voyttek's layout

Re: voyttek's layout

Postby voyttek » Sun May 18, 2014 2:10 pm

A rainy day today - a great excuse to work on my layout.
In order to have a better access to the back of my layout I removed the part where the future station and the roundhouse will be located. That allows me to easily reach the track to install the catenary.

I prepared two wires, one around 167 cm long which covers most of the straight track and the other 150 cm long to cover bridges and partially the curved track.
I measured distances between the poles on the center of the track, between two rails (important along the curve), then transferred this measurement onto a wooden board. I pinpointed the highs and lows of the upper wire with the push pins in order to stretch wires around them and solder together. This process allowed for a better depiction of the profile in order to achieve realistically looking catenary.
In my design, I used thinner wire - 0.4mm, for the vertical connections between main wires, for which I use 0,5 mm.
Attachments
P1130939.jpg
My layout with center portion removed
P1130933.jpg
Catenary flattened under the roof of the bridge due to a limited height
P1130942.jpg
Isolator on the entrance to the tunnel, where a lower wire is soldered to the rail
voyttek

Postby Juup » Tue May 20, 2014 8:08 am

Your rapid progress, all the while maintaining such a high standard continues to impress!! The catenary looks great, as does the surrounding scenery. Very motivating!! Juup
Juup

Postby ConducTTor » Tue May 20, 2014 2:44 pm

I'm still shocked at the speed of your progress.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby voyttek » Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:27 am

Over the last couple of weeks I spent my evenings working on the lower and main level station laying tracks .
I took jp's advice and now all main tracks on both levels have EW2 and EW3 turnouts. They will be control by "Conrad"
with polarization.
The rest of the main station, shunting and around the round house I will use EW1 with remote lever style mechanical turnout control .
Attachments
IMG_3419.jpg
general view of both levels
IMG_3411.jpg
north side entrance to the main station
IMG_3412.jpg
south side
IMG_3414.jpg
first train running on a finished portion of the track
voyttek

Postby ConducTTor » Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:05 pm

Wooooow. It's starting to look like something!
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Juup » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:14 pm

Lots of station track. Should be fun to operate. And you have some pretty unique buildings as well:)

Using Tapatalk 2
Juup

Postby LVG1 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:52 pm

It looks good.
...at the first glance.

Looking closer, your trackplan is rather disadvantageous.

Connections between the through tracks in your main station:

In Europe, on double-track lines there's usually only one track used for each direction—also on the through tracks inside stations.
So you won't need the connections between those tracks for reaching the opposite through track, but for reaching all other tracks! Therefor these connections will have to be outside the first turnouts of the station. You placed them inside. This will restrain the operability of your layout and is anything but prototypical.

The north side entrance of your main station:

Leading a line over the deflective way of a turnout clearly restricts the top speed. That's why through tracks in Europe extremely seldom use the bended ways of turnouts.
Your solution is possible but you'll have to consider that when choosing the signals you use. You'll need signals allowing only for a limited top speed also on your northbound through track. That's a really rare situation at the prototype.

By the way:
What kind of signals do you plan to use on your layout?
If you want to use semaphore signals, you can take German style ones offered by some manufacturers because they have been used also in most part of Poland.
If you prefer light signals, you'll have to scratchbuild them.
"Let's eat, grandpa."
Punctuation marks save lives!
LVG1

Postby j p » Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:48 pm

LVG1 wrote:It looks good.
...at the first glance.

Looking closer, your trackplan is rather disadvantageous.

The north side entrance of your main station:

Leading a line over the deflective way of a turnout clearly restricts the top speed. That's why through tracks in Europe extremely seldom use the bended ways of turnouts.
Your solution is possible but you'll have to consider that when choosing the signals you use. You'll need signals allowing only for a limited top speed also on your northbound through track. That's a really rare situation at the prototype.

I see the same problem on both entrances to the station :doh:
Some extra station track length can be gained by using "English" cross turnouts or "Baesseler". Both types should be OK for PKP.
One very nice layout from Slovakia for inspiration is here:
http://www.ttmodelar.eu/index.php?route=information/information&information_id=15
http://www.ttmodelar.eu/index.php?route=information/information&information_id=14
j p

Postby Juup » Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:13 am

Hi Voyttek,

Have you glued or nailed the track yet? If yes then it makes less sense for us to make suggestions. If you are still able to move track around then you can expect a barrage of suggestions :) In my experience, the suggestions can all make your head spin but can improve things. Of course in the end your track plan is your track plan!!

Juup

Using Tapatalk 2
Juup

Postby voyttek » Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:20 pm

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions. I am still in the process of figuring things out and trying different options.
First to clarify that what appears to look like a "double-track" line, in my application, it is a pair of single tracks running across the same bridges. I did that in order to set up only one loop for electric locomotives. To accomplish this the engine has to change tracks to stay under wire.

As for signalization I did not decide yet if I am to use arm semaphores or light signals. Figuring this out I just ordered and received a signal kit made by Viessmann to assembly so I will see how I like it. I will make my decision sometime in the fall.

I welcome your suggestions and as I already fixed some things I can still move some around to improve my layout.
I enjoy the process so changing things is fun and not a burden for me. Thank you for your input.

"Yuup" commented on my buildings. Thank you.
Most are based on buildings I photographed during my travels, but then I used them as an inspiration only and took some liberty to modify them based on my needs.

Looking forward to your comments,
Thanks
Attachments
IMG_3504.jpg
Main station platform - where the control panel will be installed
Lower level shows access openings for a Depot
IMG_3505.jpg
On the top level Indentation cut for a "dead end" track
voyttek

PreviousNext

Return to Layouts / Track Plans