voyttek's layout

Re: voyttek's layout

Postby voyttek » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:47 pm

After having examined all my options I decided to build my refueling station from scratch.
On the last train show in Vancouver I bought a damaged Vero 2/27 gas station and I used
the distributor from this kit. I also bought an old HO Roco cargo car with 3 tank and I used 2 of them in the project.
Chain link fence is done from the screen of a broken juicer. 18 gauge solid door bell wire supplied material for my pipes.
The building itself I made from an older, damaged brick structure. Everything recycled!

Over the last few days (and nights) I have been busy working on the south side of my station.
Please, guys, do NOT suggest I have to change my design to have direct access to all my tracks. I know... I know....
Wait to see my north side; I followed your advice and changed it there. Barely survived this experience!
Attachments
IMG_8586.jpg
IMG_8587.jpg
IMG_8589.jpg
IMG_8590.jpg
voyttek

Postby j p » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:05 pm

It looks very good.
The path on the 2nd picture would be on the real railroad next to the track, not next to the wall. Railway people tend to walk that way, some of them while working - checking the track, for the rest it is a custom. This is only a very tiny detail, don't worry about it.
I have a question about the buildings: what is the use of two signal towers at the same end of the station? Do you plan to move one of them to the other end?
j p

Postby Juup » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:18 pm

Agreed. This continues to look great. Really nice detailing!!

Did you finish your electrics?

Juup
Juup

Postby MacG » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:21 pm

That looks great. But I'm wondering about the three interlocking buildings at your station. Seen at the last picture.
MacG

Postby voyttek » Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:42 am

I have been working for sometime now on the turnouts, specifically on the electrical connections. It does NOT work for me very well.
My biggest problem is with the double-slip turnouts. I bought Conrad servos to use for that, but they don't seem to have enough power to move blades to proper position in order to make the connection and redirect train to the selected track.
Has anybody encountered this problem? Any solution? Should I change Conrad servo for a stronger one? Any suggestion?
I also have problem with electrical contact on regular turnouts. Most times they work, but sometimes (appears for no reason) they loose contacts.
In some cases I replaced spring wire for a stiffer one and that mostly helped. I cleaned turnouts with the contact cleaner yet the problem still exists .
I need help - any suggestion?
voyttek

Postby j p » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:16 am

I don't know about the double slip. It could be a mechanical problem. Some edges may need filing.
For the regular turnouts, there is not any contact if you assembled and connected them correctly.
Point rails should have a permanent connection to the stock rails.
See more detailed explanation and pictures at tillig-turnout-kits-guide-t1643.html
j p

Postby CN-TT » Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:59 am

voyttek, can you post a few pictures of the mechanical parts from the servo to the turnouts!? The servo should be strong enough if the points move freely when not connected to a motor. The point moving part (I don't know the name for this!?) should be parallel to the sleepers left and right. This is what caused me some trouble.
PICT0282A.JPG

In the current state of your layout it is probably too late for jp's solution but "the Point rails should have a permanent (soldered) connection to the stock rails". I believe you can still solder a tiny cable to the "trouble makers"
You gotta do much more than believe if you really wanna change things!

"The GuiTTar Case" Gallery
"The GuiTTar Case" YouTube
CN-TT

Postby Juup » Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:54 am

Hi Voytek. Agree with others that you need a permanent connection BTW point and stock rails. I learned this from JP :) Here is my interpretation.

But yes your track is already laid ... I say thin wire as CN-TT suggests and a fine pointed solder iron :)

Don't have experience with servos.

Juup
Juup

Postby CSD » Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:53 am

I had some trouble with item 83300 (old style double crossover). It was not very well made. My solution was to replace it with the "Baesler" style (item 83391). As for the metal tabs that tillig supplies, I opted to solder wire on as these connections are not very reliable.
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby gerhard_k » Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:00 pm

CSD wrote:I had some trouble with item 83300 (old style double crossover). My solution was to replace it with the "Baesler" style (item 83391).

Not to "pile on" with a correction undoubtedly previously made, but just to minimize confusion: the (at least) American usage is that this is a "double slip switch", e.g. http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/948-8814 . A "double crossover" consists of two parallel tracks connected by 4 turnouts and a crossing, e.g. http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/948-8812 - also known in German as a "Hosenträger", although the translation "suspenders" has not become popular in America :lol: :lol:
Sometimes you win... sometimes you learn.
gerhard_k

PreviousNext

Return to Layouts / Track Plans