What's everybody up to?

What's everybody up to?

Postby ConducTTor » Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:56 pm

Is anyone TTing? Layout? Models? What are you all doing if anything?
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Re: What's everybody up to?

Postby Marquette » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:17 pm

I'm waiting like mad on getting decals in hand!

Hoping to get a few models finished in time for the show this weekend but it's looking like there'll only be one done, unless sometime in the next few days my decals will be in hand...
http://espeett.blogspot.com - The SP in 1:120 - my attempt at a blog
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Postby Marquette » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:27 pm

quick update... made a phonecall, looks like I'll have all but the BL2 decals on Monday (and hopefully those later in the week... got the first bit of paint onto the BLs the other day).

So for the rest of the evening I'll work on getting my bright orange Illinois Central boxcar decalled, and tomorrow, get my Lake Superior & Ishpeming boxcar decalled... then weathering those two, and getting more work done on my covered hopper! If I'm /really/ lucky, I'll have decals on the BL2 by the time the show rolls around, too!
Marquette

Postby ConducTTor » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:38 pm

Right on! I'd love to see some pics if you get a chance.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby scaro » Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:15 pm

making this . . . http://homepage.ntlworld.com/asmay2002/vfa_wagon.htm

it is a boxvan converted for grain traffic by adding roof hatches, a roofwalk, and hatches low on the end. these wagons were unloaded by a mechanism that basically tilted the whole wagon so the grain poured out the hatches at the end.

fortunately evergreen do a sheet of scribed styrene- 3025, that's almost exactly right for the side planks. if anyone is making a wooden wagon it might be of use to know this; they do a number of things of use for TT.

further, if you use a hobby knife to scribe that same sheet along the scribed grooves, but cutting a bit deeper and widening the grooves a little, then you have the louvre panels.

i've more or less got both sides done.

i do the bolts/rivets for the side bracing on these vans and some masters i'm doing. sounds hard, but it isn't.

you punch lines of holes on the edge of sheets of plain white paper, with one of those plastic headed coloured pins used for noticeboards. this is a handy tool, but you need to make sure the pin head is sharp, by filing every now and then. just punch holes in straight lines using a metal ruler to guide you. then the strip can be cut out using a sharp hobby knife or scalpel (it has to be pretty sharp, if blunt at all it will snag the paper and tear!). cut the strip to length. use the knife to fit the strip snugly against the vertical bracing. soak the strip with MEK and it will stick to the styrene beneath. press carefully down the strip with the point of the knife; melted styrene will emerge through the punched holes, giving you nice TT scale bolts.

guess i am mad to do all this but i find it very engaging. all up this is a fun but difficult wagon.

i reckon i will use coastal engineering trucks drilled to accept farish 6.3mm wheels. the wagon is vacuum brake so the brake arrangements are more like a british wagon and different to what you'd see in the US; the lever is at the right end.
scaro

Postby AstroGoat760 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:38 pm

Working at Wal-Mart selling cell phones. Trying to get our upcoming farm in order, and working on plans for where the new TT layout will go. Showing off TT scale as much as I can. Enjoying not being in connecticut anymore, and awaiting the results to see what surgeries will happen soon to correct what the Navy and connecticut did to me.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby sd80mac » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:58 pm

I took a few published HO drawings of locos and freight cars and reduced them to 73% (72.5% is the actual number). TT is a promising scale, and the actual size is just about perfect!

Donnell
sd80mac

Postby areibel » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:41 pm

Not much! :(
This work stuff is REALLY starting to affect my modelling- I haven't had time to do much lately. But it looks like things will improve. I just got a package from Shapeways today with a two bay hopper and a pulpwood car so maybe if I can stay awake tomorrow after work I can get them rolling.
areibel

Postby ConducTTor » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:12 am

Oh man, I don't even want to talk about work :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

However, if you can give some info on the height of the pulp car in relation to the to coupler mounting and various trucks (like mine!), it would be great!
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Marquette » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:59 am

Picked up some of my decals... unfortunately the NP boxcar and the C&O BL2 decals aren't done yet... but after getting them home, I /did/ go on a "rampage" and got my LS&I boxcar decalled. Tomorrow, I'm gonna give my IC boxcar some light weathering, maybe get some work done on the hopper... maybe do some weathering on the LS&I car.

Also now have in hand a decal set for a New York Central 1937 AAR boxcar - which I don't have the car for yet, and a set for a Pere Marquette 40' gon... which I've started building... maybe having the decals will inspire me to get back to work on it...
Marquette

Next

Return to General Discussion