Zeuke-TT, what's new?

MacG

Re: Zeuke-TT, what's new?

Post by MacG » Mon Dec 26, 2022 11:23 am

Going by the publications in German railroad magazines and the use in Train Simulator, the following old railroad companies should be very well known to those interested. (in alphabetical order)

Baltimore and Ohio
Canadian National
Canadian Pacific
Chessie System
Denver and Rio Grande Western
Milwaukee Road
New York Central
Norfolk and Western
Santa Fe
Southern Pacific
Union Pacific
Western Pacific

To give newcomers the assurance that they can later buy a locomotive to go with the freight cars, this should also be advertised in advance. Perhaps directly on the packaging. Otherwise, it might be difficult to generate sales if the cars are sold before the locomotive.
Lok-n-Roll.de - we send worldwide :wink:

Marquette

Post by Marquette » Mon Dec 26, 2022 1:45 pm

MacG wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 11:23 amOtherwise, it might be difficult to generate sales if the cars are sold before the locomotive.
If I could have three wishes regarding NorAm TT (actually NorAm modelling in general), one would be that people understood that the vast majority of boxcars could go anywhere on the continent and that for the most part you wouldn't see a train made up mostly of your own railway's boxcars (exceptions exist of course, but those are pretty specific)... that if you're modelling 1968 you can use (almost) any boxcar that existed in 1968.
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
http://espeett.blogspot.com/

MacG

Post by MacG » Mon Dec 26, 2022 2:10 pm

I agree with that 100%.

My point in general is, why would a newcomer buy freight cars if there is no locomotive to purchase at that time?
Lok-n-Roll.de - we send worldwide :wink:

dileTTante

Post by dileTTante » Mon Dec 26, 2022 3:27 pm

MacG wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 2:10 pmMy point in general is, why would a newcomer buy freight cars if there is no locomotive to purchase at that time?
For N American modelers the question is also greater: Why would *anyone* buy TT freight cars or passenger coaches (also non-existent) if no locomotive is available?

During the last ten years at train shows we have been unable to answer that question - with the exception of the brief time when the SW1200 was available.

-Terry C

rdikken

Post by rdikken » Tue Dec 27, 2022 7:27 am

Hi guys,
Thank you for all the reactions. There will be some loose ends. At this moment I can't prevend that. Take for aan example GN, we are planning to create the 50ft GN PS-1 box cars with the red door. They are from 1972 and I do not have a clue if GN still has a F7 running in 1972. Also CN is perhaps a question mark, I do not have CN boxcars, only GTW box cars. Perhaps that will do, but on my list is also an GTW F7.

The other railroad companies are less a problem, ( if there is a problem??). UP and SSW box cars can run with SP and SSW locomotives, P&E with NYC, CNW, RI, BM and PRR will have their own. But I am going now in much more detail and the planning is still too unsure. And remember we will produce perhaps max 5 car numbers, SSW, and a F7 ABBA combination will pull 50 a 100 box cars.
Ciao,
Rob

j p

Post by j p » Tue Dec 27, 2022 7:30 am

dileTTante wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 3:27 pm For N American modelers the question is also greater: Why would *anyone* buy TT freight cars or passenger coaches (also non-existent) if no locomotive is available?

During the last ten years at train shows we have been unable to answer that question - with the exception of the brief time when the SW1200 was available.

-Terry C
Where did you get that about "non-existent" passenger coaches from? Please visit "TT scale models" section of this board. I am sure you'd find some in there! The choice is not as wide as in HO or N scale, but it is possible to make at least 5 or 6 different trains, each of them with different types of coaches.

- Jan

j p

Post by j p » Tue Dec 27, 2022 7:38 am

rdikken wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 7:27 am Hi guys,
Thank you for all the reactions. There will be some loose ends. At this moment I can't prevend that. Take for aan example GN, we are planning to create the 50ft GN PS-1 box cars with the red door. They are from 1972 and I do not have a clue if GN still has a F7 running in 1972. Also CN is perhaps a question mark, I do not have CN boxcars, only GTW box cars. Perhaps that will do, but on my list is also an GTW F7.

The other railroad companies are less a problem, ( if there is a problem??). UP and SSW box cars can run with SP and SSW locomotives, P&E with NYC, CNW, RI, BM and PRR will have their own. But I am going now in much more detail and the planning is still too unsure. And remember we will produce perhaps max 5 car numbers, SSW, and a F7 ABBA combination will pull 50 a 100 box cars.
Ciao,
Rob
Hi Rob
The boxcars were and are running all around North America. They do not need to match the locomotive. Only the caboose should match. I have seen a picture of a WIF boxcar taken in Chicago!
Another point is that you are not starting a new scale from the scratch. There are models manufactured by others which can complement your models.
Jan

RodTT

Post by RodTT » Tue Dec 27, 2022 8:39 am

I read in a Model Railroader once that at any one time, up to 50 per cent of boxcars at a given location were from 'foreign' railroad companies. So if you try and stick to 'home' cars, you're being unrealistic.

rdikken

Post by rdikken » Tue Dec 27, 2022 9:54 am

@Marquette, @JP, @RodTT
Thxs, that is all true. The problem is the customer, he is expecting a bit the same cars as the locomotive, because he is collecting everything from SP, GN or UP. I have to do more educational advertising. Caboose will come later.
Ciao,
Rob

Marquette

Post by Marquette » Tue Dec 27, 2022 12:10 pm

rdikken wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 7:27 am Hi guys,

Ciao,
Rob
I remember seeing a few GN boxcars when I was a kid in the 1980s - and GN disappeared in 1970 when it merged with NP and CB&Q to create Burlington Northern (BN); BN had some F7s in service to around 1981 or so.

GTW has always belonged to CN, so yes you could see their cars (also CV and DW&P) together....

...but the most important thing you should tell the modellers is that only time period matters, *not* the railway - any boxcar can fit in any train. I've seen boxcars from Mexico and literally all over the US here in Vancouver. And it's better for you, the manufacturer, too, if the customer understands this, as you'll sell more!

And boxcars from the 50s and 60s were still around in the 80s when I was a kid... so yeah, I think it's in your interest as well to help people understand this, that it is extremely inaccurate for an American train to be of all (or even mostly) the same railway's equipment. (Canada is a somewhat different story.)
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
http://espeett.blogspot.com/

Return to “Buy, Sell, Trade”