Bigelov's projects

Bigelov

Re: Bigelov's projects

Post by Bigelov »

After just over a weeks work I have finished the external walls of the depot. Just need to clean up some filler and work out how to mount the doors so that they can open and close. Lots more work on the base and insides to follow!

You can see the basic footprint of the base with trackplan printed behind.
Steve B
Russia in Narrow Gauge
Bigelov's Flickr Account

MacG

Post by MacG »

That looks good! Did you 3D-print the brick walls?
Lok-n-Roll.de - we send worldwide :wink:

Bigelov

Post by Bigelov »

The brick is a textured plastic sheet from JTT Architectural Model Parts, which I picked up from my local hobby shop years ago. It is 1:100 scale, but certainly looks good.

Just looking on line for it, it seems it is now made in orange and also 1:125 scale, which should be better. There may be other manufacturers of similar sheet out there also.
http://miniaturetree.com/67-plastic-pattern-sheets?&p=2

I think my resin printer would not work well for printing something like this, perhaps a filament printer. I have seen some people 3D printing buildings and I do wonder why? unless you are printing more complicated building details. The finish on manufactured plastic sheet is so much better than printed lines. There is also something satisfying in building from the raw materials. Just my thoughts.
Steve B
Russia in Narrow Gauge
Bigelov's Flickr Account

MacG

Post by MacG »

Those are interesting plastic sheets. I agree the material is better than SLA-printed one.
Lok-n-Roll.de - we send worldwide :wink:

ConducTTor
Site Admin

Post by ConducTTor »

Looks really good!
My website: https://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.

Bigelov

Post by Bigelov »

The loco depot module/diorama is slowly coming together. Track has now been laid with wiring in but not yet connected. The building is just sitting on there at the moment for some pics showing off some of my rolling stock:)

Inside the shed are two pits to work under the rolling stock. Next to so is line the pits with styrene, lay the top layer of the floor and hang the doors. Then the building can be glued in place and work on the interior and roof! I am very happy with the way it is coming together.
Steve B
Russia in Narrow Gauge
Bigelov's Flickr Account

Rich1853

Post by Rich1853 »

Very nice Steve. Is that TT narrow gauge using N gauge tracks? For a more prototypical look in front and interior of your locomotive shed use the tram track made by Kato and Tomix, it has concrete between the rails instead of sleepers (ties). Auhagen also makes an inspection pit in N gauge #44646, I have the TT one. I purchased Tilligs tram track system for the front and interior of my two stall shed made by Temos. It comes in two different styles plain concrete and paving stones for the city look. They do make interconnect adapters.
This is my modeling goal, the DB Duisburg Wedau Gleisbau train yard, note the inspection pit in front off the Lokschuppen.
https://images.app.goo.gl/hFMNYPCbuS2uvWZ86
Rich1853
Greetings from Melbourne, Florida USA
On the Space Coast of Florida

Bigelov

Post by Bigelov »

Hi Rich,
The track is Z scale using code 40 rail, which is very close to the 750mm/2'6" gauge used in a lot of Eastern Europe and Russia. I use a Fast Tracks #5 Nn3 points jig and filing tools for building the track, and Microtrains Z scale bogies. A few of them are very similar to some of the Russian narrow gauge ones.
But I had not even considered if there were any pits in available that I could adapt for this build! The windows and side door in the building are Auhagen (the arched ones modified with more smaller window panes) and I do actually have the Auhagen TT pit and water crane set siting in a box here... I bought a whole heap of Auhagen windows and doors a long time back.
I soldered the rail to some 1'16 brass square tube to keep it in gauge over the pits as code 40 is very flexible. Not an easy task that one, but it worked out after a couple of attempts.
The Russian narrow gauge line that I am basing my layout on in a proto-freelanced sort of way is at Lipakovo, Arkhangelsk Oblast and is very remote. To get there is by vehicle ferry across the Onega River. It was built during the 1950's specifically as a logging line. So I am combining that location and atmosphere with other inspirations (such as this Spintires garage based loco depot).
Youtube link to an inspiring video of the line just a few years ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttD0HasYqYw
And a forum post about that trip with lots of photos: https://www.forum.aroundspb.ru/index.ph ... oto=168817 (remember Google translate is your friend)
Pouring over a lot of Russian narrow gauge photos, most of them are fairly run down and only a few have hardstanding outside their depots, so I decided to just have dirt outside rather than concrete. I hope to embed most of the track and sleepers under the dirt also.
As for your depot, that is a different story! Looks like it has had a facelift with an extra track into the shed? I find those places intriguing, with their interesting track arrangements and mix of locos, maintenance and technical equipment. So much interesting stuff in one place. How is your progress on modelling the place?
Steve B
Russia in Narrow Gauge
Bigelov's Flickr Account

Bigelov

Post by Bigelov »

I haven't been idle over the last few weeks. I was about to post an update when the site was pulled for maintenance.
So the loco shed exterior is now complete:
Yes all very white and boring... Need to work on lighting and interior electrical conduit and it will be ready for paint.

Also working on drawing and printing details for the workshop items inside. Loco jacks are finished :smile: They will sit over the central bay pit, lifting some rolling stock, for now it will be a TU7 static model which I am working on.
Lots more planned to fill out the workshop with machinery, spare parts and other junk, but all the details will be worked on over time. I have a sort of plan to show it at the Australian Narrow Gauge Convention at Easter time next year.

I will post another update shortly about non Russian stuff. :thumbup:
Steve B
Russia in Narrow Gauge
Bigelov's Flickr Account

ConducTTor
Site Admin

Post by ConducTTor »

This is the first time I've seen anyone put loco jacks in a model workshop. Can't wait until you fill the place up and have everything painted. Yes, it's very white lol.
My website: https://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.

Return to “Builders' Corner”