Zeuke-TT, what's new?

Marquette

Re: Zeuke-TT, what's new?

Post by Marquette »

Rob - don't forget GN had a significant presence in southern British Columbia! BNSF still runs to Vancouver and to Nelson.
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
http://espeett.blogspot.com/

MacG

Post by MacG »

With these hints, I would never have thought of GTW. Congrats Ian!

Why Canadian PS-1 look-a-likes? Because of the smaller doors? The CP has bought PS-1 boxcars.

Series 268800-269099, 300 cars, 7-52, 6’ 5 Panel Superior doors
Series 269100-269599, 500 cars, 12-52, 6’ Youngstown doors
Series 269600-269999, 400 cars, 7-49, 6’ Youngstown doors

The sidewalls look welded. See CP 268984, CP 269221, and CP 269866,
Lok-n-Roll.de - we send worldwide :wink:

rdikken

Post by rdikken »

Hi Mirko,

I know these cars, they are planned after the 40 ft PS-1 with 8 ft door and the 50 ft PS-1 versions. That will take some time. And we start with the 40 ft PS-1 8 ft door, because I need a clear difference with the Gold Coast cars and it is the biggest group.

So it would be nice to find a car resembling enough to say the differences are not visable in TT, but see my other topic in "Prototype / Models".

Rob

TheKnighTT

Post by TheKnighTT »

Those were for Canadian Pacific's International of Maine Division.
Canadian railways were reluctant to buy from US companies and pay the import taxes. Those PS-1 assigned to the International of Maine could not be used on domestic duty in Canada. Probably explains why the PS-1 is rare among Canadian railways.

MacG

Post by MacG »

@TheKnighTT: But there are some photos of the CP cars from Alberta, Ontario, and Manitoba. Which not only suggests border traffic.

@Rob: It's nice that they're not completely excluded. However, the roof and end walls are already visible differences from the GC Steel boxcar. If you take the CP 268800-269099 series, the doors also look different due to the Superior door.

rdikken

Post by rdikken »

Why the 40 ft PS-1 with the 8 ft door.

It is impossible to produce all PS-1 cars with all their options. It would make the investment too high. So again the paramount as Alex has meantioned it. The investment has to be as low as possible with an as high as possible sales. So one is looking for main streams in the PS-1. In other words which groups of cars were produced in higher quantities to as much as possible customers, meaning different printouts.

The following groups were sold in order of their quantity:
- 40 ft with 8 ft door
- 50 ft double door
- 40 ft with 6 ft door / 50 ft with 9 ft door / 50 ft with 10 ft door
- 40 ft with 7 ft door / 50 ft with 8 ft door
- 40 ft double door

There is another reason to start with the 40 ft 8 ft car. It is more standardized than the 6 ft version. Less riveted panels, only roof B, no extra side panels, not too many crazy doors.

And yes, I need as much difference as possible with the GC cars because these 40 ft cars look good and are cheaper. Most beginning US TT users do not have the detailed knowledge you guys have. And for sure do not see those details in their first buy.

Why not starting with 40 ft 8 ft, than the 50 ft double door and than the 40 ft 6 ft?
Because there is a bigger need for 50 ft than for the 40 ft PS-1 in the actual situation with only 100 or so users and 3000 GC's sold.

If we have a user base of 1000 users, we can do so much more.

Rob

MacG

Post by MacG »

I didn't write that you should start with the 6-foot door. It's nice that you think of our Canadian friends. By the way, the GC CN Steel Boxcar was a very sought-after model here in Europe. I'm looking forward to the models with the 8ft wide door. :thumbup:

If the prices of the GC models had been adjusted for inflation over the years, they wouldn't be so inexpensive either. There were 36 models of the GC Steel Boxcar (9 paint schemes), most of which are sold out. About 4 paint schemes are still available.

Whether the trains are extended with 40ft or 50ft cars is almost the same. It comes down to variety or the customer's preferred RR company. With the 50ft cars, maybe the train can get longer for the same money. :wink:

rdikken

Post by rdikken »

Hi guys,

Something about prices and the cushion underframe. And please give me your opinion.

40 ft PS-1
Price for a simple car, brown with a white or a black printing: around 50$. A more colourful painting and printing will give a surcharge of 5$. Is there a cushion underframe, a shock absorbing realistic one, than we will have another surcharge of at least 5$. Take for an example the jade green NYC car, this car would get a price of around 60$.
50 ft PS-1
Due to the fact that we have a larger mold the basic price will be higher, let's say 55$. And now we will get the same surcharges as with the 40 ft. For an example the ice green GN car with the mountain goat logo, the red door and the cushion underframe will get a price from around 65$.

We are still talking about estimations. But the cushion underframe is a beautiful complex construction, which will cost money. And at this moment I am not sure if engineering can handle this. It is possible that we have to postpone cars with such a underframe to give them more time. If that is the case than the GN boxcar will be replace by a P&E jade green 50 ft car with a 10 ft door.

Ciao,
Rob

areibel

Post by areibel »

That sounds good Rob, that price compares with what the better quality HO cars go for.
And if the functioning cushioning works that would be a gold star for you, I'm not sure if that's available in HO or not. But if it is too complicated we could live without it!

MacG

Post by MacG »

The prices are acceptable. I can't say anything about the quality of the cars yet. There are no CAD drawings or renderings available. For newcomers, who should also be the target group, I find the prices a bit high. You won't be able to sell many freight cars in this price range.

In H0, there are freight cars with a functioning cushioning underframe. With TT, a correspondingly extended coupling on the model would be sufficient for me.

Return to “Buy, Sell, Trade”