What do you think?

Board rules and such. Read before posting.

What do you think?

Postby ConducTTor » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:22 pm

We're very close to our 1 year anniversary so I would like some feedback on this site. Specifically, the reasons for this site's existence.

Even more specifically, I aimed for the following:

Communicating with other TTers (in English) - that goal has been met as far as I'm concerned.

Promoting TT in North America - which breaks down two things:
#1 Promote TT. Period.
#2 promote those who manufacture NA specific products and those who offer TT scale models to the NA community.

I would like to know your opinions on those two. Have they been met? If so, what is being done right? If not, what is being done wrong?

Is there something you would like to see more of?

Is there anything that could be provided but isn't?

I'm asking these questions because I would like to make the board even better in its second year.

Thanks - The Nut
My website: https://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Re: What do you think?

Postby BTTB Fan » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:21 am

On #1, I think, things are going well. Specifically, the excellent work done by Marquette on prototypes by country, with contributions from others, goes a long way in promoting TT scale.
On #2, we always run into the chicken/egg issue of "insufficient manufacturing because there is no demand because there is no available models". I don't think there are any quick and easy fixes for this. Success of #1 would drive #2. Metioning TTnut on web sites and printed materials of existing TT manufacturer would be beneficial for everyone (GoldCoast already did it, I think). Using things like "review" function on ETH site to breifly comment on a TT item and direct readers to the more complete review here on TTNut would help. Same goes for TTNut members' Youtube videos, etc. It's a fine line to not be considered "spam", but if done right, it goes a long way in increasing general awareness.
Alexei
BTTB Fan

Postby CSD » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:12 am

Things are going well. Off the top of my head I can't think of anything that needs more attention. Content, after all, is determined by the membership. Putting something physical in front of a crowd generates interest. We gained a couple of new members after the Vancouver show. Some kind of press release would be beneficial for these situations and having an actual manufacturer there definitely helped. Again, the success of such an endeavor is in the hands of the individual. So, my comment would be to promote participation in events.
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby ctxmf74 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:24 pm

ConducTTor wrote:We're very close to our 1 year anniversary so I would like some feedback on this site. Specifically, the reasons for this site's existence.
Communicating with other TTers (in English) - that goal has been met as far as I'm concerned.
Promoting TT in North America - which breaks down two things:
#1 Promote TT. Period.
#2 promote those who manufacture NA specific products and those who offer TT scale models to the NA community.
I would like to know your opinions on those two. Have they been met? If so, what is being done right? If not, what is being done wrong?
Is there something you would like to see more of?
Is there anything that could be provided but isn't?

Hi Nut, Thanks for providing the site, I think it's doing very well for only one year of existence. You have a lot more traffic than the Yahoo old TT site. I'm learning a lot about TT and finally thinking it's viable to model the US scene in some way in TT gauge.
From the amount of european topics on the site it looks like TT in general needed a new site too. I guess as the scale expands the two interests can divide into two discussion groups or websites but for now they seem to get along alright here.
What I'd like to see? More US construction activity would be nice, maybe some scratch built freight cars or buildings? Everyone seems to be too tied to waiting for new products instead of building what we can from scratch? I'd like a lot of new products too but I don't think they are gonna make everything I need to build a layout off the shelf in the foreseeable future so I'm thinking of ways to make the stuff myself .
Along this line of thought I'd like to see someone market simple things like etched brass ladders and roofwalks, cast brake gear, HP sized wheelsets trucks,etc, and some common scenery details like garbage cans, city mailboxes, fire hydrants, etc. Basic low cost stuff that can be used on lots of projects. Maybe a group co-op like the 3mm society for USA models would be feasible?
The second year will be interesting and I think things will improve at an increasing rate as TT becomes more visible to the general modeling public. There's a lot of HO and N scalers who love the size of TT and will take the plunge when things reach a critical mass, we just gotta keep pushing to find that point......dave
ctxmf74

Postby Zs12 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:54 pm

ctxmf74 wrote:Maybe a group co-op like the 3mm society for USA models ...

... is a very good idea!

I guess, all important things were already said. What we further need are:
    * more eye candy for interested modeler (and ourselfes), especially good TT scratch builds
    * more north-american style TT layouts, currently we've only ONE
    * more present on exhibitions
To enhance these will be our task for the next time. I think, the conditions are quite good!

I guess, we'll have two great US-TT years 2010 and 2011, because something goes on, new models are on the way: an EMD GP38 (TT Scale Society), an EMD SD45 (Norkin-Model), an EMD SD40-2 (Art&Detail), new box car variants, a new reefer (both Gold Coast), two new box cars, turnout signals (both Art&Detail) and Lok-n-Roll's EMD GP7 project step by step nears its end, their flat car also does.

By the way the Iris Creek Valley RR group polishs up and enlarges its layout and works on an Alco Road Switcher. That's merely what we know until now. Not bad, I would say. :smile:

cheers!

> lüTTe
Zs12

Postby gabbysuz » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:57 pm

Hello All,

Speaking from my previous 6 months on here, I have to say I look forward every day seeing what new posts
are on the various topics, seeing either layouts or models being built, news from the World regarding new
TT products, and getting to know my fellow TT enthusiasts has only made my experience in TT that much more
enjoyable, not to mention the super fun :P trip to Vancouver earlier this year which would not have happened for me
if I wasn't a member.

Speaking from a Manufactures point of view and for the development of TT overall, I think this group is a necessity !
Having a place to go to learn and chat about TT worldwide in English is very helpful, as some people may search for
TT on google, and they will see this site with all the information right here. That would not happen if all forums where in Russian or German etc... only.

I also agree that for TT to grow, there is no better way than exposure, in magazines, websites, youtube, and most
important of all, train meets, shows, and fairs in person ! After all, that is where we discovered TT, 12+ years ago, and if it wasn't for that chance encounter, Gold Coast would not be in TT, nor would I (most likely). Doesn't have to be a National show or the largest, sometimes you get more people interested at the smaller ones. That is why we (Gold Coast) are looking into construction of a small working North American layout / display to take to shows that we can attend. We are also looking at attending the Leipzig Hobby Fair in October this year. (I'd love a trip to Germany but I'll have to wait and see, the euro being down is helping my odds at the moment !)

So thank you Mr. ConducTTor for starting and continuous operation of this site, I'm sure it will continue to grow over the years, member by member. :thumbup:
gabbysuz

Postby areibel » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:56 am

gabbysuz wrote:So thank you Mr. ConducTTor for starting and continuous operation of this site, I'm sure it will continue to grow over the years, member by member. :thumbup:

Amen!

I really think this has helped the cause a lot! The TT_IMS gets bursts of activity, but not really a constant flow like here. And the information on the mix of American and European products available has been a huge help to me. I'll admit, other than a few specific examples I still can't tell most of the different European locos apart. This places is a great way to learn the specifics! And hearing other members descriptions of how they did this or solved a problem, Excellent!

Take a bow, Mr. Conducttor!
areibel

Postby AstroGoat760 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:31 am

I would have to say that thi site has been of great help and impa ct on the TT scale community, and that it is made the visibility of TT scale better.

I am quite sure, that for his outstanding efforts with this site and bringing everyone together, that we need to send ConducTTor some Hooters gift cards so he can expand his studies....of beer!

Thanks, ConducTTor for the first year of TTnut.com, and here's to many, many more years to come!
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby ConducTTor » Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:48 am

Anyone wanting to send beer is encouraged to do so :lol:
My website: https://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby AstroGoat760 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:46 am

ConducTTor wrote:Anyone wanting to send beer is encouraged to do so :lol:

I think it would be easier to send gift cards than actual beer itself, as many postal workers would steal the beer from the package and not even leave a thank you note...
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Next

Return to About The Board