What to use for weight?

What to use for weight?

Postby ConducTTor » Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:12 pm

Hey guys, I need to add weight to a few models. What can I use to make weight "molded" to an area? Like some metal particles mixed with some type of bonding agent. Thanks in advance.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Re: What to use for weight?

Postby Tom Dempsey » Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:09 pm

Tungsten BB's mixed with either resin or epoxy. Maximum weight, minimum space.
Tom Dempsey

Postby CN-TT » Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:21 pm

modelling-products-t2185.html#p27487

ttnut.com has some good links :lol: :thumbup: :shh:
You gotta do much more than believe if you really wanna change things!

"The GuiTTar Case" Gallery
"The GuiTTar Case" YouTube
CN-TT

Postby AstroGoat760 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:20 pm

I have found that sheets of moldable weight material, such as lead is pretty effective at adding weight myself.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby ConducTTor » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:00 pm

Thanks guys :)
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby gerhard_k » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:26 am

ConducTTor wrote:I need to add weight to a few models. What can I use to make weight "molded" to an area? Like some metal particles mixed with some type of bonding agent.

This brings up the question of how to best add weight to already-finished models.
For open cars like flats or gondolas, you can usually find areas to add sheet lead to the underside, although that has its limits and you may have trouble adding as much weight as you need. In gondolas or hoppers, maybe pull up the floorboards, if present, add a sheet weight and a new floor or slope sheets on top.
But for closed cars like boxcars, reefers, tank cars, it's hard to get inside without damaging the car. Has anyone had success with, say, drilling a hole in the floor, pouring in lead BB's and some kind of liquid glue, and getting the whole thing to work out evenly?
Any better ideas?
By the way, when you're trying to pack in weight, lead is half again the density of steel, so requires just 2/3 the volume for the same weight.
Sometimes you win... sometimes you learn.
gerhard_k

Postby milwrd1 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:28 am

A-Line at one time sold small lead sheets in 1/32, 1/16 and 3/32 thickness, the sheet was about 2 x 3. Don't know if this is still available, it may have been pulled from the market due to environmental concerns. The 1/32 size is easily bendable, it may work in your application.

A good question.....I've struggled with adding weight to finished cars. In fact several years ago I made a point of looking into the weight issue as the car was being constructed, it is so much easier to address this issue when the car kit is in pieces.

On a finished car, at one time I removed a reefer hatch and drilled a hole thru the roof and added weight that way. Re glued the reefer hatch and added some weathering to blend the hatch cover with the roof. Was only a short term "fix". Some years later the glue worked loose and now the car rattles a little bit. Really not a problem, still experience tells me it's best to address the weight issue when the car is under construction. Ready to run stuff can be difficult, since sometimes it's hard to figure out how the piece was put together :!:
milwrd1

Postby ConducTTor » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:41 am

Gondolas and flat cars are obvious - add a realistic looking load that's heavy. I think for anything else it depends on the model itself. Perhaps closed cars like boxcars/reefers/tanks can be filled with some sort of heavy putty via a hole in the bottom that would be closed after being used. No need for it to ever cure or harden - it would just sit there.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Seppel307 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:00 pm

gerhard_k wrote:
ConducTTor wrote:I need to add weight to a few models. What can I use to make weight "molded" to an area? Like some metal particles mixed with some type of bonding agent.

This brings up the question of how to best add weight to already-finished models.
For open cars like flats or gondolas, you can usually find areas to add sheet lead to the underside, although that has its limits and you may have trouble adding as much weight as you need. In gondolas or hoppers, maybe pull up the floorboards, if present, add a sheet weight and a new floor or slope sheets on top.
But for closed cars like boxcars, reefers, tank cars, it's hard to get inside without damaging the car. Has anyone had success with, say, drilling a hole in the floor, pouring in lead BB's and some kind of liquid glue, and getting the whole thing to work out evenly? samsung note 3 handyhülle
Any better ideas?
By the way, when you're trying to pack in weight, lead is half again the density of steel, so requires just 2/3 the volume for the same weight.

It is really a good idea to solve this problem
Ein räudiges Schaf steckt die ganze Herde an. handyhülle iphone 6
Seppel307

Return to General Discussion