voyttek's layout

Re: voyttek's layout

Postby ConducTTor » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:20 am

Starting to look really good :thumbup:

Looks like you're using Tillig track so I would check Euro Train Hobby and see if they have what you need in stock (this will save you $$$ on shipping from Europe). If they don't, I suggest http://www.modellbahnshop-lippe.com/ or http://www.modellbahnwelt24.de/
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Juup » Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:40 am

Hi voyttek (and JP),

Fantastic progress ... put's my own very gradual progress to shame. Love the background. I must invite an artist friend over myself sometime :)

JP, the double crossover with EW2 must be bashed together manually, right? I understand Tillig turnouts to be somewhat peculiar. EW2 is a 15 degree turnout but with a frog-angle of roughly 12 degrees. To get the tracks connected by the crossover as close to each other as in your photo you need to work with the 12 degree frog angles I think. It is easy to cut away the curved pieces on EW2 beyond the 12 degree frog. However, this means the standard Tillig 30 degree crossover piece won't work, right? So, do you build the central double cross over piece from scratch?

Juup
Juup

Postby j p » Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:50 am

Juup wrote:Hi voyttek (and JP),

Fantastic progress ... put's my own very gradual progress to shame. Love the background. I must invite an artist friend over myself sometime :)

JP, the double crossover with EW2 must be bashed together manually, right? I understand Tillig turnouts to be somewhat peculiar. EW2 is a 15 degree turnout but with a frog-angle of roughly 12 degrees. To get the tracks connected by the crossover as close to each other as in your photo you need to work with the 12 degree frog angles I think. It is easy to cut away the curved pieces on EW2 beyond the 12 degree frog. However, this means the standard Tillig 30 degree crossover piece won't work, right? So, do you build the central double cross over piece from scratch?

Juup

You have to build the central doble crossover piece. Tillig's 30 degree crossover would not fit if you want to keep the 'normal' distance between the main tracks.
j p

Postby gerhard_k » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:15 am

j p wrote:
Juup wrote:Hi voyttek (and JP),

Juup

You have to build the central double crossover piece. Tillig's 30 degree crossover would not fit if you want to keep the 'normal' distance between the main tracks.

They say America and England are separated by a common language...

In the US, the accepted terminology is "crossing" for the X-shaped centerpiece of a (single or double) "crossover", which is a track arrangement allowing a switch-over between 2 parallel tracks (such as the 4-turnouts [track switches]-and-a-crossing shown by j_p). Calling just the central X-shaped track element a "crossover", especially in the absence of an illustration, will result in mass confusion on the US side of the Atlantic. So the 30-degree Tillig device shown is a Crossing in the US.

Just trying to help, he said...

- Gerhard
Sometimes you win... sometimes you learn.
gerhard_k

Postby Juup » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:34 pm

[/quote] They say America and England are separated by a common language... [/quote]

Yes, have heard the saying, but in this case best not to blame the 'common language'. Checking some British authored books, seems like they call it a crossing as well. Blame me ... I'm Dutch/Norwegian and frequently make things up when speaking/writing in English :lol:

Juup
Juup

Postby voyttek » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:40 pm

Thank you all for your comments, encouragements and suggestions. My progress report is due and I have some questions as well.
Finally I made my decision and ordered track and switches.
I also decided to order "do it yourself from Kit " switches and tracks,
to have greater flexibility in my design and maybe save same money.
Now will be time to do more work on landscaping, as I think the parcel will take about three weeks to arrive.

I am planning to designate one of the outside loops and three tracks on the station for an electric traction, so I need to install poles for the catenary.
I don't have any experience doing this, but by just checking on the internet I found few companies like PSK, (very good price for masts), Hobbex - also not a bad price, Sommerfeldt and Viessmann; their product and selection looking very good, but a bit more pricey.
It Is hard to decide what would be best for the money, judging just by the pictures, as I have never seen any of it in real life.
Any suggestions, or may be somebody has abandoned a project and have same for sale ?
voyttek

Postby voyttek » Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:52 pm

While waiting for tracks to arrive I decided to advance some work on scenery.
I built cork roadbed for tracks outside the main station.
I have been also experimenting with making different style trees and shrubs. Some based on spent miniature dried flowers, some based on skewers, some on twisted wires and then finished with Woodland Scenic selection of foliage.
I also worked on applying the ballast to some portions of the track and painted some rails.

Initially I wanted to assembly a two level layout, with a helix to ascend by about 2 feet.
I bought curved tracks to accomplish this.
Now, that I decided to run the track more less on one level, where the staging yard is just about 4 " below my main track,
I put the remaining curved track on e-bay - no more helix.
Worked more to finish my little pond and the forest at the back.
Attachments
IMG_2070.jpg
A little pond in the corner
IMG_2072.jpg
Stems of dried Pellargoniums used as tree trunks
IMG_2073.jpg
An Oak tree made from wires
IMG_2077.jpg
A tunnel portal, showing upside-down rail, prepared for a future electric traction
IMG_2090.jpg
The lower track leads to my staging yard
voyttek

Postby Rob M » Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:38 pm

Beautiful work!
Rob M

Postby ctxmf74 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:00 pm

The scenery is looking great. How will you access the staging that's only 4 inches below the other tracks ? ....DaveB
ctxmf74

Postby voyttek » Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:30 am

This yard will be composed of four parallel tracks, accessible to trains from both sides of my layout.
I will have only limited access to these trains from the front and partially from the top, but I will be able to see all of them from my control station /sofa/.
On the yard, there will be one main track plus three storage tracks, each app. 9' long,
The longest platform on the main level station is going to be app.5', to allow the longest of my passenger trains to fit comfortably there and also on my storage yard.

There is a separate, designated area on my layout, that I will use to form and assemble my trains. What I called in my description "the staging yard" will mainly serve to bring forward already formed trains and store them, while other trains will be running.
Attachments
IMG_2103.jpg
Showing entrance to the yard from the window side of the layout
IMG_2106.jpg
Same as above
IMG_2111.jpg
The place for future yard
IMG_2116.jpg
Portion of the yard will have access from the top, along the retaining wall
IMG_2109.jpg
Exit to rejoin the main tracks on the layout
voyttek