Bigelov's projects

ConducTTor
Site Admin

Re: Bigelov's projects

Post by ConducTTor » Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:52 pm

:clap: tiny stuff is very satisfying when you get it right.
:wave:

Bigelov

Post by Bigelov » Sun Jul 03, 2022 5:38 am

Here is Meeker Southern MSN10046 'fresh' out of the paint shop. Just need to touch up all the damage and hand paint a few details.

It is so good to get the paint on this project. It has been over 20 months stewing. The end railings were a bit of a pain and I had to trim down the ladder end. Paint peeled of the wire handrails, so that was a shame also. But with some touch ups and a lot of filth to match the loco all will be good :smile:

Well, that is the total amount of Meeker Southern rolling stock now. Or is it? One of their other rail businesses, Eastside Freight Railroad has closed and I have recently seen their loco (SW1200R EFXR109) re-coded to MSN109 and relocated to the Meeker Southern compound. Anyone need to get rid of any of their MTB SW's?

Their other company, the original one, is Ballard Terminal Railroad using an SW1. This group of short lines really attracted me with their little switching locos (all SW series as made by MTB) and interesting mix of industries and rolling stock they moved. Ballard Terminal also has street running which is very cool. So if anyone has another MTB SW unwanted and just gathering dust, you know who to call :whistle:
Steve B
Russia in Narrow Gauge
Bigelov's Flickr Account

ConducTTor
Site Admin

Post by ConducTTor » Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:52 am

Looks really good, can't wait for the weathering.
:wave:

Marquette

Post by Marquette » Sun Jul 03, 2022 12:42 pm

Bigelov wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 5:38 am Their other company, the original one, is Ballard Terminal Railroad using an SW1. This group of short lines really attracted me with their little switching locos (all SW series as made by MTB) and interesting mix of industries and rolling stock they moved. Ballard Terminal also has street running which is very cool. So if anyone has another MTB SW unwanted and just gathering dust, you know who to call :whistle:
Please note that the MTB model (probably) isn't suitable, or will be a lot of work, for an SW1 - the SW1 had a much shorter body so you'd have to cut the cast metal chunk back and shorten the PCB as well...
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
http://espeett.blogspot.com/

TiTan downunder

Post by TiTan downunder » Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:48 am

>> Anyone need to get rid of any of their MTB SW's? <<

OK, I guess I could spare 1 out of the 12 I have if you REALLY want to do another one. BUT, is this gonna cost ya boyoh! hahahahaha
You could even have an undec so you don't have to strip the paint this time. Mind you, I've only got friction sideframes.
OH, and the way, that loco & caboose set you've done - look great mate.
Ian

Bigelov

Post by Bigelov » Tue Jul 05, 2022 3:33 am

Marquette, you are correct! The MTB SW isn't really made for the SW1. The hood is much shorter on the SW1, with a toolbox looking thing in front.

At the back of the current model, the frame steps down behind the cab and I thought I could do a similar thing at the front to turn convert it. The gear tower behind the cab is also modified (a chunk of plastic cut away down to the worm gear) so that it would fit in that lower space. I would have to do the same thing at the front. I hadn't thought about the PCB though. That would take a bit to do also. I was planning on making the SW1200R first though, so I have a bit more thinking time...

And Ian, I would be very interested in an undecorated SW :) (Do you have one of each livery they made or something?). I was thinking about getting some more items from you anyway, so expect an email soon! But next loco in the works will be the GP38-2 body kit I recently got from master ConducTTor.

I am starting to work on a transportable (exhibition?) layout also so that I can actually run some trains (rather than the Tillig roadbed set track loop on the kitchen table that I currently use). I might start a layout thread to talk about all things tracks, from my first wargaming track to this upcoming module.
Steve B
Russia in Narrow Gauge
Bigelov's Flickr Account

Marquette

Post by Marquette » Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:06 am

Marquette, you are correct! The MTB SW isn't really made for the SW1. The hood is much shorter on the SW1, with a toolbox looking thing in front.
When the SW1200 was first announced one of my first thoughts was to do a Pere Marquette SW1, alas once I had one in my hands I could see that it wouldn't be possible (for me, anyways). I was similarly a little annoyed by the chassis design, with it having the part under the cab as wide as the inside of the cab - if it would be of uniform width I could use it for a centre cab unit... ah well.

