17%
South
14%
West
31%
Canada
28%

Total votes : 29

Re: Where in the US (and Canada?) are you?

Postby gabbysuz » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:55 pm

dileTTante wrote:TTQuebec, there's a train show in Burnaby 14 March. One of the regular vendors is from Kamloops and says he has TT collection, though I've never seen any models from him. Perhaps you'd like to meet over a Community Centre cup of coffee?

Got room for 1 more ? I might be up to Vancouver in March and was thinking of going to the show in Burnaby, have attended couple of times before, in the 90's.
Maybe we could start an annual TT meet, as I try and visit Vancouver twice a year since family vacations in '94. (I must confess I'm a Van. Canucks fan ever since '94 :clap: )

I would also like to thank ConduTTor for this site :thumbup: , I think it is very important for TT to have a forum like this, I've enjoyed reading all the back posts and learning many things I was
not aware of.
gabbysuz

Postby CSD » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:34 pm

gabbysuz wrote:Got room for 1 more ?

How about 2?

I think I missed you gabbysuz. Welcome to the site.
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby ConducTTor » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:36 pm

And I in turn would like to thank those who gave me a virtual Haggis smacking when I was thinking of killing the site several months ago. :wave:
My website: https://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby ConducTTor » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:39 pm

CSD wrote:
gabbysuz wrote:Got room for 1 more ?

How about 2?

I think I missed you gabbysuz. Welcome to the site.

I am officially branding this event "The first North American TT meet". I expect pictures. And running trains in those pictures. Even if it's some temp track set on a restaurant table. Seriously.
My website: https://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Marquette » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:07 pm

Guys,

Definitely!! I think that's a brilliant idea that would be quite a bit of fun. I'll have to ask but we may be able to snag some space in a room to temporarily set up some track. Can't say for certain though as the March show is a lower-key event than the November one, so not certain how much space we'll have for the show besides the main gym area downstairs. But: we *will* work something out for it!

It also means I'm going to have to get my Haggis in gear and actually finish some of these things I started, so I don't turn up emptyhanded! :P
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Postby dileTTante » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:11 pm

Uh-oh. Not sure what I'm getting into. From armchair to trainshow in one leap. I called the organizer of the train show. It's a swap meet not an educational event like the NMRA show but we would be welcomed. Never before have they had TT. Table is $30 and table is all that's needed --after all, it's TableTop. I have a 'starter set' of BR86 locomotive and 3-axle passenger wagons, and oval of track approximately 2ft x 3ft. Can bring power pack and some goods wagons, too. I can chat all day. I have sat through camera shows trying to flog my old gear. And I can do photos.

I have room in a messy small apartment if someone needs a place to stay. From downtown to the show it's a pleasant ride on the elevated train. Admission to show is $3 (CDN) adult, $2 senior, but maybe the table fee would cover that.
dileTTante

Postby Marquette » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:35 pm

The March event has always been more heavily towards railway paper and model trade/sales, and a lot lighter on layouts etc.

The November show is lighter on paper and heavier on models as far as the sales tables go, but also it is a LOT heavier in presenting layouts and modules, including a kids' room with Thomas and Lego stuff, the RPM room, and various clinics, over two days, and after-hours events like group visits to home layouts and op sessions at home layouts. Usually a fun weekend!

March is a much lower-key thing, not geared so much towards the families/general public thing (I believe it is also a little less advertised outside of hobby shops).

If we're getting a table, I can toss into that too; I do believe the table gets at least a couple of "exhibitor" entries to the show.

If we *are* getting a table, then I'll *really* have to get some modelling done before then, so as to bring attention to the idea that TTers in North America don't all model European prototypes! (Not that that's at all a bad thing, but growth in NA will hinge on NA protos). Also if Gold Coast would have even a little presence at the table, just to show that there *are* NAm RTR available...
Marquette

Postby dileTTante » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:04 pm

Even though there was a pretty good turnout at the last train show, attendance has been declining, given the state of the economy. I got the impression the organizers will be glad for anyone who shows up. Hate to see you stress out about preparations. Anything in TT will be a novelty. You've seen the train that runs on top of a bicycle wheel and makes it turn? That drew as many people as any other exhibit. For those who haven't seen it -the circle of track is on a bicycle wheel and the whole thing is tilted slightly. The train actually drives the wheel and layout around while the train stays in place at the low point. Coarse photo of it is attached. It's a still made from a video, the camera is old and video crude. Other photo shows TT nuts in the making perhaps.
P1040917.JPG
P1040917.JPG (19.41 KiB) Viewed 273 times
P1040893_1.JPG
dileTTante

Postby CSD » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:03 pm

Sounds like a good excuse to get a TT diorama done. I'm in!
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby Marquette » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:04 pm

That's not a bad idea either, CSD!

Just have to figure out what to do! Maybe something from out west here, which would be a big change from my usual stuffs... :)
Marquette

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion