Which railway should I model?..

Re: Which railway should I model?..

Postby Arseny » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:51 pm

Another question: and what if I "transfer" my layout in 1960s or 1970s? For example, if I buy the Norkin's SD45 - what painting scheme should I use for it?
The natural choice is Soo Line as you said, but I do not like their painting scheme for diesels...
Maybe Wisconsin Central? But it started only in 1980s, too late... But they used some SD45s! :think:

Do you know some else railroads that could use the Soo Line's stuff, used SD45 and had a nice painting scheme for them? ;)
Arseny

Postby Marquette » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:07 pm

Well, you could do like I'm planning... I'm going to get a U30B when it's done, even though it doesn't fit my 1952 Michigan setting - which means I can do whatever I want with it. I like the Milwaukee Road and I like U-boats, so my U30B will end up in Milwaukee orange and black. Since it doesn't fit the time or the place of my layout-to-be, it won't live on the layout, but sometimes I can put it on to give it a run. :)
http://espeett.blogspot.com - The SP in 1:120 - my attempt at a blog
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Postby Arseny » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:42 pm

Hmmm.... The same era... Almost the same region... the same plans to use diesels... And to say more, you can read Russian!.. Are you my lost brother? :o :lol: :lol:

The Milwaukee is nice painting scheme.
But I wonder to know, if Milwaukee locomotive could be in use on Soo Line, formed DSS&A rails? How can I explain it?
Maybe, it was leased?..
Arseny

Postby Marquette » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:31 pm

:D Russian is hard to read, too many extra vowels, too many extra letters in the Cyrillic... ;) (more seriously, though, the extra letters я ю ы щ do make it a bit difficult for me, as I'm not used to reading them... but then, Serbian probably has some letters you don't know, ђ ј љ њ ћ џ...)

Weeeellll... there almost was a relationship between the Milwaukee and the Soo Line. The Milwaukee had a very troubled history throughout its lifetime, but to keep it short, at one point in the late 1960s, early 1970s there was some discussion about the Soo Line buying the Milwaukee. Of course, this never happened... but I guess you /could/ say that during this period, some locomotives went over to Soo rails for trials or backup or whatever.

For my part, when I run the Milwaukee locomotive on my layout, I'm not going to explain it anymore than: it's my layout, it's my locomotive, once in a while I can run whatever I want! Maybe even an M62! :D
Marquette

Postby Arseny » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:10 pm

Maybe even an M62

There were some TEM7 in Houston (they were not certificated, but who cares?), there was a TE109 on Alaska, why not M62 too?.. :)

Ok, I even have an idea for the legend: General Electric modernized some Mongolian M62 (it is a real fact!). So, maybe they took one unit to USA for testing and did not return it to Mongolia?.. :)
Arseny

Postby railtunes » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:21 am

I know this topic is a few years old, but I just wanted to reply to Arseny in St. Petersburg that he can DEFINITELY use Milwaukee Road locomotives on former DSS&A tracks in Northern Michigan. The Milwaukee Road ran a passenger train, The Chippewa, from Chicago to Calumet, Michigan. Once it reached Champion, Michigan, the junction with the DSS&A, it moved from Milwaukee tracks to DSS&A tracks and continued north to the end of the line at Calumet. The Milwaukee Road locomotive - usually an F7A Diesel - stayed on the train all the way.

I grew up in the Upper Peninsula and rode this train on several occasions. There are also some photos of this somewhere on the internet. And I agree that Milwaukee has one of the most attractive paint schemes of any American railroad.

I'd be interested to learn what railroad you have chosen to model and I would be happy to supply any information I can about railroads in Michigan's Upper Peninsula.

