What is this motor?

What is this motor?

Postby TTTerrific » Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:48 pm

Years ago (1995 NMRA Nat'l Con. Long Beach, CA) I purchased 10 of these little motors from a vendor at the model railroad show associated with the convention. The general overall size seems to be about right for powering a TT scale steamer or diesel locomotive. I have no idea as to the source, quality, original purpose or specs on this motor. Any commentary or info would be appreciated.
Attachments
IMG_0540.JPG
TTTerrific

Re: What is this motor?

Postby Bernd » Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:39 pm

TTTerrific wrote:Years ago (1995 NMRA Nat'l Con. Long Beach, CA) I purchased 10 of these little motors from a vendor at the model railroad show associated with the convention. The general overall size seems to be about right for powering a TT scale steamer or diesel locomotive. I have no idea as to the source, quality, original purpose or specs on this motor. Any commentary or info would be appreciated.

Lets start off by figuring out what voltage it is. I'd say 6 to 12 volts DC. Connect to a 12 or 14 volt variable out put, such as a DC power pack. If the speed peaks out at 6 volts I'd say it's a 6 volt. If it goes to 8 or 12 I'd say it would be safe to run at 12 volts. If you run it off DCC it would be easy to just set the high voltage to what ever is decided on motor voltage.

Bernd
Bernd

Re: What is this motor?

Postby areibel » Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:42 pm

It looks like a winner!
Like Bernd says you'll have to give it a test and see what voltage it wants to run at.
The only other question I would have is what RPM will it run at 12volts. If you can find anyone with a little contact tachometer that would tell you, you basically touch it to the end of the shaft and it'll tell you the RPM. I don't know a good place to start looking though, you might have a bit of a scavenger hunt on your hands!
The size looks great for TT, it will fit inside a diesel shell, you'd have one powered truck but that shouldn't be a big issue. The RPM would tell you a little more about what you'd have to gear for, so if you could solve that it would help.
areibel

Return to General Discussion