Western Rails 2013 model train show in Vancouver BC

Re: Western Rails 2013 model train show in Vancouver BC

Postby dileTTante » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:42 am

It was rather lonely at the show. Probably many people were hung over from celebrating St Patrick's Day. In addition to CSD and anotherTTnut I had hoped to see Voytek, too, but he didn't show up. It's understandable, considering the many hours of travel for them to attend. More pictures later. I have to get more sleep.
Attachments
DSC00308R.JPG
DSC00309R.JPG
DSC00314R.JPG
DSC00315R.JPG
DSC00343R.JPG
dileTTante

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:29 pm

I like the four round modules in the middle :) They're funny.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Bill Dixon » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:24 pm

ConducTTor wrote:I like the four round modules in the middle :) They're funny.

Those are the original mini corners I made. I brought them to fill the hole in he centre of the display.
Did a good job of that. As mentioned in another thread I am contemplating using three of them plus a few special pieces to make a reversing loop in the centre of the display.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby Bill Dixon » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:42 pm

Here is an image of the back of my mini van loaded with the display:
20130318 Van Full of Display.jpg

From the bottom left:
- A paper box full of equipment and other stuff,
- On top of that my original Tillig TT Train set.
- On top of that a long box with two straight modules.

Behind that pile is just visible one of the large boxes that carries a two foot corner. There are two stacked on top of each other there.
- On top of that stack is another two foot corner with an older mini corner on top of that.

To the right you can see the gray storage box with the DCC System (Digitrax Chief), and extension cord, table coverings, a module separation tool (Putty knife) and shims for the tables.
- Behind that you can see two more long boxes with straight modules in them.
- On top of that stack another mini corner.

- A long box can hold from one to three straight modules depending on the height of the scenery. The Switch tower module requires its own box. Two medium height modules can fit in one box. Three low height modules can just fit in one box.
As I work on the scenery I expect to end up with a few more single modules boxes

On the right you can see two of the folding tables I have and the luggage cart I use to carry the tables and boxes of equipment. The module boxes are light enough to carry by themselves although the corner boxes are awkward.

Not visible in the picture are the six sided corner sitting on the middle passenger bench and the other two mini corners sitting on that.

It all make a bulky but light load.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby Bill Dixon » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:03 pm

The display went well.

Show attendance was light - too nice a day outside.

After initial teething problems the equipment ran well.

I had neglected to bring my B&O DCC equipped F Unit and only had the POS Lok-n-Roll equipped GP9. True to form it spit out its universals AGAIN and stopped working. I want to consign this chassis to the garbage can but have to much money invested in it to just throw it away. I will fiddle with it yet again. Maybe I can send it back for service by Loc-n-Roll. I will look into that.

Happily I had the Possum Valley equipped unit F Unit I acquired from Felix. What a trooper, it ran all day long with out complaining. Over seven hours without an issue. Wish I could get more of these.

I ran a eight car train, including caboose. Sorry I only have one blurry photo of the whole train.
20130317 N A Train.jpg

First was a Gold Coast CNR Box car, then five resin hoppers (two ribbed side, one offset side and then two more ribbed side), a RailTT 40' flat car with lumber load and a modified RailTT Steel Caboose. On the caboose, I blanked out the rear window on the five window side to make room for the decals, repainted the model and added a half oz of weight.

They all ran well all day long.

They display ran well. Would have been nice to have another body to help.
Had one or two problems with little kids touching. Either plexi glass around the out side or using show supplied eight foot tables to give a foot of setback all around the layout will resolve this. Will think about this.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:08 pm

Thanks guys. I LOVE the show "postmortems".
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby dileTTante » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:50 am

A few more photos. One shows two dead TT brands - Rokal and Gutzold. Yes, I know the wheels are off the track.

Another thing people might consider in setting up a display is the mixing of DC and digital equipment. While it was really useful to be able to run DC and DCC on the same layout, putting DC into the outer loop of the layout meant physically disconnecting the staging yard where DCC locos were parked. The DC locos had to be put on the main track whenever they were to be run. This defeats the purpose of the staging yard. I could isolate some tracks in the yard for DC but I'm sure that would produce human error and feed DC into DCC locos by mistake. Bill hopes to put a turntable on the layout. That can help with storage of trains but I feel that mixing analogue and digital leads to trouble.
Attachments
DSC00318R.JPG
DSC00341R.JPG
DSC00344R.JPG
DSC00348R.JPG
DSC00349R.JPG
dileTTante

Postby dileTTante » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:58 am

Last photos from me. These are from the rest of the show -the unfortunates who haven't chosen TT. There were two models of Canada's Turbo Train, one in HO and the other in O scale. The O scale layouts were on the floor of the hall. And the children after bashing the O scale stuff -and having a good time -then visited our layout.
-Terry
Attachments
DSC00336R.JPG
DSC00339R.JPG
DSC00333R.JPG
DSC00332R.JPG
DSC00331R.JPG
dileTTante

Postby Arseny » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:54 am

dileTTante wrote:I could isolate some tracks in the yard for DC but I'm sure that would produce human error and feed DC into DCC locos by mistake.

Will it really cause any troubles? As I know, most of the DCC (digital) locos can run on the DC (analog) tracks; they will just work as analog locos, without any digital facilities (such as sounds, etc.)
Do American decoders work another way?

The trouble will appear only if you put DC loco (analog, without decoder) on the DCC-powered rails.
Arseny

Postby Marquette » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:21 am

And I only just realised I didn't think to get any photos of my stuff.

The front half of Bill's layout, with the red brick buildings and flat, flat farmland, was a perfect setting for my 218 with two Silberlings... totally looked right as a train 'somewhere in Schleswig-Holstein'.

Finally getting to run my 103 was pretty awesome, too... that's been my favourite locomotive in the world since 1986 or so and I've wanted a model ever since.

Was good to see folks, too, even if I was generally underwhelmed by the show and not really into things.
http://espeett.blogspot.com - The SP in 1:120 - my attempt at a blog
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion