What Size Knuckle Coupler To Use For TT?

Re: What Size Knuckle Coupler To Use For TT?

Postby WillYart » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:28 pm

MacG wrote:I have changed to Micro Trains, because of the smaller size and there are more couplers to choose. See my gallery for a comparison Kadee vs. Micro Trains.

The coupler decision is on my mind, I have purchased about 10 railcars and am presented with 3 or 4 different coupler styles, all completely incompatible with each other.

Would you kindly refer me to your gallery? I have already diligently looked through your posting history but came up empty!
WillYart

Postby Arseny » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:32 pm

WillYart wrote:I have purchased about 10 railcars and am presented with 3 or 4 different coupler styles, all completely incompatible with each other.

What type of cars do you mean? American or European?

There are some different type of TT-couplers in Europe (old Zeuke, BTTB, Tillig, Roco, Kuehn ... old TriAng)
And I know 3 types of American ones (Kadee, MicroTrains, old HP).
Arseny

Postby WillYart » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:39 pm

Well, at first I thought it was almost impossible to get a U.S. locomotive, so I bought some European cars. But apparently it is feasible. So, I'll plan on American, like the ones I grew up around. B&O (Baltimore and Ohio) is my favorite railroad.

- Bill
WillYart

Postby Arseny » Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:01 am

Most of modern European locomotives and cars use NEM-standard shafts (sockets) for couplers. So you can change them; for example, replace Tillig couplers by Roco or Kuehn ones.
Some old BTTB or Zeuke cars (and locomotives) use old mounting style, by spring pin and "flat tail" on the couplers. You can buy modern Tillig and "BTTB-style" couplers for this type of mounting from Tillig.
Some old cars (for example, old Zeuke passenger coaches or some old Peresvet cars) use non-replaceable couplers.

As I know, in theory, you can couple BTTB with modern Tillig, but in real practice, it does not work good...

But all these couplers are incompatible with Kadee or Micro-Trains, so for American cars I'd recommend Kadee (or MicroTrains)
Arseny

Postby WillYart » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:14 am

Thanks, Arseny. I have a nice set of 3 Roco flatcars with 4-wheel trucks (so I think the would not appear shockingly out of place with an American fleet); can I outfit them with Kadee or MicroMark for operation w/ American cars?
WillYart

Postby ConducTTor » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:49 am

WillYart wrote:Thanks, Arseny. I have a nice set of 3 Roco flatcars with 4-wheel trucks (so I think the would not appear shockingly out of place with an American fleet); can I outfit them with Kadee or MicroMark for operation w/ American cars?

There are American style couplers with NEM (European standard - what Roco uses) mounting but I can't find them right now....someone here will know what I'm talking about. Anyway, that's what you will have to use unless you want to redo the whole coupler mounting which I don't see a point in.
My website: http://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Christtking » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:27 pm

By the way ROCO never developed a coupler for TT scale like former ZEUKE AND BTTB, TILLIG BAHN and the improved TILLIG version from KUEHN. The older models from ROCO were adapted with the newer modified version from BTTB (redesigned by Tillig) and the new crappy version from Tillig. The new couplers that ROCO is using on their newest models were designed and manufactured for years by FLEISCHMANN. Since the 2 companies joined, it is sold under ROCO's name but it is not an original ROCO product, so in reality it is not a ROCO coupler.
Christtking

Postby Arseny » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:38 pm

WillYart wrote:Thanks, Arseny. I have a nice set of 3 Roco flatcars with 4-wheel trucks (so I think the would not appear shockingly out of place with an American fleet); can I outfit them with Kadee or MicroMark for operation w/ American cars?

I doubt.
As I know, Roco cars are equipped with NEM-shaft, as almost any European stuff. So you can replace Roco coupler by Tillig or Kuehn ones.
But if you want to use Kadee or MicroTrains, it is not so easy; in this case you are to remove NEM-shaft and replace all the shaft by Kadee coupler...
Arseny

Postby ConducTTor » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:40 pm

Arseny wrote:But if you want to use Kadee or MicroTrains, it is not so easy; in this case you are to remove NEM-shaft and replace all the shaft by Kadee coupler...

I swear there is a version of an American type coupler with a NEM "plug" for the coupler mount. I just can't remember the details. It was posted on this board though.
My website: http://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Arseny » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:52 pm

ConducTTor wrote:
Arseny wrote:But if you want to use Kadee or MicroTrains, it is not so easy; in this case you are to remove NEM-shaft and replace all the shaft by Kadee coupler...

I swear there is a version of an American type coupler with a NEM "plug" for the coupler mount. I just can't remember the details. It was posted on this board though.

I did not see it. Are you sure that they can be coupled with the Kadee ones?!
If yes, it's great!
Arseny

PreviousNext

Return to Prototypes / Models