17%
South
14%
West
31%
Canada
28%

Total votes : 29

Re: Where in the US (and Canada?) are you?

Postby CSD » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:55 pm

I would have to reenforce what ConducTTor wrote. Flex track and turnout variety are good reasons to work with the newer track. It is also a lot more reliable and more in line with what is available in more common scales, so any building tips that apply to HO or N track can be used. I think you may be mistaken about your motors. All of the old BTTB stuff was 12VDC. You will kill them if you put them on AC. BTTB quality was middling to poor at best (especially during the later years), so putting aside for a new loco is your best bet. Sometimes the motor and gear tower replacements cost nearly as much as a new loco. In my opinion it is better to have 1 well running engine than 10 bastards. Please don't take this as being to negative. I have a good collection of old BTTB and Zeuke locomotives that I treasure, but they do not operate nearly as well as my new ones.
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby TTbahner » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:30 pm

CSD wrote: All of the old BTTB stuff was 12VDC. You will kill them if you put them on AC.

Sorry, lack of knowledge.
Thanks everybody, sounds convincingly. The next step will be starting layout planing. Theme of layout will be german, season - summer or fall , era and place - i don't know. :?: About the size - I still don't have enough space to go ahead, that's why all plans are in my mind only.
About track plan - Tillig TT Gleispläne (Trackplan map H0-TT-N). Does anybody have any experience with it? How to choose right track plan and not to overload it with rails? Did you guys use ready plans or design your own?
TTbahner

Postby ConducTTor » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:18 pm

Well, first you need to decide which rails you're using (BTTB / Tillig / other). This will define the rail geometry you're working with.

Next, even though you may not have room for your layout now, do you have an idea of what you will eventually have to work with?

Also, have you thought about something smaller for now? A shelf type layout for example takes minimum room (point to point - no continuous running) and you can later incorporate it in your bigger layout.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the ruling class know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby BTTB Fan » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:44 am

To add my $0.02 on ConducTTor's and CSD's answers (which I completely agree with):
1) When planning a new layout, I sold most of my old U-profile track and went with Tillig. As mentioned, flex track is the big thing, as well as availability of pieces you may be missing. For temporary layout, the U-profile looks and works OK, and I actually much prefer the electric switch mechanisms of the old BTTB.
2) I am keeping quire a few of my old BTTB locos, and even more rolling stock. Modern models are indeed much superior, but the price differential is often significant. Motor replacement does require some work, but if using kits from Harry Barth it's a beginner-level exercise. Here are Harry's current eBay listings: http://shop.ebay.com/tt-fan455/. You may want to contact him through e-mail (har.barth at hotmail.de) to see which other kits he has available and arrange for direct PayPal purchase. Use Google (or Babelfish) translator and send messages in German. The kits that I know of were for BR118/V200/Nohab family of diesels, as well as for BR254. If you do decide to check them out, make sure you ask for 18% VAT to be subtracted from the price, since you are not in the EU.
Alexei
BTTB Fan

Postby TTbahner » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:40 pm

BTTB Fan wrote:eBay listings: http://shop.ebay.com/tt-fan455/.

This link is dead
TTbahner

Postby CSD » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:51 pm

TTbahner wrote:Sorry, lack of knowledge...

No prob, Bob. Just thought I'd save you learning the hard way... Like I did with my HO stuff.

There are also full mechanisms made by Hollywood Foundry if you want to replace the entire guts of or scratch build something.
http://www.hollywoodfoundry.com/shopdis ... Mechanisms
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby BTTB Fan » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:04 pm

TTbahner wrote:
BTTB Fan wrote:eBay listings: http://shop.ebay.com/tt-fan455/.

This link is dead

It was a test, you passed! :lol: Sorry for removing a bunch of stuff fromthe end of the URL. Here is his eBay Profile: http://myworld.ebay.com/tt-fan455&ssPag ... X:SELLERID
and eBay store: http://stores.ebay.com/TT-MODELLBAHN-UMBAUSPEZIALIST
But e-mail is still the best way to see what he's got.
Alexei
BTTB Fan

Postby CaTTwoman281 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:23 am

At the risk of sounding redundant, but has there been any more women join and become active, or am I a CaTT of a rare breed?
Real Women Not Only Drive Diesel Trucks, They Drive Diesel Tractors!
CaTTwoman281

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:49 am

CaTTwoman281 wrote:At the risk of sounding redundant, but has there been any more women join and become active, or am I a CaTT of a rare breed?

jpachl - but she rarely shows up anymore. Which is a bit strange cause she's all about American proto...
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the ruling class know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Zs12 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:01 am

Joern or Jörn is a male name, so jpachl is no woman. :wink:
Zs12

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion