Vintage Spanish Steam

Post your photos and video links here

Vintage Spanish Steam

Postby 2-4-0 RENFES » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:15 pm

Old Film of Spanish Steam at 60s, usually Filmed by Amateur UK Fans in Super 8mm and 16mm, when Spain was a Living Steam Museum.
Today I still remember that Images and Sounds from my Chilhood :( What Times!

I hope you enjoy :thumbup:
2-4-0 RENFES

Re: Vintage Spanish Steam

Postby TTTerrific » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:17 am

Wow!!! :P

What memories Vintage Spanish Steam brought back me! I was tramping around southern Europe in the fall of 1968. I had a three month Eurail pass and made the most of it. I took a nightrain, the "Lusatania Express," from Barcelona to Madrid. In the huge Barcelona station I nearly fell out of the train standning in the shed when a few tracks over I spied a big 4-8-0 backing in to hitch onto a passenger train. I hadn't seen an active steamer in revenue service since I was ten years old in 1956 when the Southern Pacific was still in steam.

I was even more surprised when my train left the station moving off after the locomotive engineered "whistled off" from the station. I stayed awake until nearly 1 a.m. listening to a very melodic American-style steam whistle as the express beat it across the Spanish interior towards Madrid. The loco cut off the train and backed into a siding to fuel up. I got a long good look at a 2-8-2 as big and good-looking as any back in the states. The fireman spotted me at the open doorway at the end of the coach and waved. Some sort of diesel contraption hauled the train into Madrid. This was the first and only time I rode a passenger train hauled by steam.

I left Madrid few days later on the Spanish lightweight Talgo train headed to Lisbon, Portugal. On the way I glimpsed a large Beyer-Garrat under steam on a nearby siding. Later, when the train was in Portugal is espied a "dead line" of fifty or so old, very old, Portugese steamers. Some of these small locos clearly were built in the 19th century.

Unfortunately, I didn't have a camera, and was frankly, more interested in young ladies than steam locomotives--but the memories are still vivid.
TTTerrific

Re: Vintage Spanish Steam

Postby ConducTTor » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:47 am

@ TTTerrific - That's so cool. I got excited reading the above. Some people just know how to tell a story :thumbup:
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Return to Photos / Videos