What Size Knuckle Coupler To Use For TT?

Re: What Size Knuckle Coupler To Use For TT?

Postby MacG » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:11 pm

WillYart wrote:Would you kindly refer me to your gallery? I have already diligently looked through your posting history but came up empty!

Click on my avatar or this link for pictures of Kadee vs. Micro-Trains. Sorry, there is no picture with Kadee coupled with Micro Trains. But it works.
Lok-n-Roll.de - we send worldwide :wink:
MacG

Postby railtwister » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:31 am

ConducTTor wrote:
railtwister wrote:It would be great if Gold Coast could address this issue on future production runs, and either make the hole smaller, or just a dimple, so the modeler could drill the correct size needed.

Bill in FtL

Perhaps shoot Felix an email about this?

Hi Alex,

I thought about that, but then I figured he must be aware of it, since some of the photos on the Gold Coast website show cars with MTL/Kadees installed, supposedly sitting on his layout. I also figured he'd probably see these posts, too.

Bill in FtL
railtwister

Postby railtwister » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:20 am

areibel wrote:Maybe a piece of styrene rod and some Tenax to fill the hole, then redrill?

Hi Al,

Unfortunately, I believe I read that the Gold Coast cars are molded from ABS, and my experience with bonding ABS to Styrene in the past has been less than successful, since the two plastics will not blend when melted by the gluing solvent. Finding the right size ABS rod to use seems like a bigger quest than it would be worth (BTW: Plastruct rods are Buytrate, not ABS). CA glue might work, but it is very hard compared to the plastic, and it would be difficult for the screw to cut threads into. The simplest solution, which is reaming the draft gear box hole with the proper size numbered clearance drill to fit a Kadee "#0" screw, seems to have worked on the four cars I have, but I don't like the idea of having to do that for every car I get from Gold Coast. It does leave the wall surrounding the mounting hole pretty thin, although once the screw is installed, it should provide adequate support.

It's a very small point, and probably not worth complaining about, since the fix seems pretty simple, but the real issue is that the concept of ready to run cars in any scale is aimed at appealing to those modelers who don't want to build the model from scratch or a kit. Why then, would those same modelers want to have to fill an oversize hole and then redrill it to the correct size in order to install couplers on their otherwise ready to run cars? The hole should be the right size in the first place.

Also, before anyone misinterprets my criticism, let me say that I think that both of the Gold Coast boxcars released to date are fine models, and I'm glad to have them, and look forward to more releases.

Bill in FtL
Last edited by railtwister on Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
railtwister

Postby CSD » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:51 am

Just a point of interest. Like it or not Kadee 714's are the standard coupler for TT.
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby Arseny » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:15 am

CSD wrote:Like it or not Kadee 714's are the standard coupler for TT.

...in America. :wink:
Arseny

Postby railtwister » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:25 pm

CSD wrote:Just a point of interest. Like it or not Kadee 714's are the standard coupler for TT.

Where is that written?

As far as I have been able to determine, there is no such thing as a "standard" coupler for TT, other than perhaps on an individual's layout. Not that it matters, but people responding to this thread (and others on this group) have stated that they use Kadee 714's and/or MTL 1015/1025 in about even numbers, and some stated that presently they use KD, but in the future will use MTL, since they will link together. At least one person said they use the Bachmann N scale EZ-Mate coupler. The MTL couplers are the closest to TT scale, while the 714's and the Bachmann are somewhat bigger. Since they will all couple up to each other, is it really that important one should be called a "standard"?

Much of the TT equipment I see still has the old HP hook & loop mounted on it. For many years that was the "standard". For sheer numbers, I would bet the BTTB couplers is closer to being a standard, whether they work or not is something else.

Bill in FtL
railtwister

Postby j p » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:26 pm

CSD wrote:Just a point of interest. Like it or not Kadee 714's are the standard coupler for TT.

One of many of standard couplers.
Even Kadee does not sell them as TT couplers. They are "Also adaptable to TT Scale".
Their smaller version is adaptable to TT scale too - and prototypically more correct.
HP Products couplers are also standard couplers for TT...

I have asked people from model clubs who use Kadee/Microtrains for European models and they use only the smaller ones Kadee/MicroTrains 1025. 714 needed stronger uncouplers and those were not compatible with Zeuke/BTTB/Tillig models with parts made of steel. Stronger uncouplers were derailing the cars.

It is up to your choice. I use both, but preferably Kadee/MicroTrains 1025 for boxcars and 1015 for tankcars. I haven't seen any equivalent for 1015 in H0n3 version.
1015 can be used also as a front coupler for HP steam engines. Not enough space there for 714.

Anyway, I would not call any of them as "the standard couplers for TT scale". They can be standard for your layout, of course.
j p

Postby CSD » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:40 pm

As in all things do what you like, however; the folks who are making RTR items for North American TT have built their items to accomodate the kadee 714's. Gold Coast, MTB. Before when I said "standard for TT", I was, of course, only refering to NA items as this topic is about knuckle couplers.
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby ConducTTor » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:41 pm

CSD wrote:the folks who are making RTR items for North American TT have built their items to accomodate the kadee 714's. Gold Coast, MTB.

I would have to agree that that would make them the standard. My $0.02.
My website: https://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby j p » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:43 am

ConducTTor wrote:
CSD wrote:the folks who are making RTR items for North American TT have built their items to accomodate the kadee 714's. Gold Coast, MTB.

I would have to agree that that would make them the standard. My $0.02.

GoldCoast boxcars accomodate both 714 and 1025 couplers.
Either there is not any general standard coupler for TT scale or there are many standards.
j p

PreviousNext

Return to Prototypes / Models