Bigelov's projects

Bill Dixon

Re: Bigelov's projects

Post by Bill Dixon »

Bigelov wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:52 pm With the SW9 up and running I have moved to Meeker Southern caboose MSN10046, ex Northern Pacific (and then BN) from the late 60's. I posted a part completed 3D drawing on the previous page, and have finished drawing and printing it in parts.

That is a good looking caboose!
Is this a private project or will a few copies be available to interested modellers?
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC

milwrd1

Post by milwrd1 »

The wire work is very good. :thumbup: I've made some grab irons from brass 0.012 stock and 0.010 stock, it can only be more difficult with the 0.008 wire. 2 questions...Did you use brass or stainless steel wire?? and, the curved grab irons on the sides, what did you use to form the grab irons?? The curves are to good and to consistent to be free formed.

Bigelov

Post by Bigelov »

The wire I have been using is nickel-silver from Albion Alloys, available locally. I have it in 0.2 (0.008") and 0.33mm (0.013") diameter. I also have some K&S brass and aluminium rod and tube, starting at .5mm (0.020"). I would like to get the wire in phosphor bronze, but will have to order that in so haven't done that yet. Much easier picking stuff up locally. We are very lucky to have two hobby shops in the region!

That Arduino wire bender is a bit crazy! Maybe one day... But I do use jigs for bending when needed. Also a pair of tapered pliers with grooves across to hold the wire nicely. The jigs are just some wire rod in a piece of MDF set at the correct distance to bend around. I also use these sorts of jigs for soldering up the handrails, such as on the ends of the SW9, and on the cryogenic car roof. I will post some pics in due course and describe what I do more fully.

The large curved handrail was bent around a drill bit. It is just over 1/2" diameter, but the nickel silver is very springy, so I had to use a 1/4" drill! First I bent the end 90° and then held that against the drill while using a fingernail to form it around the curve, then bend the other end and cut it off.

With all the things I am making, I am trying to make it re-makable so that others can benefit as well, so I hope to have the caboose available once I have it sorted. Cast in resin, rather than printed (but maybe details printed), perhaps some photoetch if needed (think end platforms). Nothing happens as quick as I would like :) And I still have to work out resin casting and photoetching...

One of the problems is that every RR company had a different caboose. They were all very similar, but different in details. So which one to make? The main differences I have noticed is windows, location of cupola, platform ends and underbody details. This one is based on the NP 10400-10424 series from 1969.
Steve B
Russia in Narrow Gauge
Bigelov's Flickr Account

ConducTTor
Site Admin

Post by ConducTTor »

Bigelov wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:11 pmI will post some pics in due course and describe what I do more fully.
Looking forward to that :thumbup:
:wave:

milwrd1

Post by milwrd1 »

The large curved handrail was bent around a drill bit. It is just over 1/2" diameter, but the nickel silver is very springy, so I had to use a 1/4" drill! First I bent the end 90° and then held that against the drill while using a fingernail to form it around the curve, then bend the other end and cut it off.
Thanks for the info on bending the curved caboose grab irons. I'll have to try the nickel-silver material. Generally, I feel the brass I previously used is to soft (easy to bend by susceptible to damage after installation) and the stainless steel is to hard (I've stuck myself more than once bending some of the stainless steel). I also have some 0.010 phosphor bronze, maybe next time I'll give it a try.

Return to “Builders' Corner”