Which airbrush?

Re: Which airbrush?

Postby ConducTTor » Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:50 pm

Never mind. I'm going to go with acrylics due to the easier cleanup (water) and fast dry. I've read that they can be fragile but I assume a few coats of clear will fix that?
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby railtwister » Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:50 pm

The single action airbrushes are pretty easily cleaned using the proper solvent for the brand of paint you are using, plus I also use lacquer thinner and acetone as well. Believe it or not, I had the biggest problems cleaning water based acrylics out of my airbrush. It seems the paint liked to dry in the tip while spraying, though it seemed to take forever to dry on the model, and was quite prone to flooding and running on the surface details. I really dislike using water based paint on models because of this. Also use a lot of paper towels, Kleenex, and q-tips in the process.

Bill in FtL
railtwister

Postby ConducTTor » Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:59 pm

Hmm ok interesting experience. It's making me question my decision.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby sman » Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:25 pm

Go with the best you can afford, double action and gravity fed.
Henryk
sman

Postby areibel » Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:24 am

ConducTTor wrote:Hmm ok interesting experience. It's making me question my decision.

One other thing to consider (and to make your life more difficult)- certain solvent based paints like enamels need a primer over plastic to keep the solvent from affecting the plastic of the shell. I will admit I haven't tried a "modern" one since Floquil went out of production though, so it might not be the issue it was.
areibel

Postby Tom Dempsey » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:46 pm

Really Alex, the best way to go is to pick a paint and a brush, learn them, and use them. The reason there are so many ways to skin a cat is all the different skinning knives available, ultimately, the cat still ends up skinned. I've seen phenomenal models painted with acrylics, lacquers, even craft paints and every different sort of application media and in the case of air brushes anywhere from 8 psig to over 50. It all has to do with lots of experience, which you only get one way.
Tom Dempsey

Postby ConducTTor » Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:15 pm

Tom Dempsey wrote:It all has to do with lots of experience, which you only get one way.

Yeah that's the part I'm trying to short circuit :lol: I don't want to ruin any of my models :pray:
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Tom Dempsey » Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:49 pm

I prowled train shows and hobby shops and picked up lots of out of date models. You can get "$1.00" cars and practice on them, scale is immaterial to this exercise. Buy them, strip them, paint them, and repeat until the car surface is completely crazed beyond hope. Throw it away, pull next victim from box under paint tent, and repeat.
Tom Dempsey

Postby ConducTTor » Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:52 pm

Oh yeah great ( and so obvious) idea!
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby milwrd1 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:52 pm

Tom Dempsey wrote:Really Alex, the best way to go is to pick a paint and a brush, learn them, and use them. The reason there are so many ways to skin a cat is all the different skinning knives available, ultimately, the cat still ends up skinned. I've seen phenomenal models painted with acrylics, lacquers, even craft paints and every different sort of application media and in the case of air brushes anywhere from 8 psig to over 50. It all has to do with lots of experience, which you only get one way.

I agree. Experience with the air brush is the best teacher. You'll even find that the actual time spent airbrushing is very short, more time is spent in preparation and cleaning.
milwrd1

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion