voyttek's layout

Re: voyttek's layout

Postby j p » Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:37 pm

Voyttek, if those are 2 single lines then the point about the turnouts is even more relevant. It is simply close to impossible on a real railroad, it would violate the safety principles.
I'll try to make a suggestion how to correct it, others could perhaps help too?
The rest of the layout looks excellent. Let us help Voyttek to make the station excellent too!

Left side
left.jpg
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
j p

Postby LVG1 » Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:50 pm

voyttek wrote:First to clarify that what appears to look like a "double-track" line, in my application, it is a pair of single tracks running across the same bridges.

Yes, I already supposed that.
It doesn't change the point that placing the connections between the through tracks outside the first turnouts of the station would improve operability and prototypicality of your layout.
At the prototype (and also at the model), it would be very unfunctional if you can't reach all tracks (except for pure switch tracks) from each through track.
"Let's eat, grandpa."
Punctuation marks save lives!
LVG1

Postby voyttek » Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:24 pm

Thanks JP,
I tried to place the turnouts following your suggestion; it sure would work better and it looks more realistic but unfortunately platform # 3 would be limited to only 25cm.
This would work great in my place if I only had more space....

Trying to solve this problem I came up with a compromise solution shown on picture # 2.
Please let me know if this is more realistic, or may be there could be some other idea.

I still could rearrange the design of the main station and sure appreciate your input.
Attachments
IMG_3506.jpg
This would eliminate platform #3 and reduce the length of track for cargo trains
IMG_3509.jpg
Locating the first turnout at the mouth of the bridge
allows to extend the track for the cargo trains
voyttek

Postby j p » Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:12 am

voyttek wrote:Thanks JP,
I tried to place the turnouts following your suggestion; it sure would work better and it looks more realistic but unfortunately platform # 3 would be limited to only 25cm.
This would work great in my place if I only had more space....

Trying to solve this problem I came up with a compromise solution shown on picture # 2.
Please let me know if this is more realistic, or may be there could be some other idea.

I still could rearrange the design of the main station and sure appreciate your input.

Wait, I will come with a suggestion for the right side too. You can get the platform much longer.
The freight trains from the 2nd line need access to the freight track too, so the solution from picture #2 would not help much.
It does not remove the conflict of the 2 lines either. Each line needs its own track in the station, you should try not to make both of them going into the same station track.
j p

Postby j p » Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:14 pm

Here is the right side in 2 versions. I don't know how much space you have on the bridge.

1st version, with significantly longer station tracks
right_v1.jpg

2nd version gives you 32 cm longer station tracks than the 1st version but it requires the first 4 turnouts on the bridge.
right_v2.jpg

Edit: you can do the same trick on the left side too if you have enough space on the bridge.
left_v2.jpg
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.
j p

Postby MacG » Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:18 pm

Change this turnout to a right and lay a radius to the bridge. No more changes are necessary at teh left side.
Attachments
IMG_3509.jpg
Lok-n-Roll.de - we are shipping worldwide :wink:
MacG

Postby LVG1 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:24 pm

I'm not sure if that's what MacG meant. But a good improvement for your north side entrance is quite simple.

Use a double-slip switch and remove the connection inside the station.
Attachments
IMG_3411_changed.jpg
alternative north side entrace
"Let's eat, grandpa."
LVG1

Postby j p » Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:10 pm

LVG1 wrote:I'm not sure if that's what MacG meant. But a good improvement for your north side entrance is quite simple.

Use a double-slip switch and remove the connection inside the station.

That does not solve the conflict of the 2 lines. They still both end on the same station track with your suggestion.
(marked by ellipse)
1.jpg

They have to end at their respective tracks. (I am not good in freestyle drawing by mouse, hopefully you'd get the message)
2.jpg
j p

Postby LVG1 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:40 pm

j p wrote:..., hopefully you'd get the message)

No, unfortunately I have no idea what you're aiming to achieve with your suggestion.

Of course, the eastern through track needs a connection to the western station tracks, too. But that's what you eliminated in your last picture...
"Let's eat, grandpa."
LVG1

Postby j p » Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:19 pm

LVG1 wrote:
j p wrote:..., hopefully you'd get the message)

No, unfortunately I have no idea what you're aiming to achieve with your suggestion.

Of course, the eastern through track needs a connection to the western station tracks, too. But that's what you eliminated in your last picture...

Those are 2 lines.
My suggestion which eliminates all the problems is above your post :)

OK. Drawing does not help, I can try to explain the problem with your suggestion in writing:
Lower line is OK, a train moving on the lower line towards the station when having all turnouts in their default position can run at line speed and ends up on the 2nd station track (from the bottom). That is the main station track for the lower line.
Upper line is not OK. a train moving on the upper line towards the station when having all turnouts in their default position cannot run because its way goes also onto the same track - the 2nd track from the bottom and it would encounter a turnout in a wrong position - there where I marked it with ellipse. That turnout would have to be switched to the curve and, therefore, this train cannot enter the station at track speed (that is rare, but can be found the on real railroads as a result of layout error or incomplete reconstruction)
Furthermore, this train would end up on the lower line's main station track. E.g. the upper line has no main station track, which is wrong.
To fix this, the upper line has to end on the 3rd station track and the train from the upper line has to be able to reach this 3rd station track at track speed - e.g. through all turnouts at straight. This is ensured on my all 4 suggestions (see pictures from Scarm)
j p

PreviousNext

Return to Layouts / Track Plans