Bigelov's projects

Bigelov

Re: Bigelov's projects

Post by Bigelov » Fri May 06, 2022 7:47 am

Ah, the age old question of pale or red bricks?

This link shows a pic of an actual narrow gauge shed (for a Latvian peat line), which I have also used for inspiration for this project. It is from the Russian Narrow Paravoz website https://narrow.parovoz.com/newgallery/p ... RU#picture

One of the things I have noticed while browsing around Russian railway websites is the common use of pale bricks for their buildings. I suspect from around the 1970's onwards? Red bricks are also used, but I thought I would go with pale brick to locate the scene a bit more in time and place. In my model the bricks are actually a bit too cream, and should be more grey.

With the brick colour you could go either way, I decided to go pale.
Steve B
Russia in Narrow Gauge
Bigelov's Flickr Account

Bigelov

Post by Bigelov » Wed May 25, 2022 4:53 am

Finished weathering the Meeker Southern SW9, and what a mess it is!

The best photo's I have of the machine are from 2014 and it looked a mess then! Wonder how it fares now?

From Flickr also: https://flic.kr/p/pGYcoP wouldn't let me embed this image :(
Steve B
Russia in Narrow Gauge
Bigelov's Flickr Account

ConducTTor
Site Admin

Post by ConducTTor » Wed May 25, 2022 10:27 am

Very prototypical ;)
:wave:

MacG

Post by MacG » Sat May 28, 2022 1:54 pm

You have reproduced the prototype very well. Nice! :thumbup:
Lok-n-Roll.de - we send worldwide :wink:

rdikken

Post by rdikken » Mon May 30, 2022 8:40 am

Wow, beautiful! Was this once a MTB SW9?

Bigelov

Post by Bigelov » Mon May 30, 2022 6:54 pm

Hi Rob,

Yes it was! And a large amount of it still is an MTB SW9 :)

I have been documenting the build off an on in this blog. All the photos in various stages of modification are also in my US TT Scale Modelling Flickr album with here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/25469807@ ... 2122639806
Steve B
Russia in Narrow Gauge
Bigelov's Flickr Account

Bigelov

Post by Bigelov » Sun Jun 05, 2022 7:00 am

It took me a long time to get the lights working in the narrow gauge shed and the Meeker Southern SW9. LED's was/is just another new thing for me to learn.

My main question was what value of resistor to use? Eventually I bought some surface mount resistors in several values 510Ω, 1kΩ and 2kΩ. I used the 2k for the engine shed lights along with a 9volt power supply. As the resistors were so small I then wondered how to solder them all together to simplify the wiring. Below is a pic of how I did it:

I used some waste PC board from long Fast Tracks turnout ties. Fortunately these had a larger end where I soldered the power too, and one pad of the resistor. These were then held onto the base of the module with canopy glue, and covered in glue to help keep it all together. So far it has worked out real well.

After building up some confidence with the engine shed I then moved onto the SW9. This was the first time I really looked at the engine and PC board and made a wonderful discovery. It already has solder pads with resistors!
Below are the pics showing the solder pads and and their polarity (for if you ever feel the need to add more lights...) Again I used Canopy glue to hold the wires in place.

Steve B
Russia in Narrow Gauge
Bigelov's Flickr Account

TiTan downunder

Post by TiTan downunder » Mon Jun 06, 2022 6:47 am

Steve, if you want some more P C boards to play with I have 3 or 4 that were removed from the MTB switchers. The loco's would not run and I don't know if the boards were duds or whatever. I hard wired the loco's and now all run without fault ( and headlights at this stage ). Another project I haven't got back to finish.
Ian

ConducTTor
Site Admin

Post by ConducTTor » Mon Jun 06, 2022 3:24 pm

Wonderful work. There are LED resistor calculators available online - just google.
:wave:

Bigelov

Post by Bigelov » Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:45 am

I recently got the etches for the Meeker Southern caboose project end platforms. I am just finishing up working on some of my mates 2mm finescale VR (Victorian Railways) rolling stock kits, then will get into finishing the caboose. It is a bit of origami with multiple small folds and bits to solder, but will look great when complete.

Steve B
Russia in Narrow Gauge
Bigelov's Flickr Account

Return to “Builders' Corner”