots of big trees in Washington, Oregon,and Northern California, mostly Coast redwoods, Douglas fir, pines, cedars, etc. giant Sequoias naturally grow in just a few areas in the Sierra mountains of California. I do have one planted in my yard that's about 25 years old and maybe 15 feet tall so it's gonna take it a long time to become a giant.....DaveB
ctxmf74

Postby ctxmf74 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:55 pm

"I just want to know how your coal and water towers (to refill the steam locomotives) are going to be set up along the way!"

They could get oil from the alaska pipeline but they'd have to keep the water tanks from freezing. Maybe better to pull the trains across with dog teams :>) ......DaveB
ctxmf74

Postby scaro » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:21 pm

Marquette wrote:The beauty is though that custom decals are possible... so you really can model whatever you want!

beauty at a price, i would say. as an example, i was able to get 3 different decals for different boxcars crammed onto one sheet for my custom run by rail graphics and the cost was $US130. you have to get a minimum run of 25 sheets, whether you have any use for the extras or not. it's the way their business works. that's $43 per car. i have no doubt that the product is good and the cost quoted is about the same as others, i will add.

but US railroad yards were known for the diversity of their cars, not having everyone painted the same, unless you want to model some unit coal train, or something.

what this means is if you wanted to have twenty individual cars on a small branchline pike, you are talking at a total cost of $860.

so that's yer lot ... hope you guys are all regular lottery ticket buyers.

i imagine the only way it would ever work is if we operate a decal exchange here where we we list our custom runs and help each other that way.

if you'd like to swap me a P&N set, frank, I can swap you for a Georgia, A&WP and Western of Alabama boxcar set. :wink:
Last edited by scaro on Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
scaro

Postby Arseny » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:21 pm

ctxmf74 wrote:They could get oil from the alaska pipeline but they'd have to keep the water tanks from freezing. Maybe better to pull the trains across with dog teams :>) ......DaveB

We have Trans-Siberian Railway, Baikal–Amur Railroad Mainline and Amur–Yakutsk Railroad Mainline (although it did not use steam locomotives), you have Alaska Railroad - they managed to do it somehow!

BTW, Russia have already built railroad to the Yakutsk on the Lena River - only 1500 miles is to be built! :wink:

P.S. I beleive the smoke in the tunnel is bigger problem than water supply. So maybe it would be necessary to use electric locomotives...
Arseny

Postby ctxmf74 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:38 pm

"i was able to get 3 different decals for different boxcars crammed onto one sheet for my custom run by railgraphics and the cost was $US130. you have to get a minimum run of 25 sheets"

Does that mean one sheet cost $5.20 and will do three cars? If so you should be able to sell some of the decals for more than $5.20 per sheet? ......DaveB
ctxmf74

Postby areibel » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:48 pm

Do what we did in the old days, Ben- mix up the numbers on your cars!
If all your sheets have the same numbers on each, then take the last two or three digits of each car number and flip them around. xxxx10 becomes xxx01, or xx101 could be 110,011, 101, etc.. Lots of fiddling when you're doing the decals but a small set of sharp scissors will yield several different numbers. You might be able to drop your price per car a lot more than you think!
areibel

Postby scaro » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:06 pm

Al, doing that does not run true to the way the road ran. You didn't see huge numbers of the same series of home road cars sitting in a line on the Georgia Road. Nor on many others, that I've seen. They were in interchange. With my sets, I can possibly model about five or six different vehicles.

My 'doomsday' scenario on decals or lettering here isn't just a TT thing. It's not a negative view either, it is an actual thing which is happening to all small scales and even to more arcane HO modelling.

I am certain that if a cheap way of lettering stock is not found, kit building and bashing and scales that depend on it, will die away.

That is not a thing that gives me pleasure to say, but US railroading was almost unique in the world in having such a variety of uniquely lettered vehicles in use, running side by side. And that lettering in the 'classic' era was mainly white ... the one colour modern printers cannot print. That makes it a perfect storm, if you like.

If I compare with an Australian railway, by comparison, for example, my state of Tasmania lettered all its wagons with variations of the same thing, so it's not an issue. And their lettering was a lot more modest ... as a government railway it didn't need to advertise, so you had very few slogans like American roads. They only interchanged with one private railway, and it used a very similar lettering style.
Last edited by scaro on Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scaro

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion