Canadian steamers from German models...

Marquette

Canadian steamers from German models...

Post by Marquette »

So lately I've spent a trainload of time on comparing Canadian Pacific steam locomotives against German ones, to see if any of the German chassis could be used as a basis for modelling a CP engine (I'll be tackling CN later, once I'm done looking at the CP machines). Unsurprisingly, there aren't too many, but I've found a couple so far that could be candidates...

Firstly, class R3a, R3b, and R3c compared to a BR 50. To my eye, this is a very good match in terms of wheel diameters, axle spacing, etc; I think a very convincing model could be built like this. The one big question: where is the motor in the BR50 model? So long as it's not in the tender, we've got a way to model an engine that was seen all around BC...

---

The V4a from BR81 is a less convincing pairing due to the difference in wheel diameter and wheelbase, and at first, comparing only the numbers, I wasn't sure if it was even worth comparing drawings. But I'm glad I did, because like this, seeing the outlines directly compared to each other, for some reason it's hinting to me that despite the discrepancies, it *could* be done, with a little adjustment of the dimensions of the V4a... so you maybe could get a model that feels like it looks right, even if the numbers say otherwise... curious, what do yous all think?
Attachments
r3abc.png
CP V4a BR81.png
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
http://espeett.blogspot.com/

ConducTTor
Site Admin

Re: Canadian steamers from German models...

Post by ConducTTor »

The first (BR 50) is obviously a better match. Still a LOT of work though. But, if you do it, it will be glorious.
My website: https://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.

TheKnighTT

Post by TheKnighTT »

Michael from Art&Detail is also working on a conversion kit for a Tillig BR56 into a NA prototype. I asked him about a CP style cab and he was willing to do it.

Tillig's BR50 has tender drive, but so has the BR38. The BR38 also comes with a longer wheel base tender, I'll try to find the measures. My resident Canadian was thinking g of using German tenders on his Canadian locomotives.

MacG

Post by MacG »

The BR 50 really fits very well. You just have to build a long tender including drive. Enough space should be available.

I have something similar in mind with the BR 38. The construction of a 4-4-2 Atlantic is planned. I hope the longer version of a BR 38 tender will be quite close to the American prototype.
Lok-n-Roll.de - we send worldwide :wink:

dileTTante

Post by dileTTante »

BR38 from Beckmann has drive in locomotive, decoder in tender. At least my older one does. It's not the same version of BR38 as Tillig's (Saxon 38 vs Prussian P8)
- Terry C
Attachments
BR38-318-3.jpg
TT-Tillig-Dampflok-BR-38-DR-Ep-III-17-02020_b_0.jpeg

Marquette

Post by Marquette »

MacG wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:40 am
The BR 50 really fits very well. You just have to build a long tender including drive. Enough space should be available.
How would you tackle powering the wheels of what are essentially freight car trucks?

Marquette

Post by Marquette »

Or maybe I don't know what I'm talking about... is the motor powering the tender wheels, or is there a drive shaft to the drivers on the locomotive?

dileTTante

Post by dileTTante »

Tillig's BR50 has all four wheels for the tender driven by a motor in the tender. The locomotive drivers are free rolling. Mine is an older model but I think the latest models are much the same.

Drivers = 10.37 mm / 0.41 in. diameter
Tender wheels = 8 mm / 0.62 in. diameter
Wheel base of each tender truck is 15.7 mm / 0.62 in.
Distance between truck centres is approx. 3.9 mm / 1.25 in

- Terry C

Bigelov

Post by Bigelov »

That's great finding a 'donor' chassis. In N scale sometimes they put the motor is in the tender, but drives the loco wheels via a shaft. I am not sure if locos are manufactured like that, or modified/kits etc. This obviously isn't like that though.

The bogies would be driven like any four axle diesel wit a gear tower. It looks like the tender bogie wheelbase is very similar between the R3* and the BR50, so it would be a matter of working out a suitable bogie sideframe and lengthening the distance between bogies with a longer drive shaft.
Steve B
Russia in Narrow Gauge
Bigelov's Flickr Account

Marquette

Post by Marquette »

Bigelov wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:30 am
The bogies would be driven like any four axle diesel wit a gear tower. It looks like the tender bogie wheelbase is very similar between the R3* and the BR50, so it would be a matter of working out a suitable bogie sideframe and lengthening the distance between bogies with a longer drive shaft.
Good observation - it didn't even occur to me to look at that. The truck wheelbase does look close enough to make no never mind, if beneath a tender of proper length and with suitable sideframes.

Incidentally: the BR50 and the BR52 use the same chassis, yes? Being able to use a 52 with black wheels would boost my confidence in tackling the project eventually...

Return to “Prototypes / Models”