- Paul Ingraham
railtunes

Postby scaro » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:36 am

it sounds pretty glib, but the railway you should model is the one you can get decal or transfer lettering for.

seriously,i'd check out what is available, given the range of RTR painted offerings is always going to be limited.

without decals or transfers, and there aren't a lot about in TT (and there is a limit to what can be pinched from other scales) you'll find out pretty quick what railroads you aren't modelling ;-)

railroads with simple schemes or where the stock used a lettering or logo size that can be bought from current HO and N decal ranges seem the most plausible candidates. there are a few RRs who painted their stock in many variations of a scheme with many different sizes of lettering and logo, and sometimes this is replicated in an HO decal set and some of the sizes are right for TT. for example, microscale do a set for rock island boxcars that contains a number of sizes of the 'Rock Island' speed lettering, but these situations are the exception, not the rule.
scaro

Postby Marquette » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:08 am

The beauty is though that custom decals are possible... so you really can model whatever you want!
Marquette

Postby Arseny » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:03 pm

railtunes wrote:I know this topic is a few years old, but I just wanted to reply to Arseny in St. Petersburg that he can DEFINITELY use Milwaukee Road locomotives on former DSS&A tracks in Northern Michigan.
I'd be interested to learn what railroad you have chosen to model and I would be happy to supply any information I can about railroads in Michigan's Upper Peninsula.

- Paul Ingraham

Hello, Paul; thank you for your answer!

I decided to model SOO Line somewhere in Wisconsin or so, in the late 1950s. I purchased one SW1200 from Sazmodel, painted in red-and-white SOO Line livery, old steam locomotive ("Consolidation" made by HP Products), and I hope I'll get ALCO FA painted in maroon "SOO Line" livery soon.

My reasons:

1) My first TT-scale locomotive was 2-8-0 "Consolidation", purchased from Jim O'Brien on Ebay. It was marked as DSS&A.
In token of respect to the previous owner (and to the locomotive) it will remain DSS&A.
2) There are a lot of TT-scale stuff available from German companies, particularly German-style buildings, etc.
So I can use some German-style private buildings on my layout, if I model any region with a high percentage of ethnic Germans, such as Wisconsin, Michigan, Pennsylvania or so. (Am I right? :think: )
Maybe I even can use some German cars (as I know, Wartburgs were exported to USA in late 1950s - early 1960s, for example). I have some BMW/EMW 340 cars, produced in East Germany in 1949-1953, and exported to the West - maybe some German immigrant could purchase it?..
3) The same thing with the trees, bushes, etc. (I do not mean George Bush! :lol: ). It seems to me that Midwestern nature is quite similar to North European or Russian. Pine-trees, spruces, birches are available (from Noch, or Busch, etc), but I did not see palm trees, giant sequoias, or cactuses in TT, if I want model Washington, or Nevada or Florida. :smile:
(And even if I use H0- or N-scale trees - it doesn't matter, I will not find scale cactuses in Russian shops :smile: )
4) I love maroon livery of SOO Line and Wisconsin Central
5) I love the techic (cars, trucks, etc) and buildings of the 1950s.
6) The cars of the 1950s were not too long, so I can place relatively long train on small layout.
7) There are some cars and locomotives available in TT that are suitable for 1950s, but very few modern stuff or any stuff suitable for XIX century...

So I decided to model SOO Line somewhere in Wisconsin or near it.
I never visited USA or Canada, so I am afraid that some details on my layout will be a little bit caricatural... :)
I am afraid it will be some mix of my impressions of books of Stephen King :smile: O.Henry, Theodore Dreiser (I love The Financier and The Titan novels), some articles of Soviet journalists who visited America in 1930s or 1970s, and blogs of some Russian fellows who live in USA today. :smile:
So please tell me if you notice some mistakes in my future work!

I decided to build TT-scale version of "Virginian" project, published in Model Railroader in Jan 2012 :
starting-my-layout-t2014.html
january-2012-model-railroader-project-layout-t1361.html
I know that there are no coal mines in Wisconsin, so I'll build gravel pit instead of coal mine, using Auhagen's "gravel pit" building, it seems quite international for me.
There are no big mountains in Wisconsin, but there are some hills, it will be enough:
i-ve-moved-to-the-new-flat-t1869-10.html#p21838

Am I right? ;)
Arseny

Postby ctxmf74 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:11 pm

"giant sequoias"

There might be some somewhere in Nevada but most are in California. For Wisconsin scenery I'd do some browsing of towns using google earth and street view to get good ideas for the terrain and the foliage.
It's funny how we TT scale guys have to pick what we model based on what models we can get. Even though I'm a Southern Pacific guy I had a brass Pennsy caboose so decided to get a Saz model Pennsy switcher and model a Delmarva branchline that I saw in a Lance Mindheim book so i'll be searching the web to see how it should look too ....DaveB
ctxmf74

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion