Western Rails 2016

Re: Western Rails 2016

Postby Bernd » Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:20 am

Nice shot of the layout. Really like the second pic, emptying a Guinness brew. One of my favorite brews.

Bernd
Bernd

Postby ConducTTor » Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:56 pm

:thumbup:
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby dileTTante » Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:14 am

Some photos. Maybe more commentary tomorrow. Better yet, posts from others. This show suffered from low numbers of vendors and layouts. Anyway, I almost talked another TT person into joining us. Another models Swiss in HOm. Interesting to me at least. Voytek's double unit loco I think was 3D printed.
-Terry C.
Attachments
DSC03457R.JPG
DSC03458R.JPG
DSC03460R.JPG
DSC03462R.JPG
DSC03464R.JPG
dileTTante

Postby dileTTante » Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:21 am

Other five--
Terry C
Attachments
DSC03467R.JPG
DSC03471R.JPG
DSC03472R.JPG
DSC03480R.JPG
DSC03482R.JPG
dileTTante

Postby CN-TT » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:46 am

Yeah, the show was "smaller" this year. And colder! I was wearing 4 layers and my hat. I had some trouble with the electronics of my turnouts at the beginning. After a view minutes everything worked fine again. My guess is the low temperature.
It was the first time we ran the layout with Terrys black Z21. We connected my Multimaus, some tablet PCs, smartphones, and Bills wireless Digitrax throttles. No Problem for the Z21. Tibi can tell us more about handling the layout with tablets.
Unfortunatelly, Bills reverser did not work. This is one thing that has to be solved until the Indi show.
Terry and I solved some DCC poblems with his beautiful Polish locos. The electric double engine is from shapeways and has a fantastic paint job!
You gotta do much more than believe if you really wanna change things!

"The GuiTTar Case" Gallery
"The GuiTTar Case" YouTube
CN-TT

Postby dileTTante » Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:54 pm

Clarification - 'his' Polish locos are Voytek's, not mine.

Although the show was obviously much reduced, the vendors I asked said the day was good, and the children told me about the HO cars they had bought, making the day worthwhile.

-Terry C.
dileTTante

Postby CN-TT » Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:08 pm

Of course Voytek's locos! Stupid me :wall:
You gotta do much more than believe if you really wanna change things!

"The GuiTTar Case" Gallery
"The GuiTTar Case" YouTube
CN-TT

Postby CFRiad » Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:23 pm

Yes, it was a very good show. We are much quicker and smoother in setting up the layout. Things worked well on the large layout: the Z21 worked really well. The entire layout running 2-3 locos and ~8 switch machines sucked amperage well below the controller's capabilities.

Setting up the Roco app the first time takes a bit of work for creating a library of all the locos to be driven. It took me 15 minutes to set up 8 locos including their photo icons and their function keys. The controller app displays speeds either as percentages of maximum or as actual speeds on km/h or MPH. The function keys are fully customizable down to their icons (lights, couplers, etc.) and to their action: momentary, toggle, timed.

Once set up, the operations is very easy and sleek. You can swipe the screen left and right to switch between the control panels of various locos. The photo icons let you identify easily which one is which.

The only thing that needs advance preparation is having enough juice for the tablets/phones. I used Bjoern's tablet with a battery booster and that lasted ~6 hours. I switched to my iPhone for the last hour of the show. The key is to have enough devices pre-programmed and charged ready to be grabbed on a short notice. Also about 17,000 power outlets and chargers handy. :wink:

Having an empty space in the centre of the layout seemed a good idea, but it turned out that I ended up operating only from the outside. If we are going to have a centre space in Indy, we need two people focused on operating at any given time: there is no way to access the staging yard and reversing loop from the "pit".

All in all it was a good session. We had fun, we avoided major mishaps we had lots of interest from the public and honestly, we had the most interesting layout in the show. My only regret: I did not take any photos. The only problem: the air-con in the hall was set to something between "it is bloody cold" and "meat locker".

More ideas about how to prep for a smooth operation in Indy to come. I will post them in the thread dedicated for the Indy layout.

Z21_app.png
Last edited by CFRiad on Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
CFRiad

Postby CFRiad » Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:28 am

One thing to clarify on my previous post: each device (phone, tablet, etc.) running the Roco app needs to be set up individually with the loco libraries. There is supposed to be a way for exporting a library from one device and import it on another, but we haven't figured out yet how to use this feature.
CFRiad

Postby ConducTTor » Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:34 pm

CFRiad wrote:One thing to clarify on my previous post: each device (phone, tablet, etc.) running the Roco app needs to be set up individually with the loco libraries.

OMG that sounds like a terrible pain :o
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Events