What is it about CSX?

Talk about anything and everything!

What is it about CSX?

Postby Dibbedabb » Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:50 am

Hello everyone,

I noticed some bad words here on the forum. Why do you hate CSX? Are they bad? Ugly? What is it?
Please tell me. For me it's just a railway company. :wtf:
Dibbedabb

Re: What is it about CSX?

Postby Marquette » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:28 am

They are Evil.

Almost as EVIL as Union Pacific, but not quite. Which is why they are only Evil and not EVIL.

Just as corporate entities, they are awful, awful things, the way they do business, the way they treat people, etc.
http://espeett.blogspot.com - The SP in 1:120 - my attempt at a blog
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Postby ConducTTor » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:35 am

The only thing I know about them for a fact is they treat their employees badly (my fiancee has some friends who do logistics and planning for them). The rest is stuff I've heard on forums.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Dibbedabb » Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:27 pm

Ah, alright. So it's about their way of business and employments... Ok. Then we also have evil companies. Like the drugstore company "Schlecker", that closes smaller stores, fires the employees, and offers them to work in the new "Schlecker XL" store - at much lower payment rates. Or the supermarket company "Lidl", that monitored their employees by camera.
Also employees were fired for just nothing...
- The supermarket "Kaisers" fired an employee, because she cashed a bottle deposit paper she found, worth less than 2 USD.
- Another company fired a worker who worked there for more than 20 years, because he charged his private cellphone. "Damage": less than 1 (one!) cent.
- A public utility company fired a garbageman, because he took himself a babybed out of the bin lorry that took the garbage to the incineration plant!
They are EVIL!
Dibbedabb

Postby jmass » Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:19 pm

ive had a few encounters with csx folk, and at worst was asked not to stay on property to long.as far as modeling goes i like the csx design, and also norfolk southern, as they are the two big freight railways in the northeast.
jmass

Postby AstroGoat760 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:36 pm

Nicholle and I have had a few bad encounters with CSX, with them demanding that we not take pictures from public areas. In one encounter, the CSX rep broke Nicholle's camera shortly before the police arrived. The police took our side, and demanded that CSX pay for the repairs to the camera, which CSX at first said that they would do, and then refused to do so.

Then there is the public persona of CSX: bland. There is no heritage program, like that of UP, and no real acknowledgement of it's past, like BNSF embraces.

Then there is the way that CSX treats it's workers, which has been mentioned in this thread already.

Then there is the high profile wrecks and the poor upkeep of the track that CSX does, and the amount of time that Amtrak trains are delayed on CSX tracks versus all of the other Class 1's.

I like UP due to the heritage program, and how it takes care of military veterans.
I like BNSF because of the same reasons, as well as the fact that BNSF actively uses railfans to keep an eye on it's lines and equipment and does not harass railfans like CSX typically does.(CSX divisions in the South are much nicer to railfans than in the Northeast....)

There are many, many reasons why CSX is not well liked. The Chessie System was one of the most loved railroads in the US, and look what they did to it...
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby Marquette » Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:15 pm

NS has its issues too... when I was in South Carolina I heard from a few longtime employees who were former Southern employees about what a contrast it is to have worked for Southern and then for NS...

CN is also quite evil, especially as regards to railfans. One instance, I was with some friends shooting in a yard in New Westminster; we were in the area just between the CN yard and the CP yard, on Southern of BC track... and CN police started yelling at us. I pointed out that we were on Southern trackage, at the limit of the CP yard, so they're out of line yelling at us... they didn't like it, but couldn't do much... Southern BC is super awesome, though, they'll even give you visits to their shops if you ask nicely.
http://espeett.blogspot.com - The SP in 1:120 - my attempt at a blog
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Postby ConducTTor » Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:54 pm

So maybe the lesson here is that corporations in general tend to be evil (I've thought so for a long time)?
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Dibbedabb » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:26 am

AngrySailor302 wrote:The police took our side, and demanded that CSX pay for the repairs to the camera, which CSX at first said that they would do, and then refused to do so.

Oh, that's bad. Don't you have a possibility to force them?

AngrySailor302 wrote:Then there is the high profile wrecks and the poor upkeep of the track that CSX does, and the amount of time that Amtrak trains are delayed on CSX tracks versus all of the other Class 1's.

There is a trick that the german DB uses, since everything is one company (although officially different parts): If a track is in bad condition and the german network operator DB Netz has to install temporary speed restrictions down to 10 or 20kph, the trains get delays (of course). But that doesn't necessarily result in repairing the track, but in changing the train's timetable. Like, if a train is scheduled to arrive at 12:05pm, and loses 5 mins due to bad tracks, DB Netz changes it's time of arrival to 12:10pm - the train is on schedule again. The annual punctuality report is just a fake in many parts. Luckily that mostly happens on secondary lines, but over all the german network condition gets worse every year, since DB Netz restrains investments into network upkeep worth three-digit multi-million Euro amounts.
It's the same with railtrack in the UK. They spend more into shareholder value than into network upkeep, with the result of several heavy train accidents through bad track conditions, causing dozen of deads. The british government bought the network back (after privatizing it years before).

AngrySailor302 wrote:I like UP due to the heritage program, and how it takes care of military veterans.

What do they do for military veterans? I thought, UP is a freight company, so they can't give discount on train tickets?
Dibbedabb

Postby AstroGoat760 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:32 pm

Dibbedabb wrote:
AngrySailor302 wrote:The police took our side, and demanded that CSX pay for the repairs to the camera, which CSX at first said that they would do, and then refused to do so.

Oh, that's bad. Don't you have a possibility to force them?

We were told by a lawyer that the court costs would be much higher the value of the camera repairs, so we had to drop the issue and eat the cost of the camera repairs.
AngrySailor302 wrote:Then there is the high profile wrecks and the poor upkeep of the track that CSX does, and the amount of time that Amtrak trains are delayed on CSX tracks versus all of the other Class 1's.

There is a trick that the german DB uses, since everything is one company (although officially different parts): If a track is in bad condition and the german network operator DB Netz has to install temporary speed restrictions down to 10 or 20kph, the trains get delays (of course). But that doesn't necessarily result in repairing the track, but in changing the train's timetable. Like, if a train is scheduled to arrive at 12:05pm, and loses 5 mins due to bad tracks, DB Netz changes it's time of arrival to 12:10pm - the train is on schedule again. The annual punctuality report is just a fake in many parts. Luckily that mostly happens on secondary lines, but over all the german network condition gets worse every year, since DB Netz restrains investments into network upkeep worth three-digit multi-million Euro amounts.
It's the same with railtrack in the UK. They spend more into shareholder value than into network upkeep, with the result of several heavy train accidents through bad track conditions, causing dozen of deads. The british government bought the network back (after privatizing it years before).

I do not see CSX using slower speeds as an answer to deferred maintenance. If the costs of the occasional derailment due to poor trackwork cost less than the upgrade costs and are offset by the savings from higher speeds, there is little motivation to repair the track, or to apply common sense and slow down either...
AngrySailor302 wrote:I like UP due to the heritage program, and how it takes care of military veterans.

What do they do for military veterans? I thought, UP is a freight company, so they can't give discount on train tickets?

No, UP does not routinely run passenger trains, but UP along with BNSF have been recognized as being in the top 50 corporations for employment of military veterans and reservists.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Next

Return to Off Topic