What to do in 2'5,1'5 ft?

What to do in 2'5,1'5 ft?

Postby Robert22 » Mon May 09, 2011 2:23 am

Alrighty, it's down to planning now. As I finally have some space. What do you all think I can do in 2'5 by 1'5 feet? (give or take 2 inches) I've been looking on the internet, and I either see things very small, or too big. Can I fit something in that space? It does not have to loop. My subject matter is passenger (not realistic distances). Thanks for your time!
Robert22

Re: What to do in 2'5,1'5 ft?

Postby railtwister » Mon May 09, 2011 8:26 am

Hi Robert,

That size is too small for a loop, especially one big enough for passenger cars, which are usually longer, requiring wider curves, even if you were talking N scale. Perhaps a switching layout, but again, due to the extra length required by passenger cars, you will be quite limited for any actual operation with turnouts. If you can find more space that can be used temporarily, perhaps you could build a few modules that could be set up to make a layout, and when not set up, could be stored in that space. Lack of space is an age old problem for model railroading!

Bill
railtwister

Postby JBr » Mon May 09, 2011 8:33 am

Do I calculate correctly that the size is approx. 78 by 43 cm? It's almost impossible squeeze an oval on such small area (well, it is possible, but only few locos and cars will be able to run on it and it needs lot of work to ensure even that-- see this for an example: http://tt-kolejiste.unas.cz/mmalekolej.html), but the space is enough to make a nice shunting puzzle a or diorama (see late Carl Arendt's website for tons of examples).

Two years ago, I planned a working diorama of an engine shed with traverser and refueling station to fit on one of the shelves in my book-case. It was +- the same size as you have, but it was intended more for static display of models and only occasional running: http://vlacky.brozek.org/temp/depo_knihovna_2.jpg

I'd suggest thinking about the prototype you'd like to model -- country/railway company, time era etc. -- and then building up on that. There are some plans in TT that I could recommend but they'd require at least 2'5 by 2'5 square space and would only be suitable for central/eastern European setting. For example this one by Milan Ferdian: http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/8974/kopiekm005.jpg
XpressnetLib - .NET class library for DCC model railroad control
JBr

Postby ConducTTor » Mon May 09, 2011 9:39 am

Robert, exactly what kind of passenger cars do you plan on using? If it's older stuff with short cars you could probably do a small loop with 1 siding as in the first example from above.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby CSD » Mon May 09, 2011 10:33 am

I like JBr's second example. I have thought about doing something similar and setting it with the theme of being a museum to display and run my "out of scope rolling stock". If you added a couple of tracks going strait across the back, this would suggest a storage yard and give a place to display ones wagons.
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby Arseny » Mon May 09, 2011 12:00 pm

Robert22, to start from - what country do you want to model?
If you prefer European or old Russian theme - you can use old European 2-axle stuff, they are small enough, and they can run even at the top of the bisquit box!

(it is H0!)

Also, look here:

http://carendt.com/
http://carendt.com/microplans/index.html
http://carendt.morphoist.com/scrapbook/linkindex/index.html

- there are a lot of small-size layouts on that site...
Arseny

Postby Robert22 » Mon May 09, 2011 12:29 pm

I'm enjoying Era IV loco's from what I've seen in pictures (With the exception of a few) so my passenger cars would reflect that era. The modular idea is great. I have another table that could possibly be used, and that would be around 5' by 3', which I imagine would be enough to complete a loop? And if not always available, I could use the other as the modular building area and then connect the two halves on another table. The bisquit tin train is awesome! :D
Robert22

Postby ConducTTor » Mon May 09, 2011 1:39 pm

Era IV German trains? If so, you have flexibility on length (east German suburban trains had shorter cars) and a pretty large choice of locos and cars. If you can do the modular type layout with several pieces that can be stored away and pulled out to make one big layout I think that's the way you should go.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby railtwister » Mon May 09, 2011 6:13 pm

ConducTTor wrote:Era IV German trains? If so, you have flexibility on length (east German suburban trains had shorter cars) and a pretty large choice of locos and cars. If you can do the modular type layout with several pieces that can be stored away and pulled out to make one big layout I think that's the way you should go.

And, I might add that the T-Track-TT table top modules using Tillig's Bedding track are just the ticket for a small modular home layout that can't be left up indefinitely (shameless plug!). The 90 degree corners can be as small as 17-5/16" square, or you can combine them into 180 degree ends and still stay within 18"x36" limits. The straight sections being roughly 19-5/8" long by 11-13/16" wide can be stored on a shelf or hung like a picture on the wall (TT gauge art!). See the TT-Trak thread in this group's Layouts section. Or visit Bill Dixon at Central Hobbies for a real time 3D look!

Bill in FL
railtwister

Postby dileTTante » Mon May 09, 2011 6:30 pm

I used to check the micro layout site every month and archive the scrapbook page. Just followed the link given by Arseny and was saddened to learn that Carl Arendt died recently. I enjoyed the variety of ideas from everywhere -one diarama pictured was exhibited at local train show- but most everything had no usefulness for passenger trains. Somewhere among the layouts in the scrapbooks I think there is one showing a passenger train terminal. There was no way to run an entire train but a car can be moved into the terminal -or something like that. It will take a major search to locate the layout.

One suggestion is to show a service facility for a passenger car, such as washing or loading supplies into a diner. Have it be a portion of yard track which could be incorporated into a bigger layout later. It's not a great suggestion because I think the train of cars is usually kept together during servicing. In Chicago the train yards have a shed for Amtrak engine repair and I think I remember another one for commuter train locomotives. Each case there is a garage with locomotives parked together at front.

Another possibility is what I have seen on Amtrak journey. In Milwauke station some private coaches are parked alongside the main line in the shelter of the station roof over the tracks. In Minneapolis-St Paul there are often private cars stored on a siding near the station. In Havre, Montana I have seen a single private car parked temporarily on a stub track near the station and connected up to power. Also, every time the train stops for service in Havre I photograph the big Northern locomotive on display right beside the station. Any of these static displays might do for a small area.

The examples are N. American but there are photos of European locomotives on display or waiting for railfan excursions.

-Terry
Attachments
DSC01353R.JPG
Milwaukee station
DSC00251R.JPG
Minneapolis-St Paul station
DSC00682R.JPG
Havre Montana station
DSC00223R.JPG
Havre Montana station
dileTTante

Next