What power supply should I use?

What power supply should I use?

Postby TTbahner » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:54 pm

Hi,
Another newbie's question. As mentioned, I have a bunch of the old BTTB stuff that is 12V DC. I have european power supply by Fleischmann (220) that's not compatible in Canada.
What manufacture should I pick up here? What power supplies do you use?
Thanks
TTbahner

Re: What power supply should I use?

Postby ConducTTor » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:00 pm

For DC I use an MRC Tech4 280. That has two power buses. I believe the 240 model has a single power bus. For DCC I have a Lenz Compact.

The MRCs can be had for relatively little. IIRC, I picked mine up new for $40.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the ruling class know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby TTbahner » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:04 pm

Thanks
Is it important if it has one power bus or two. What's the advantage of two?
Any preferable online store that holds this item?
TTbahner

Postby ConducTTor » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:09 pm

I bought a dual bus just because I was going to have two separate "loops" in my layout. In retrospect, it didn't make much sense. Go with the single one and you'll be fine. You will have to sector off parts of your rail if you want to "drive" more than 1 loco at a time. The guys here who run DC can tell you more about it - I decided to go digital before I got into any of that.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the ruling class know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby BTTB Fan » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:39 pm

For TT scale, I find that MRC 220 (or is it 200?) is actually better than 240, as it has the lower max voltage which translates to a bit more precise control. MRC power packs regularly come up on eBay, and if you keep an eye on it for a couple of weeks you might score a unit for $15-$25 shipped.

Edit: I just remebered that you are in the GTA, ON, not the US. Bad news - shipping will typically be a killer. Good news - I think I have an extra MRC controller that I can sell to you, if you decide to get one of those. I live in Richmond Hill and work at Bathurst and Sheppard in Toronto.
Alexei
BTTB Fan

Postby TTbahner » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:46 pm

Thanks

BTTB Fan wrote:For TT scale, I find that MRC 220 (or is it 200?) is actually better than 240, as it has the lower max voltage which translates to a bit more precise control.

MRC 220 has 16VA and momentum, though MRC 200 has 17VA (source: http://www.modelrectifier.com/train-con ... -tech4.asp). I don't know what does it mean exactly.

BTTB Fan wrote:I live in Richmond Hill and work at Bathurst and Sheppard in Toronto.

I live @ Lawrence and Allen. We are really close
TTbahner

Postby BTTB Fan » Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:25 pm

TTbahner wrote:Thanks
BTTB Fan wrote:For TT scale, I find that MRC 220 (or is it 200?) is actually better than 240, as it has the lower max voltage which translates to a bit more precise control.

MRC 220 has 16VA and momentum, though MRC 200 has 17VA (source: http://www.modelrectifier.com/train-con ... -tech4.asp). I don't know what does it mean exactly.
BTTB Fan wrote:I live in Richmond Hill and work at Bathurst and Sheppard in Toronto.

I live @ Lawrence and Allen. We are really close

Well, the web site is not quite accurate. I have both 200 and 220 units, and for the DC portion (they also have AC for accessories) they list: MRC200 - 15.5VDC; MRC200 - 23VDC. MRC 220 also has the "Brake" and "momentum" features that I, personally, found quite useless. I checked and I have one each of 200 and 220 that are in like new condition (from the lot of 4 I bought some time ago), if you want either one, they are $25 and $30 repectively.
Alexei
BTTB Fan

Postby TTbahner » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:51 am

BTTB Fan wrote:Well, the web site is not quite accurate. I have both 200 and 220 units, and for the DC portion (they also have AC for accessories) they list: MRC200 - 15.5VDC; MRC200 - 23VDC. MRC 220 also has the "Brake" and "momentum" features that I, personally, found quite useless. I checked and I have one each of 200 and 220 that are in like new condition (from the lot of 4 I bought some time ago), if you want either one, they are $25 and $30 repectively.

What's the difference between 15.5VDC and 23VDC? Higher voltage it has, smoother ride will be? How does it work? The motor itself has some limits for voltage capacity. Using , let say, MRC 220 that has 23VDC, would the motor be overloaded?
"Brake" feature quite useless - I agree, though "momentum" gives your smoother start and stop, doesn' it.
TTbahner

Postby BTTB Fan » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:48 pm

The standard motors are a "12V" type, so anything that puts more than that to the rails has to be used with caution. In addition, many, if not most, locomotives reach maximum prototypically correct speeds way below 12V. And so, presuming that you would crank it up to 14V (max) at the controller, the 200 will give you more precise control than 220, simply because there is fewer volts per degree turn of the controller knob.
The "momentum" simply slows accelleration/deceleration from the initial position of the knob to the new position. I find that I can achieve the same effect by simply turning the knob slowly. All that said, any of the MRC 200 series (200, 220, 260, 280) work fine.
Alexei
BTTB Fan

Postby TTbahner » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:54 am

To BTTB Fan:

Sorry, it took me too long to respond. I would grab MRC 200 (if it‘s still available) .
TTbahner

Next

Return to General Discussion