What Size Knuckle Coupler To Use For TT?

Re: What Size Knuckle Coupler To Use For TT?

Postby ConducTTor » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:58 pm

Ok I found it - don't know for a fact if they couple with Kadee but here they are http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/pr ... ing_1_Pair
My website: https://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby WillYart » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:44 pm

Oh thanks, that's good to have. I'm thinking of using electromagnetic decouplers, but my Roco cars have plastic couplers. Maybe I should test these with Kadee/MicroTrains.

Should I lightly abandon these sophisticated European coupler designs? Seems like they put a lot of engineering into it (with this NEM-shaft system, etc.) The Kadee style looks the same as it was 20 years ago. I could perhaps outfit the American cars with European couplers...is it worth trying to go that way?

Thanks guys for helping me figure this out. It's no small task for a new person.
WillYart

Postby Arseny » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:45 pm

They are not Roco. They are Dapol.
I have some Dapol couplers, and thay can couple with Kadee or MicroTrains, but there is one problem - if you put them into NEM-shaft of the standard European locomotive, they will be placed too lowly, so they will not couple with the Kadee coupler just because of the different height.
Arseny

Postby Arseny » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:48 pm

WillYart wrote:I could perhaps outfit the American cars with European couplers...is it worth trying to go that way?

As for me, I decided to use BTTB couplers on my European stuff, and Kadee or Microtrain on my American stuff.
I do not plan to use European and American cars or locomotives in one train.

I expected to use Dapol couplers on the European locomotives to use them as power units, but failed.
Arseny

Postby WillYart » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:19 pm

On this thread: tillig-couplers-t578.html

Some folks are liking the new Tillig coupler. Think those will fit in American coupler pockets without too much hassle?

Would it be bothersome to give up on electromagnetic uncouplers, like I could do with Kadee?
WillYart

Postby CaTTwoman281 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:55 am

WillYart wrote:On this thread: tillig-couplers-t578.html

Some folks are liking the new Tillig coupler. Think those will fit in American coupler pockets without too much hassle?

Would it be bothersome to give up on electromagnetic uncouplers, like I could do with Kadee?

I would just stick to knuckles (either Kadees or Microtrains) for American trains, and leave the Tilligs for European stuff. The magnetic uncoupling of the knuckle couplers is a feature that we would rather not do without for our North American proto TT trains.
Real Women Not Only Drive Diesel Trucks, They Drive Diesel Tractors!
CaTTwoman281

Postby Arseny » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:00 am

WillYart wrote:Some folks are liking the new Tillig coupler. Think those will fit in American coupler pockets without too much hassle?

American cars, such as Gold Coast cars, do not have any pockets or shafts. Kadee couplers are mounted on the car simply by screw.
Arseny

Postby railtwister » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:17 am

ConducTTor wrote:Ok I found it - don't know for a fact if they couple with Kadee but here they are http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/pr ... ing_1_Pair

Hi Alex,

Wow! Those things are expensive! At £5.95 for one pair, that would be $18 for two pair of Dapol vs. $7.50 for two pair of MTL's assembled couplers. Unassembled MTL or Kadee's are even less. That's a high premium to pay for the NEM plug-in, especially if the mounted height is wrong!

I have decided to stay with the MTL N Scale couplers for my American TT, since the vertical dimension of the knuckle is pretty much dead-on scale size for a TT coupler. The only problem I have found is that they are made for a 00-90 mounting screw. and the holes provided in the Gold Coast underbodies are a clearance hole rather than a pilot hole for 00-90 screws. This means I have to ream the coupler draft gear out to clear an 0-80 mounting screw, which will self tap into the underbody, but leaves the wall thickness of the coupler pivot pretty thin. At least the screw will provide support, so hopefully it will work out OK. It would be great if Gold Coast could address this issue on future production runs, and either make the hole smaller, or just a dimple, so the modeler could drill the correct size needed.

Bill in FtL
railtwister

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:14 pm

railtwister wrote:It would be great if Gold Coast could address this issue on future production runs, and either make the hole smaller, or just a dimple, so the modeler could drill the correct size needed.

Bill in FtL

Perhaps shoot Felix an email about this?
My website: https://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby areibel » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:51 pm

Maybe a piece of styrene rod and some Tenax to fill the hole, then redrill?
areibel

PreviousNext

Return to Prototypes / Models