Walthers Selling TT scale

Re: Walthers Selling TT scale

Postby Bill Dixon » Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:20 am

Richard-B wrote:
Tom Dempsey wrote:Typical Walthers, list everything, stock nothing until a sufficient number of backorders have been logged to make it "worthwhile" to order anything.
Exactly!
I've heard this from smaller suppliers who expected the orders to start flowing once they were listed...
only to find Walthers will order no part 'before its time..' (THEIR time), and will happily show out-of-stock or back-ordered even when the manufacturer has a pile of un-sold inventory.

Walther's has been in business a long time. They have gotten very good at judging what to stock. If they show it out of stock but the manufacturer has stock, then Walther's has not received an order for that part for a while so does not stock it. I you order that item from Walther's it will trigger an order to the manufacturer and you will get your item.
I have ordered and received several TT-Scale items from Walther's.
It helps if the store you deal with orders regularly and by regularly, I mean at least weekly. The store I work at orders several times a week. We have no problems getting product.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby railtwister » Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:32 am

After a career in the hobby business starting in the mid seventies, I quickly learned that Walthers should only be a source of last resort because their policy of not stocking items until they have sufficient back orders, selling at a high price, then skimming off all of their profit margin and then adding high shipping costs is not really providing any real value to the customer (wholesale or retail). Minimal service for maximum profit. This is especially true now that they have applied that concept to their website by crippling most of any useful functionality, and then charging an annual fee ($37.95) for access to that same functionality which was free up to a month ago. The full function website fee must be paid even by dealers who place regular weekly orders. They have also been known to "beat up" small manufacturers for better discounts and even considered charging them an added fee for the privilege of having their products shown in the Walthers catalogs. If they could, I'm sure they would love to figure out a way of charging to use their website every time you visit. As wholesale distributors, they are well known for short discounts and no freight allowance.

Bill in FtL
railtwister

Postby Bill Dixon » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:36 pm

railtwister wrote: As wholesale distributors, they are well known for short discounts and no freight allowance.
Bill in FtL

Strange, we get full freight allowance on all our shipments.
Discounts, depending on manufacturer, range from 20% to 50%.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Previous

Return to General Discussion