Bigelov's projects

Bigelov

Re: Bigelov's projects

Post by Bigelov »

It's been a while. It seems that the 'shortly' I mentioned in my last post has drawn out more than a month...

Alex, one of the reoccurring things from photos I was looking at was the jacks. I love technical stuff so those were a must have! Other machinery will also be drawn up and added in due course.

As for the TU7 up on jacks, I have finished drawing and printing the parts needed. A few more details and it will be ready for paint. The plan with this one is to have it up on jacks (with the bogies sitting on the rails), but also able to place the loco onto a full size flat car for transport on fat (12mm) tracks.

Alex, I also must apologise for what you can see behind the TU7, for what I have done to the SW9 that I bought from you last year... I just can't help myself (I do like building stuff). I get a new toy and about the first thing I do is pull it apart. When I got the model I thought, what do I want to model in US TT? Obviously something obscure, small scale, a bit out here away from the mainstream. I discovered the Ballard Terminal Railroad a while back, and its other short lines Eastside Freight, and Meeker Southern. The three loco's that are on their roster are a SW1, SW1200 (rebuilt) and an SW9. So I am building this one to be Meeker Southern SW9 MSN103.

Most of the details are finished, except for the pilots. I also have to sort out wiring for the ditch lights (you may see tiny strands of wire running around the pictures). Then it will be ready for paint. I have also been working on drawings for the decals. MSN103 is all silver from the walkways down, and one thing that stood out to me was the lack of brake cylinders on the bogies, and also the missing jack pads. These details may not be visible on a black bottomed loco, but hte details matter to me. They both came out well as 3D printed parts. On the bogie sideframe there is a stud on the back, so I was able to design the cylinder to slip over the stud to locate it and support provide support.

I am very happy with the way this has progressed. I hope my painting (and weathering!) will do the model justice.
Last edited by Bigelov on Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve B
Russia in Narrow Gauge
Bigelov's Flickr Account

RodTT

Post by RodTT »

I like that SW9, some very nice detail.

areibel

Post by areibel »

Beautiful work!

ConducTTor
Site Admin

Post by ConducTTor »

Love the work. The details are fantastic! Don't screw up the paint...no pressure lol
My website: https://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.

MacG

Post by MacG »

The fine details at the SW9 are just gorgeous. Can you share the 3D data of it with us?
Lok-n-Roll.de - we send worldwide :wink:

Bigelov

Post by Bigelov »

Thanks for the response guys. :smile:

I hadn't really thought about sharing the files. There are a lot of them, and not all would suit a generic SW9/1200. Brake cylinders and jack pads should suit all and be the easiest to add. Side tanks would probably suit most (that had this style of tank), but would involve potential damage to paintwork. The MTB tanks have sight glasses at one end, but I couldn't really see those from the pictures I was looking at, so they are omitted. I have also used wire for some of the pipework. MU points and ditch lights and horn (five chime on this one, though to fragile to attach until after painting!)) are probably quite specific.

Let me know what you think and I will consider what to do with the files.

One item which I almost forgot about was the RS1 Alco bogies from my first post in this thread. I have modified and reprinted them with free standing brake cylinder rods. Much better than slabs of material.

Steve B
Russia in Narrow Gauge
Bigelov's Flickr Account

Marquette

Post by Marquette »

That SW is superb!
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
http://espeett.blogspot.com/

Bigelov

Post by Bigelov »

I have finally got some paint on my narrow gauge loco shed. It is not bright white any longer! Maybe not very dark, but I am painting it in a light coloured Russian brick colour, a form of brick that you see quite frequently. It took a while to mix a colour I was happy with but I feel like real progress is now being made :)

I seem to jump between projects so that some just sit around looking neglected, while I carry on in leaps and bounds (at my slow pace...) with others. Part of it is needing more material, but part is just thinking about how to approach the next bit.
Steve B
Russia in Narrow Gauge
Bigelov's Flickr Account

ConducTTor
Site Admin

Post by ConducTTor »

Bigelov wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:02 pm
I seem to jump between projects...
You're doing much better than some of us :wink:
My website: https://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.

Bigelov

Post by Bigelov »

I have got the base colours on the SW9 shell. The artwork for the decals has been drawn up, but I still need to get them printed. I know a bloke...

While searching around this forum I keep finding interesting stuff. Related to the RS1 I found a few old posts talking about using N scale mechanisms from an Atlas ALCO C628/630 with TT scale wheels, such as:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1701&p=20031&hilit=c628#p20031
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2016&p=24192&hilit=c628

Has anyone tried this approach? I am tempted to give it a try.
Steve B
Russia in Narrow Gauge
Bigelov's Flickr Account

Return to “Builders' Corner”