What US prototype locomotive do you want?

Propulsion type

Steam
47%
Electric
No votes
Diesel
53%

Total votes : 15

Re: What US prototype locomotive do you want?

Postby AstroGoat760 » Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:49 am

I have been in many different cabs, from narrow gauge steam locos to large steam locos to a cab ride on a RS-3. I have pictures, and I will post them in a different thread sometime soon.

James
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby AstroGoat760 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:12 am

Here is one that I want to see in TT scale:

The Ingalls Shipbuilding 4-s. It was their only locomotive that they built. It ran well and supposedly rolled over during a derailment, and when it was put back onto the rails, it did not seem to think it was ever off the rails, only a few dents here and there, and damaged paint was the only repairs needed.

The only reason that more were not built was the difficulty that Ingalls Shipbuilding had in obtaining electrical gear from GE. The single 4-s was the only domestic loco powered by a Superior Diesel.

There was a few photos and a small article about it in one of the early 1961 issues of Trains. There was an article in that issue about what JFK (then recently elected) would do for the railroads.
tr_gmo1900.jpg

tr_gmo1900a.jpg

SuperiorBrochCov1.jpg
AstroGoat760

Postby jmass » Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:20 pm

pretty cool lookin loco,was it based of an f unit?
jmass

Postby AstroGoat760 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:41 pm

The F unit may have had some influence, but the design and construction was pure Ingalls Shipbuilding.
In fact the body of the engine resembles a heavyweight passenger car more than an F-unit. The view fromt the rear looks more like a passenger car than engine.

I have not been able to find a tail end view on the internets so far, but there is one in the issue of Trains where I found out about it.
AstroGoat760

Postby areibel » Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:15 pm

There are several pics and a drawing in the Kalambach book "Model Railraoder Cyclopedia- Vol.2, Diesel Locomotives" by Bob Hayden. It would be cool, I liked the HO model (except for the price!). It actually doesn't look too complicated to build, the truck sideframes are available, the body doesn't look like there are louvers, side doors or rivets. Looks like the hardest part would be getting the funky shape of the cab right?
areibel

Postby AstroGoat760 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:29 pm

I would agree, somewhat. I think that the tail end would be the hardest thing to pull off, but if you are handy with recreating the vestibule areas of heavyweight passenger cars, you should be good to go for that.

I agree the HO scale model is nice, but the price is too high. A $700 loco is not all that likely to be run, for fear of damage from derailments. The most that I have ever plunked down for a locomotive was $250 for a K-line semi-scale O gauge Southern Railways 2-8-2 with railsounds and the rest of that high tech junk in it. Since the loco was a little over half off, and I liked the looks of it, I bought it.

Sound is great, but when the addition which causes the price to go up by $100-$300, I would be more content to put one of my train sounds records on the record player and get my sound fix that way.
AstroGoat760

Postby Marquette » Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:39 pm

ConducTTor wrote:Off topic but, looking at huge steam locos I've always wondered what the engineer actually saw out the windows? Has anyone had the chance to go inside the cab of one of those and look out the front windows?

Yes. And out of a Royal Hudson, you sure don't see much!

My choice for what I'd want? Baldwin S-2 and RDC would be my top choices. FM C-Liner would be nice, too!
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Postby Zs12 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:52 am

TTQuebec wrote:My choice for what I'd want? Baldwin S-2 and RDC would be my top choices.

That's mine as well, but a Baldwin S-8 instead of a S-2. A Budd RDC-1 or a later version up to 3 would be very nice!
Zs12

Postby Bill Dixon » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:17 am

Either steam or diesel choices must be generic enough to suit many modelers.

If it is a diesel then: F7, GP7/9, S4 Switcher, RS3. For more modern a SD40 or SD40-2. Current locomotive models might be too modern for sales.

If a steam engine a good choice would be a generic 2-8-0 like the one done by Bachmann in HO and N.
Add a Mikado for freight and a Pacific for passenger service. Then you need a switcher, an 0-6-0 or 0-8-0.
Once you can handle the miniaturization needed for the 0-6-0 you can produce a Mogul (2-6-0) and a Ten Wheeler (4-6-0).

Much beyond that would be really dreaming!

Bill Dixon
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby AstroGoat760 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:35 am

Bill Dixon wrote:Either steam or diesel choices must be generic enough to suit many modelers.

If it is a diesel then: F7, GP7/9, S4 Switcher, RS3. For more modern a SD40 or SD40-2. Current locomotive models might be too modern for sales.

If a steam engine a good choice would be a generic 2-8-0 like the one done by Bachmann in HO and N.
Add a Mikado for freight and a Pacific for passenger service. Then you need a switcher, an 0-6-0 or 0-8-0.
Once you can handle the miniaturization needed for the 0-6-0 you can produce a Mogul (2-6-0) and a Ten Wheeler (4-6-0).

Much beyond that would be really dreaming!

Bill Dixon

A good number of those engines listed have either been produced, or have been produced in a quantity that makes them relatively still available.

I myself have a trio of GP-9s, one of which is currently undergoing a power upgrade, an F3, which will soon get that upgrade, a pair of 2-8-0's, an 0-8-0, a Mikado, a Pacific, and a half dozen 0-6-0s, a few of which will become Mogul(s) (2-6-0) and a Prairie (2-6-2).

Right now I am trying to get specs and plans for the General Electric P42 "Genesis" for modern diesel passenger power. I sent an e-mail to GE asking for permission to make a model of their engine, and if they have plans that I could have for a reasonable price.
That should be an easy diesel to start out scratchbuilding, and to also copy using resin at a later time.
AstroGoat760

Previous

Return to Prototypes / Models