Bigelov

Post by Bigelov » Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:28 am

All dirtied up.

The second photo was photo stacked using the free CombineZP program using about 10 photos. It has done strange things to the background leaves while making the model in focus. It is mid winter down here, so the leaves of the hedge along the back fence has browned off and the sun is low in the sky.

Marquette, is that where you got your name from, the Pere Marquette Railway? I think they designed the loco that way to have the largest amount of weight under the hood/cab. Just makes it difficult to convert things... And the board follows the same shape also, which you can see on the last page where I wired up the ditch lights, making conversion even more difficult. Manufacturers just don't plan on their products being heavily modified by the user!
Steve B
Russia in Narrow Gauge
Bigelov's Flickr Account

Marquette

Post by Marquette » Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:06 am

Bigelov wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:28 am Marquette, is that where you got your name from, the Pere Marquette Railway?
It is! I was at the time planning to model the PM, even got as far as starting work on a BL2 - scratchbuilt body using parts of a BTTB Nohab shell, sheet styrene, and a lot of putty... eventually drifted away from that but the name stuck.
I think they designed the loco that way to have the largest amount of weight under the hood/cab. Just makes it difficult to convert things... And the board follows the same shape also, which you can see on the last page where I wired up the ditch lights, making conversion even more difficult. Manufacturers just don't plan on their products being heavily modified by the user!
I get it, but kinda their loss - could have sold more if more easily converted!

Bigelov

Post by Bigelov » Sat Jul 16, 2022 8:10 am

I have had a couple of Piko TGK2 four wheel baby shunting locomotives for a while and have wanted to convert them to Micro trains couplers, but was struggling to work out how. One of the problems is that the NMRA and NEM coupler heights vary dramatically, so there is no quick swapping to your favourite coupler.

The image below illustrates the problem, with the original NEM pocket on the left, and a converted NEM pocket set at NMRA height on the right. The coupler used is a Dapol N gauge easi-fit magnetic coupling, and the converted pocket is a Peco OO9 NEM Coupling pocket. I originally tried finding a Micro-trains coupler that I could adapt, but never could work the problem out.

Below is the space available for the conversion. The coupler cover is removed and shows the Piko coupler screwed in with two screws at the top, and below is the same space with the coupler removed. This is the usable space that we can add a 'new' coupler pocket system into.

I had heard that the Dapol couplers were compatible with Kadee/Microtrains couplers, but that the NEM pocket height was just wrong. So I went searching for another NEM pocket that I thought might do the job. The Peco OO9 version has a large offset that I thought I could work into the TGK coupler space.

Below shows what I came up with. Made from various thickensses of styrene, the initial piece was shaped to sit in the angled 'T' shaped section to lock it in place, with other thicknesses to set the coupler height right and fill the space with styrene. Going from top to bottom I used .040 'T' shaped piece, .010 spacer, 2x .080 spacers (one either side of the Peco OO9 coupler pocket). and a final .030 cover. I pinned the Peco pocket with .020 brass wire to make sure it couldn't pull out.

On the orange loco above you can see a gap between the coupler and the frame, but I had pulled the loco so far apart that it was minus the buffer beam/frame end. I had to carve some details away so that the coupler fitted snug against the buffer beam, and carve a recess directly above the coupler so that the 'new' fitting would seat fully in the space. Some of the edges of the styrene also needed to be shaved down a bit so that the 'new' coupling would push and rotate into the coupler pocket space. There were two extra coupler covers with the loco, I guess so that you could remove a coupler and fill the gap with a cosmetic buffer beam cover. I used those covers, carving a square space for the Peco NEM pocket.

At the end of the day, we now have a couple of TGK2s able to couple to all the rest of my Micro-trains coupler fitted rolling stock. A little bit chunky, and a bit larger distance than I would prefer, but a good outcome and another possibility for converting loco coupling systems.

Steve B
Russia in Narrow Gauge
Bigelov's Flickr Account

Return to “Builders' Corner”