LnR GP9 Chassis help!

areibel

LnR GP9 Chassis help!

Post by areibel »

OK, I'll admit it- this thing is driving me crazy! LOL!
I broke one of the pick up wires from one of the trucks and thought it would be easier if I took it apart to solder it- I was wrong!
I've had one apart before and don't remember it being that hard, but I can't get the drive shafts lined up AND get the wiring back into the channels AND get the trucks in. I've literally tried it 20 times tonight and I had to put it down for a while. For anyone who has done it-
Can you glue the wires for the trucks into the channels to hold them in place?
I've tried a little petroleum jelly inside the cups for the drive shafts, that seems to help but still I manage to pull them out while moving the wires when I add the trucks.
Is it better if it's on it's side or turned upside down?
This is one of the newer ones with the PC board connections on to that the wiring runs to, anyone have any suggestions?
Maybe a good night's sleep will help ( or a beer or two?)
Al

TheKnighTT

Re: LnR GP9 Chassis help!

Post by TheKnighTT »

I had the same problem. But there was some grey gluey stuff within the channels to hold the wiring in place, like Play-Doh. Try to find something to fix the wiring into the channels and then it's only hard to do and not impossible anymore
I'm not gonna take my model apart to take a photo to show you :)

RodTT

Post by RodTT »

With mine, I plucked up the courage to open the chassis so I could cut the capacitor off to make it DCC compatible. It did take me a while to get everything back together what with the cardans falling out and the trucks and wires proving tricky to get back into place. Unfortunately I don't remember how I did it, I think it was just patience but I do recall finding a light smearing of some guey stuff already there, maybe lubricating grease, which helped to hold the wires in their grooves.
Maybe I temporarily grew another hand.

MacG

Post by MacG »

I have also only reassembled it once so far. It's fiddly, but eventually, it worked. Some Blu Tack could be really helpful for the wires. I didn't get this idea at the time. Be patient!
Lok-n-Roll.de - we send worldwide :wink:

areibel

Post by areibel »

Thanks guys!
I'll keep trying. I do have to give Mike and Sylvie a lot of credit, if it was my job to put these all together I think I would change careers!

MacG

Post by MacG »

The credit for the assembling goes only to Mike and perhaps his father. Possibly it could have been constructed even simpler. But it is what it is, even with the other GP models.

areibel

Post by areibel »

Tell Mike Thanks! They might be a little difficult to get together for an old guy with shaky hands and bad eyes, but even my original one still runs smoothly down the track.

MacG

Post by MacG »

I'll do that!

It's just difficult. I don't have shaky hands yet, but I also had problems with the assembly.

areibel

Post by areibel »

It's alive!
I used a little ACC to hold the wires in the channels. I got the shaft lined up into the motor and truck on one end and cut a thin strip of black tape to hold it to one half of the chassis while I lined up the other end- it went right back together.
Now if I can get the bodies finished up!

MacG

Post by MacG »

Congrats! :dance: And thank you for the description of the process.

Return to “Builders' Corner”