43%
Diesel - Mechanical
No votes
Diesel - Hydraulic
14%

Total votes : 7

Re: What non-US engine do you want?

Postby 1 tt guy » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:34 pm

Hey Rich, welcome to our little corner of the world! As far as I know Tillig makes many different variants of the v100/112/212. Take a look here starting at the bottom of the page and continuing on the next page http://www.tillig.com/cgi-bin/tillig.pl?templ=tillig-pl/product-list3.html&sid=854467&spur_id=14&r3=64&r4=306&page1=&page0=1,0
They also have the v60 here http://www.tillig.com/cgi-bin/tillig.pl?templ=tillig-pl/product-list3.html&sid=854467&spur_id=14&r3=64&r4=306&page1=&page0=5,0

Also, I don't know how similar they are to the 628/928 but they also have railcars here http://www.tillig.com/cgi-bin/tillig.pl?templ=tillig-pl/product-list3.html&sid=854467&spur_id=14&r3=64&r4=307

From what I've read, the Kuehn Silberling is more detailed and closer to the prototype but I don't own either version so I can't confirm that.
1 tt guy

Postby ConducTTor » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:45 pm

1 tt guy wrote:From what I've read, the Kuehn Silberling is more detailed and closer to the prototype but I don't own either version so I can't confirm that.

Welcome Rich B! I need to make a 'welcome to the board' smiley one of these days.....

It just so happens that all my 'new school' passenger cars are one of each of those (different paint schemes but both Silberling). I'll take some pics for comparison in the next several days and put them in a new topic so this one doesn't experience a hijack.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby AstroGoat760 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:49 pm

I think I may need to explain the "Steam - Electric" option on the survey.

I am still trying to find which one it is in, but in one of the issues of Trains from WWII had a photo of a steam locomotive in a European country with a pantograph on it. The description given for it was that as coal and supplies for building electrical motors was hard to find, the boiler on the engine was fitted with electrical heaters.

When I find the issue that it was in, I will post the issue # and page #.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby Rich B » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:56 pm

Hi all,

I'll do a proper introduction in a seperate thread, to avoid hijacking this one!

The V60/V100 that Tillig do are Deutsche Reichsbahn variants- that is, the railway of East Germany. The Deutsche Bundesbahn (West Germany) ones are quite different. It's interesting how much the railways of East and West Germany mirror one another in classes.

This is a DB V60, which is an 0-6-0 against the 0-8-0 of the DR's version.
This is a 628, about 20 years the senior of the Desiros that Tillig produce.
[url]This is a DB V100[/url] (and not my photo!). BTTB have produced DR V100s in DB livery, inaccurate but probably catalogued as 211/212s- I have one in Orient Red as such.
Rich B

Postby ConducTTor » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:05 pm

Also the Voith Maxima 40 (I'm all about huge diesels)

Voith_Maxima_40_CC.jpg
Voith_Maxima_40_CC.jpg (18.58 KiB) Viewed 677 times
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby member13 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:45 pm

Speaking of huge diesels, in 1962 Henschel / Germany built one single V320 (DB V320 001 - it was basically to v160s) which proved to be very successful but ultimately the project was killed because emphasis was put on electrifying lines. That single V320 is still alive today and run by the private company H.F. Wiebe

DB_V320.jpg

V320_001.jpg
member13

Postby ConducTTor » Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:32 pm

Rich B wrote:.......These would be entirely at home on the Silberling coaches produced by Tillig and Kuehn

I've uploaded several pictures of these here http://www.ttnut.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=103.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby AstroGoat760 » Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:42 pm

Here is another non-US loco that I would like to see made:

Canadian National Railways #47, a 4-6-4T.
The engine was noted for it's use as the first locomotive to pull excursions for Steamtown, USA, when it was in Vermont. It was pulled from service due to some of it's records being destroyed in a fire, despite it's recent overhaul.

Now it sits on one of the side tracks in Steamtown, in Scranton, PA.
AstroGoat760

Postby AstroGoat760 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:29 pm

Here are some photos of the #47. By the way, she is the last of her type in left in North America.
Yes, I took dozens of photos of the old gal, primarily to serve as reference points for when I get further along and start scratchbuilding engines. This is one of the engines that I want to model, partially out of how unique it is, and partially because it got the royal screw job out of it's possible excursion career.
AstroGoat760

Postby CSD » Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:52 pm

Its nice that it got saved at all. Seems here in Canada that there is little interest/money for any living railroad history. A shame, Canadian steam trains were very beautiful.
Mark
//S
CSD

PreviousNext

Return to Prototypes / Models