Which airbrush?

Which airbrush?

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:44 pm

What airbrush do you use? Why? Pluses, minuses? I have an air compressor so no need for comments on one.
My website: http://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Re: Which airbrush?

Postby AstroGoat760 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:54 pm

I use a Badger airbrush, model 150.

I bought it at the 2009 National Train Show in Hartford, CT.

Why did I buy it? The seller had a sample project for people to paint, and the airbrush set with a box of paints was a really good package deal, so I bought it.

Pluses? It works really well once the air supply is properly setup. Cleanup is really easy on it, and so far it has proven to be a durable and long lived airbrush.

Minuses? There is a bit of a learning curve to using a double action brush versus a single action brush, but it is not a big problem at all. (In fact I had to search for a negative for the brush at all).

I use a rather large air compressor for mine, and it works just fine, I just make sure to use a large moisture trap with it.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby Bernd » Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:39 pm

I have two airbrushes. One a Badger and the other a Paasche. The Badger is single action. The Paasche is double action. With single action you set the amount of spray by adjusting the nozzle and then controlling the amount of air while painting. Less air, less paint. With the double action you control both the amount of paint and the amount of air while painting. The double action is more versatile being able to control two things at once. A bit more difficult to learn.

Now I haven't painted and a number of years so I can't say which brush is better. When I was painting I used Floquil exclusively and some Scalecoat. Nether is made any more. When I get back to painting again I'll be looking at the Iwata to begin with. There may be more brushes on the market, so a bit of research is in order. A quick note about my air compressor. I'm using a dentist's compressor. Runs very quite.

I'd say go out an see what the professionals are using to do custom painting and then go from there.

Bernd
Bernd

Postby Tom Dempsey » Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:53 pm

I use two Badger 175's, currently I usually paint with either Tru-Color or Tamiya paints. If I were going to purchase another one I would look at a Grex, I've heard good things about them. By the way, Badger will rebuild their airbrushes for free for ever. That can be a nice advantage after the first time you take the brush apart for cleaning and then can't figure out why it doesn't work like it use to even though you didn't have any parts left over.
Tom Dempsey

Postby railtwister » Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:33 pm

I use an old Binks Wren single action airbrush almost exclusively, plus I have a small Paasche (I think it's a model F), but it is so small, it's really only good for weathering. The Binks is almost 50 years old now, and the Paasche F is about 40. Somewhere, I have a brand new Paasche double action airbrush that I bought over 20 years ago and never used, because every time the opportunity arose, I just went ahead and used the Binks because I was familiar with it. Maybe someday...

Bill in FtL
railtwister

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:17 pm

Can you guys talk a bit about how (and with what) you clean them? I had a Paasche dual action some years ago and HATED cleaning it.
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Bernd » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:39 am

ConducTTor wrote:Can you guys talk a bit about how (and with what) you clean them? I had a Paasche dual action some years ago and HATED cleaning it.

When I was using the Floquil paint I used to run their solvent through it. Same for the Scale Coat. I'd use what ever the paint is thinned with. I have read where guys use Windex for the acrylic paints. If it's dried on paint I'd try a lacquer thinner.

No matter what paint you use there is always the cleaning aspect of a spray paint brush.

Bernd
Bernd

Postby areibel » Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:09 pm

I have a friend that's a great painter (he used to paint presentation models for GE in Erie) and when he was done he would fill the small cup with windshield washer solvent and run it through, then repeat as needed. That was using Scalecoat paint (water based) and he had pretty good luck. I think it was a Badger single action (I'll have to check), and he only took it all the way down and cleaned it if he noticed a problem. But as soon as the paint was done it was getting flushed out, it didn't sit while he messed with the model.
areibel

Postby milwrd1 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:57 pm

Badger single action model 200. Easy to use and easy to learn. Easy to CLEAN. Use a compressor, not canned air. My experience with customer support at Badger has been excellent....especially in the beginning when you're learning how to disassemble and clean.

I tried a double action brush once.....probably need more experience with it to make a concrete decision. More parts and more difficulty in disassembly and cleaning. I believe, unless you are trying some special weathering application or trying to paint a very thin line (stripes on a diesel engine, for example), there is no need for the double action air brush for model railroading applications. They also cost considerably more.

Ease of cleaning I believe is one the most important attributes. For consistent performance, be prepared to disassemble and re-assemble many times. A word on cleaning.....be extra careful with acrylic paints. They dry very fast, and it's very easy to clog up the airbrush. I always have a bottle of acrylic thinner or water ready to fit to the airbrush when the paint spraying is done. Remove the paint jar and attach the thinner jar and run the thinner through the airbrush. Then clean up a usual.
milwrd1

Postby ConducTTor » Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:38 pm

Ok so next question, acrylics vs enamel?
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Next

Return to General Discussion