Bigelov's projects

Bigelov

Re: Bigelov's projects

Post by Bigelov »

I just measured the MTB SW wheel, and it is 8.5mm. I just don't have any spares...
Steve B
Russia in Narrow Gauge
Bigelov's Flickr Account

MacG

Post by MacG »

An additional axis should be in the box. I know this is not enough. I have no idea if you can easily order spare parts from MTB.

But I hope that MTB will soon be offering truck towers again.
Lok-n-Roll.de - we send worldwide :wink:

RodTT

Post by RodTT »

I have four spare SW wheelsets. Interestingly two are 8.5mm and two are 8mm. They all have traction tyres though. I doubt I'll ever be using them so if they're any good to you I can send them just for the cost of postage from the UK.

Bigelov

Post by Bigelov »

Thanks guys for your input and thanks Rod for the offer. That link from KnighT is also a great resource.

I have one traction tyre wheelset, but that isn't terribly useful. My thoughts, based on the other loco I modified, is to drill out the gear to the axle size, take one wheel off (only one insulated wheel, while the other is metal to metal contact) and push it through the gear to the right spot and then put the wheel back on with the right back to back distance. Install all the wheelsets so the insulated wheel is on one side. I can then pickup on one wheel, and the other axle or wheel, whatever is easier.

8.3mm scales up to 1 metre (996mm actually), so that makes sense for the metric world to use as a wheelsize. While 40" sounds reasonable for those still using the Imperial system. the difference is only 0.2mm, or 0.008", so not enough to get too concerned about.

But I am getting ahead of myself :smile: Just decalling some NP hoppers at the moment...
Steve B
Russia in Narrow Gauge
Bigelov's Flickr Account

MacG

Post by MacG »

You can use the 8.3 mm wheels. These are used wheels.

The possible wear on the real wheel tread is greater than one inch. I found out that the minimum wheel diameter for a 40 "(1016mm) wheel is 933mm, which is a big difference.

Wheel And Axles Reference Manual from www.transport.nsw.gov.au - It should be the same standard in North America.

Bigelov

Post by Bigelov »

RS1 still on hold till I finish some more projects...

There was recent discussion about Russian space trains, and one type of car used at Baikonur cosmodrome are cryogenic tankers. There are a few different varieties, but I have been working on an older type based on a flat car made by Peresvet (an 8G512). Just need to clean up the prints and add some details and it will be ready for paint. I hope to make a few of these, and will look at photoetched details and decals printed. I haven't seen photos of this type at Baikomur, but I just think this is a cool looking car :smile:

There is a Flickr album showing the prototype
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152648222 ... 8530227404

In the background you may make out a group of NP woodchip cars awaiting decals...
Steve B
Russia in Narrow Gauge
Bigelov's Flickr Account

ConducTTor
Site Admin

Post by ConducTTor »

Very unique car. Can't wait to see it finished.
My website: https://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.

Bigelov

Post by Bigelov »

I am finally making good progress on the Meeker Southern SW9. The decals are installed and I am just in process of painting the silver chassis and bogies. Still have to work out wiring up the LED ditch lights once the components are reassembled. The end is in sight! (Been working on this one since March)

At the same time I am planing the Meeker Southern caboose. An International Car Co extended wide vision caboose, it was born for the Northern Pacific, then fostered to BN before being adopted by Meeker Southern. I found some good drawings of a similar (but not quite the same) ATSF caboose, and have used that along with the NP drawing and photos to draw it up. I am still working on drawing it with the end platforms and under chassis gear being the main areas to sort out. As with all my projects, it will be a while before it is finished.

Steve B
Russia in Narrow Gauge
Bigelov's Flickr Account

RodTT

Post by RodTT »

Such nice detail.
Is the SW9 body shell the MTB one?

MacG

Post by MacG »

These are beautiful little details on the exhaust ends. Also, the caboose knows to please. With some influence from your work, I also bought an Anycubic Photon, the Mono X model. The first print is still pending. A small room for printing is being set up. Maybe I can start next week.

Return to “Builders' Corner”