Western Rails 2013 model train show in Vancouver BC

Western Rails 2013 model train show in Vancouver BC

Postby dileTTante » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:10 pm

Looking ahead, the next model railroad show in Vancouver is coming up soon, Western Rails 2013 a one-day event. The link to Western Rails didn't work for me so here is some basic information.

Western Rails 2013 31st Annual Railroadiana Show
Sunday March 17, 2013 9 AM to 4 PM
Cameron Recreation Complex
9523 Cameron Street, Burnaby, BC - behind Lougheed Town Centre.

Adults" $ 5.00
Family: $ 12.00
Senior (60+) and Youth (6-15): $ 3.00
Children (Under 6): Free

Full details at Western Rails
For further information:
e mail or phone (604)484-2791

It looks like fewer of us will be there. Hopefully Bill will have his modular layout, and I'm re-doing the staging area to attach to it. Anyone interested is welcomed to join us or send us TT things to exhibit.
-Terry C.
dileTTante

Re: Western Rails 2013 model train show in Vancouver BC

Postby Bill Dixon » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:12 pm

I have asked for the following space at Western Rails:
20130211 Western Rails.jpg

Besides my display on my own tables we will have two more tables, one on the side for the staging yard and model display and one behind for storage. There is also plenty of room inside the display for models. I have asked for three chairs, and six name tags.

All going well I will be there Saturday (March 16) afternoon about 2 PM to setup.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby CSD » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:30 am

Sorry, Gents, RATT will not be at the show. I just attended a meeting of the club Chief Engineers and we have elected to concentrate on development projects.
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby Arseny » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:26 am

I wish you good luck on the show! I take a look on your photos with a great interest everytime!
It's very pity that RATT will not take part, but I hope it will be a good show nevertheless.
Arseny

Postby Bill Dixon » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:14 pm

Just a week to go until Western Rails and I am still not ready.

It is a cold overcast day outside, not really good for working on the Sundeck but as it is the last weekend before the show it was time to set up the display and see what needs to be done. Last weekend was much better (sunny) but my back was hell so I spent most of the weekend lying down.
20130310 Display for Western Rails.jpg

The display is almost too large to setup on the sundeck. Still enough room for the two more side modules planned.

It was a good thing I did the setup as the new module had a few issues. The track had drifted to the left a bit and thus did not over hang the right edge of the module enough to make a good connection with the next module. As well when I cut the foam for it I did not cut it correctly. Happily as it is a foam module a bit of work with a wood saw cured the problems (and made a mess of foam bits<G>).

The display still needs work but it is ready to show.
Now to work on equipment. I hope to have a few finished hoppers to run at the show.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:36 pm

Looking really good Bill :thumbup:
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby dileTTante » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:55 pm

Another nice thing about TT Tracks styrofoam modules is that they're easy to set up. Once again we TTers were the first ones set up and running trains, ready for tomorrow's show. Bill Dixon layout looks great and works well, but we didn't have the extra track to link it to my staging yard. The yard is an improved version, except for appearance, because I had only watercolour paints on hand. When I tried to blend colours the paints just lifted up from the surface. I've covered the surface with matte glaze which can be painted over easily, but repainting will have to wait.

Photos show Bill and my friend Graeme and my recently acquired KRES VT 135.

We're ready.
By the way, table rental is only $35, or maybe $30 -can't remember what Bill told me it was.
-Terry
Attachments
DSC00301R.JPG
DSC00305R.JPG
dileTTante

Postby Bill Dixon » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:57 am

With Graeme and Terrys help loading in and setup went well.

The only hiccup was my Digitrax Chief. It wouldn't turn track power on. I traced it to a bad battery. It was last changed in 2010 so was well past its prime. I removed the battery and not having a spare to hand we are running with out one. Not a problem on this small display.

There is another TT-Scale layout at the show made with Triang Track. We will see about posting a picture tomorrow.

Spent this evening getting equipment ready. I have a handful of hoppers ready to show; four ribbed side and one offset side. None of them are completely finished (most need grab irons and brake wheels) but they are painted, decalled and have trucks and couplers. We will post pictures tomorrow after the show.

One dealer has some older TT equipment for sale there. We will post on that tomorrow as well.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby ConducTTor » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:14 am

Awesome guys! Can't wait for more pix :wave:
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby dileTTante » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:32 am

The train show went well but the weekend was tiring, so I had to get some sleep before posting anything. Arrangement of tables didn't hide the fact that there were fewer exhibitors at the show, and attendance was low, although our TT display attracted much attention. I talked with one or two people who seemed seriously interested in the scale. We handed out about twenty brochures about TT. From the neighbouring Central Hobbies area Bill Dixon kept an eye on our display while Marquette and I took turns attending to TT. Bill's layout worked well and looked good. He added the obsolete corner modules to make a circle in the middle where I ran my triebwagens from KRES and BTTB.

Earlier in the day I ran my digital trains but later we changed one track to DC and ran Bill's diesel and hopper cars. Later the second track was made DC and Marquette ran some European locos and passenger cars.

One of the vendors who specializes in British TT had a small layout of Triang trains. For the show he dressed up in a London station master's uniform. There are many eccentric people in this hobby. One fellow who visited our table when I asked him what trains he had said he had a sailboat. He was from Denmark originally and 84 years old. He showed me he could touch his toes.

Another vendor who had been absent from shows for a while had lots of European trains for sale. He's liquidating his stock to prepare for retirement. I bought a BTTB BR 254 from him and it looks like fitting a decoder into it will be an interesting project. He may eventually advertise his stock here.

CSD and anotherTTnut were very much missed. Some people remember talking to them at our last show. We told them of the promise of a TT scale SW1200 and handed out brochures.

Hopefully Bill will post some photos. Since there was not much new in the show I didn't take many pictures. I didn't have the leisure for a thorough look at other displays and due to the low light in the hall and my fatigue many photos didn't turn out well. Here are a few, and after Bill posts his photos I'll post some more.

-Terry C.
Attachments
DSC00310R.JPG
DSC00316R.JPG
DSC00317R.JPG
DSC00326R.JPG
DSC00327R.JPG
Last edited by dileTTante on Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
dileTTante

Next

Return to General Discussion