Western Rails 2014

Western Rails 2014

Postby Bill Dixon » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:04 pm

My TT-Tracks display will be at the: "Western Rails 2014" 32nd Annual Railroadiana Show
Sunday March 16, 2014, 9 AM to 4 PM at
Cameron Recreation Complex
9523 Cameron Street, Burnaby, BC, Canada.

Setup will be Saturday March 15 3PM to 6PM.

The layout will be available for anybody who wants to bring something to run or display or swap.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Re: Western Rails 2014

Postby dileTTante » Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:45 pm

We're all set up for Sunday's show, the first ones on the scene with trains running, as usual. No photos tonight, set-up started a bit late. Maybe Bill Dixon will post something. Otherwise expect some pictures late Sunday. So far we have Bill, Voyttek and me for TT. Stay tuned.
-Terry C.
dileTTante

Postby CSD » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:18 pm

I hope you have a great show, guys! Wish I was there.
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby Marquette » Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:14 am

I'll be there!
http://espeett.blogspot.com - The SP in 1:120 - my attempt at a blog
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Postby dileTTante » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:34 pm

Today's train show in Vancouver was the ninth one with TT scale on exhibit, and started our fifth year of showing TT. I can remember attending the show with no worries about spending money because no one had TT for sale. Those days are over -- I just bought some goods wagons and a BR50.

Attending TT nuts were Bill Dixon, Marquette, and myself, along with newcomer Bjorn who had seen our display last year. My non-TT friend Graeme was with me to help with set-up and take-down.

Bill's TT Tracks layout looks good and seems vast. The lovely crossover he built proved to have problems and had to be removed. He'll give details soon. Our day began with a variety of small problems which got sorted out one way or another.

Although Bill generously offers his layout for running any TT brought to the show, I thought it would be nice not to distract from the N. American models. So I brought an oval of track for European TT -meaning mostly my own German trains. The oval has a turnout and spur for setting up a train while running something else. The whole thing is made of sections of half inch styrofoam. Our layouts are truly TT because everything is on top of tables.

To run my trains I tried for the first time the Roco Z21 command station which I got at the beginning of the year. I had an android tablet (Kobo Vox e-reader) sitting on the table as a hand held throttle. While we had many people looking at the TT, I think I had more people ask about the DCC system when they spotted the tablet with the Z21 throttle app. I suspect that's because our TT trains have become a familiar sight for regular visitors to the shows. At least that's my theory. We had hardly anyone ask 'Is this N scale?'

The show was well attended. The fun is still there but the novelty is gone. The exhibits from show to show are not much different, so I didn't take the time for many photographs.

Well, not all the novelty was gone. Bjorn brought his BR107 with decoder, sound and lights, which he ran on a roller-bed powered by a Sprog programmer from his laptop. He also brought and demonstrated his SW1200 in which he installed a coupler remotely controlled through the decoder. Unfortunately, while it worked perfectly before the show, it worked not at all during the show. He discovered the wire which operates it had broken.

I'm pretty tired, as usual and I don't know what else to write. I can try to answer any questions, or you can wait to read what Bill and Marquette, and CN-TT have to say.
-Terry C.
Attachments
DSC01748R.JPG
DSC01751R.JPG
DSC01753R.JPG
DSC01764R.JPG
DSC01765R.JPG
dileTTante

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:02 am

:clap:

Looks like a good time :smile: I can't wait until I attend a show as an exhibitor again. The CP Rail SW1200 is gorgeous :thumbup:
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby CN-TT » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:21 pm

Hi guys,

thanks for having me at the show, a great chance for my SW1200 to leave the yard. It was very good. We did some good TT-talking. I already have some plans for the next show in November and unfortunately I have some serious work to do with my remote controlled coupler :wall:
I would like to post the .mov that shows the DCC coupler. Is here a ttnut who has a youtube account and is willing to put it there?

Thanks.
CN-TT

Postby milwrd1 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:03 pm

Thanks for the photos :thumbup: :thumbup:

Especially enjoyed see the NYC and CP Rail SW1200's.
milwrd1

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:38 pm

What coupler did you use for this?
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Bill Dixon » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:39 pm

Despite a few problems Western Rails was a good show.

Voyteck, Terry and Graeme were there to help with setup Saturday afternoon.
The display was up quickly and a train was running through my new crossover module.
The module worked well Saturday evening.
After we finished setup it was off to the parking lot in the rain to transfer the layout Voytek was selling.
How he got it into his Toyata I do not know. It would not fit easily in my older Dodge Caravan.
It was too long to fit flat on the floor, too long to go diagonally across the rear. We couldn't get it between the seats. It was raining so we did not want it hanging out the back. Eventually we got it loaded with it sitting on the back of the driver and passenger seats. It was an uncomfortable ride home, happily not too long a ride. It took three of us to load it, there was only me to unload it. It took a while and there was a hard bump or two but nothing was damaged. It is now sitting upright in my basement. Now I have to clean out my layout room so it can be set up and run.

Sunday dawned way too early at 5:30 AM, only two hours before our alarm clock usually goes off. It was the start of a long day.
In the hall at 7:00 AM to help setup the store then get trains running.
Xenia and Bjorn showed up to run. Voytek hung around until 2PM then he started the long drive home. As there were enough of us to run trains I was able to spend most of my time at the store. Other than at our display there was no TT for sale although I did find a Maisto tank car ($ 1)and a few HO Scale items of interest.

Other than the problems with my new crossover module, things ran well.

At 4 PM tear down started. With four of us there it went well. I rushed a bit too much and sliced myself twice on module rails. No biggie, that is why I always carry band aids.<G>
After my display was loaded up and we said our good byes It was back to the store to help with that pack up.
Stop for good burgers on the way home then wait for the short deluge of rain to pass before unloading.

Despite the problems with the crossover on Sunday it was good show.
The six of us had a good time. Some day at a future show we will have to get someone to take a group photo.
There is much to do before the next show. I have neglected my rolling stock. I need to go through all my equipment and take care of truck issues. I have cars to finish and decal. Modules to add scenery to and more.

The next official show will be in October at Chilliwack. Terry and Graeme may go for both Saturday and Sunday, I can only attend Sunday perhaps with a passenger.
If there is enough interest there is the possibility of a Sunday setup or two over the summer.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Next

Return to General Discussion