What's everybody up to?

Re: What's everybody up to?

Postby ctxmf74 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:28 am

I'm waiting for a set of decals for the TTnut PS2 then i'll be able to finish it. I found a set of N scale decals that
I think will do especially if I weather it as a typical cement car.
If the 3 bay hopper is not ready for sale soon I'll probably start on another cardboard car .....dave
ctxmf74

Postby Marquette » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:11 am

ctxmf74 wrote:I'm waiting for a set of decals for the TTnut PS2 then i'll be able to finish it. I found a set of N scale decals that
I think will do especially if I weather it as a typical cement car.
If the 3 bay hopper is not ready for sale soon I'll probably start on another cardboard car .....dave

I decided to use one of Dan Kohlberg's sets for an ICG PS2 - I'm using the data from that, plus reporting mark/roadnumbers jacked from an N scale MILW boxcar set, in which the lettering size is reasonably close to the right size for the TT hopper. I dunno, but I'd think the N scale lettering, especially for the data, would look far too small?
http://espeett.blogspot.com - The SP in 1:120 - my attempt at a blog
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Postby Arseny » Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:10 am

I am trying to read http://www.ttnut.com, but can't (from home). :wall:
Now I am in the office, and can do it! (via another ISP) :wave:

Also I'm working on my small layout-in-a-shelf, but it goes very slow...
Attachments
maket-004.jpg
maket-005.jpg
Arseny

Postby ctxmf74 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:43 pm

[quote="Marquette]
I dunno, but I'd think the N scale lettering, especially for the data, would look far too small?
[/quote]

Yeah, it's too small but I plan to cover most of it with cement weathering so it's not obvious. I'll look thru my junk collection and find the largest N data (or maybe the smallest HO data) I can then go from there. Definitly one of those things that makes modeling in TT a lot harder than it needs to be :>) .....dave
ctxmf74

Postby areibel » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:40 pm

ConducTTor wrote:However, if you can give some info on the height of the pulp car in relation to the to coupler mounting and various trucks (like mine!), it would be great!

OK for a quickie-
I screwed a set of your trucks with Gold Coast 36" wheels to the Pulpwood car and a tank car and added Microtrains 1025 couplers. (I put a bad pic from my ratty camera in my newly created personal gallery if you want to move it here, I couldn't figure out how!)
The coupler is about .105 thick, and on the pulpwood car it's about that much higher than on the tank. I know the tank will need a thin shim to raise th ebody off of the truck a bit which will bring it closer, and some shims between the coupler and the pad on the pulpwood car should make everything play nice.
It will actually help adding shims on the pulpwood car too, the plate Michael left is thin and the screw hole is off just a bit for using the Microtrains couplers (I glued it on for the comparison, but ACC won't usually hold up by itself for operation). Plus I think I'm going to have to look for a long shank or move the pocket out a bit, it looks like the coupler head is going to be too close to the body. It would work on big radius, but if I want to go 15" or less I think it might derail?
areibel

Postby ConducTTor » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:55 pm

areibel wrote:
ConducTTor wrote:However, if you can give some info on the height of the pulp car in relation to the to coupler mounting and various trucks (like mine!), it would be great!

OK for a quickie-
I screwed a set of your trucks with Gold Coast 36" wheels to the Pulpwood car and a tank car and added Microtrains 1025 couplers. (I put a bad pic from my ratty camera in my newly created personal gallery if you want to move it here, I couldn't figure out how!)
The coupler is about .105 thick, and on the pulpwood car it's about that much higher than on the tank. I know the tank will need a thin shim to raise th ebody off of the truck a bit which will bring it closer, and some shims between the coupler and the pad on the pulpwood car should make everything play nice.
It will actually help adding shims on the pulpwood car too, the plate Michael left is thin and the screw hole is off just a bit for using the Microtrains couplers (I glued it on for the comparison, but ACC won't usually hold up by itself for operation). Plus I think I'm going to have to look for a long shank or move the pocket out a bit, it looks like the coupler head is going to be too close to the body. It would work on big radius, but if I want to go 15" or less I think it might derail?

Do you have the 36" wheels on both cars (it looks like the tank has the 33" versions but maybe it's just the pic)? I've taken great care to get my cars and trucks to mate to be as close as possible to prototype height. I'm also unable to find the find the proper size wheels for a pulpwood car. But, I would say the pulpwood needs some revision (maybe it will only properly mate with A&D's trucks?). Having said that, it could be MY cars that are a bit off - but I don't believe that's the case.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby areibel » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:14 pm

Wow! Good Eye!
I thought they were all 36". but I measured them and they are 33" on the tank.
areibel

Postby ConducTTor » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:21 pm

areibel wrote:Wow! Good Eye!

Dude, my TT life in past several months has centered on tenths of millimeters :lol:
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby ctxmf74 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:52 pm

ConducTTor wrote: it could be MY cars that are a bit off - but I don't believe that's the case.

Yours are very close to prototype height. When I built my first car I calculated the correct coupler height and built a jig to test the mounting pad height and your PS2 fit it quite well with 33 inch HP wheelsets in your trucks.....dave
ctxmf74

Postby ctxmf74 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:09 pm

ConducTTor wrote:Having said that, it could be MY cars that are a bit off - but I don't believe that's the case.

No yours are very close. When I built my first TT scale car I calculated the correct mounting height for N scale couplers to be prototype height and made a jig to check the mounting pad and the PS2 with 33" HP wheels installed in your trucks matched up very well....dave
ctxmf74

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion